east europe experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

afhurt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm strongly considering medical school in eastern Europe and am flying to Prague this winter to investigate the choices. From what I've read so far I expect to visit schools in Czech, Poland and Hungary. There seems to be a consensus that the Third Faculty of Charles, Semmelweis and Jagiellonian are excellent schools and I mean to visit these three in particular (unless I am dissuaded).

I'd appreciate some recommendations for a number of other good schools in the region from people who have attended them. I need to come up with a roster of about 8 schools that would be cadidates understanding that I'll probably be visiting about six. Apart from the obvious things that I can see for myself using internet research, I'd like to hear from people who had good subjective experiences with the school and the city as a whole. Also any hidden gems that I might not notice otherwise. Actually, strike that...any remarks from anyone who attended any school in this region would be brilliant.

If I get a good response out of this I'm more than willing to build up a catalogue of first-hand remarks that would be useful to other people with questions similar to mine.

danke,
andrew h

Members don't see this ad.

hey andrew. if you are from the states, i would not go to third fac, simply because they are not CA approved. i would avoid all the polish schools for this same reason. the hungarian schools and first fac should be fine to return to the states.

if you are from UK i think that any czech, polish or hungarian 6-year program is a decent bet. i have heard rumblings that it is much more difficult to return to the UK now, so look into that. i would avoid the 4 year polish programs because there may be additional roadblocks to working in the UK. in fact, i would avoid the 4 year programs in general.

so, from my limited exposure, i would say be sure to visit all the hungarian and czech schools. i personally wouldn't go to poland at all.

let me know if you have specific questions about first faculty.

I not certain that I would wholeheartedly recommend a Hungarian medical school for you. Not because they aren't solid academically, but because they are not designed for US students (and their expectations). I even go so far as to say that none of the programs in CENTRAL EUROPE (the Czech Republic, Hungary and Poland are all on Central European Time and are members of the EU) are really designed for US students (which you appear to be based on your other post).

I don't have the time to list the advantages and disadvantages of medical education in CE, so I'd suggest that you visit the European forum at www.valuemd.com and do a search on the particular schools and/or countries. You'll find hundreds of posts.

Good luck.

hi,

im in 4th year at first factulty and i agree with what neilc says..i would say to come here as i feel its OVERALL the best faculty in the czech republic...it has its pros and cons like most places..i will try to answer any questions that you may have..

afhurt said:
I'm strongly considering medical school in eastern Europe and am flying to Prague this winter to investigate the choices. From what I've read so far I expect to visit schools in Czech, Poland and Hungary. There seems to be a consensus that the Third Faculty of Charles, Semmelweis and Jagiellonian are excellent schools and I mean to visit these three in particular (unless I am dissuaded).

I'd appreciate some recommendations for a number of other good schools in the region from people who have attended them. I need to come up with a roster of about 8 schools that would be cadidates understanding that I'll probably be visiting about six. Apart from the obvious things that I can see for myself using internet research, I'd like to hear from people who had good subjective experiences with the school and the city as a whole. Also any hidden gems that I might not notice otherwise. Actually, strike that...any remarks from anyone who attended any school in this region would be brilliant.

If I get a good response out of this I'm more than willing to build up a catalogue of first-hand remarks that would be useful to other people with questions similar to mine.

danke,
andrew h