East Tennessee State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDKD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone else is applying to ETSU, and if so, have you heard anything from them yet?

Members don't see this ad.

I spoke to them on Wednesday and they said they had delayed the first committee meeting to review applications until the PCAT scores were in. She said the scores came in on Friday and the committee would be meeting by the end of the week or the first of next week. She said to check back in two weeks if I haven't heard from them before then. I was placed on the waiting list for the first class and I recieved all my invitation and information by email. I hope this helps.

Great thread. I've been wondering the same thing for a few weeks now. I thought about calling ETSU next week to inquire about my status, but now that I have this new information, I'll definately hold off for a few weeks! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I spoke to them on Wednesday and they said they had delayed the first committee meeting to review applications until the PCAT scores were in. She said the scores came in on Friday and the committee would be meeting by the end of the week or the first of next week. She said to check back in two weeks if I haven't heard from them before then. I was placed on the waiting list for the first class and I recieved all my invitation and information by email. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the info!

How was your interview there (if you don't mind me asking :) )? I've never seen anyone in the forum that has any experience with how ETSU's interviews go.

How was your interview there (if you don't mind me asking :) )? I've never seen anyone in the forum that has any experience with how ETSU's interviews go.

from ETSU::

"The interview day will begin with continental breakfast at 8:00 a.m. During your visit you will participate in a tour of the facilities, complete an extemporaneous writing assignment and interview with two members of the admissions committee. Additionally, you will have the opportunity to meet the Dean as well as other members of the Leadership Team and staff. These activities should conclude by noon at which time lunch will take place.

The interview is unstructured (i.e., no specific set of questions) and is designed to get to know more about “you the person,” rather than any other specific aspect. The best advice is to simply be yourself and come prepared to ask questions and to learn more about us while you are here."

On my interview, it began by meeting in a small library building where there was a small breakfast buffet, they took our picture and gave us a name tag. We didn't stay there long before they took us to an auditorium where we were given a basic run down of the days events, the dean spoke to us about the interview cycle and a few other people spoke about the progress of the school. Next they divided us into three groups. One group was taken on a tour of the campus area for the pharmacy school, one group was taken to complete the writing exercise, and the last group was taken to interview. Then each group just switched out over the next few hours. I was interviewed by two committee members. One was a professor and one was a pharmacist. The whole process was low stress and very interesting. The labs at ETSU are excellent because they are also used for the Medical school. The interviewers were nice and made me feel relaxed. I have interviewed at three other school in the past years and ETSU was by far the best interview I have ever had. If you have anymore questions I would be glad to answer them. Hope this helps you prepare for the interview

Thanks so much! That helps alot. It sounds very similar to the interview I had a Mercer earlier this semester. The only difference is being interviewed by a pharmacist. I am glad to know that they keep it very low key...hopefully being in the first round will increase our chances! (Btw, I love your avatar)!

My interview was the last scheduled interview date, I'm sure this is why I was placed on the alternate list. At that point there were only 12 seats for about 45-50 students. I am really hoping this first interview will increase our chances too. I interviewed once at Mercer (waitlisted too) and it was very similar. I do hope I see you there, Good Luck!

Hey Ashphrodite Congrats on getting accepted into Mercer. I found out today that I'm accepted off the alternate list for ETSU so I will be attending in the first class that begins in January. Good Luck in pharmacy school.

Hey Ashphrodite Congrats on getting accepted into Mercer. I found out today that I'm accepted off the alternate list for ETSU so I will be attending in the first class that begins in January. Good Luck in pharmacy school.

Congratulations Pharmbug and Ashphrodite.

Pharmbug, I was just wondering why is ETSU starting classes in January opposed to Fall of 07 like other schools?

The first class should have started in Fall 06 but was delayed to Spring 06 to allow for the accred. process to be approved to continue. The first year will be accelerated (Spring/Summer/Fall) to catch up and then will continue with a normal Fall/Spring schedule. All interviews now are for the Fall 07 class. I was placed on an alternate list for the first inagural class. Fall 07 will be the second class. I was planning the trip to interview on Wednesday for my second interview when I received the call from them. Good Luck!

Congrats! I'm heading down to ETSU tomorrow for my second interview (waitlisted the first time). :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! I'm heading down to ETSU tomorrow for my second interview (waitlisted the first time). :)

I noticed you were accepted to South, if you get in ETSU too, which school will you attend? I was on South's alternate list twice...I guess it just wasn't for me. I hope you receive a call too from ETSU so you can begin in January instead of August. Good Luck tomorrow!

I noticed you were accepted to South, if you get in ETSU too, which school will you attend? I was on South's alternate list twice...I guess it just wasn't for me. I hope you receive a call too from ETSU so you can begin in January instead of August. Good Luck tomorrow!

You know, honestly, I'm not 100% positive. South and ETSU are my two top-choice schools. One thing that ETSU has over South (for me) is distance. I'm only one hour from there. Here we go again!

They both have a lot of appeal to me. On the other hand, South is in a beautiful area with awesome facilities plus it's a three-year institution.

Yay! I'm so happy for you! Congrats! I love Mercer, but ETSU is my first choice so hopefully I'll be there in the fall!! :)

Could any of you guys who have visited the school tell me how Johnson City is?

Well, I'm at UNC SoP but I did my undergrad at ETSU.

Johnson City is your typical small city. They have a mall, a super walmart, etc. Not really rural but not really "city like" either. A good proportion of the population is college students, so it has the college town feel. Lots of bars, etc. for students. It has some definate pluses, some of which are proximity to outdoors things like whitewater rafting, camping, hiking... Only 55 minutes from Asheville, NC if you need a dose of "culture" (foreign film or a festival or something).

Overall it's a great place to live (I think). Cost of living can't be beat, close to the Mountains, can be at the beach in 6 hours...

About the only bad thing is that the airport sucks. It is very expensive to fly out of TRI. I always drove to Knoxville (1.5 hours) or Asheville (1 hour) or Charlotte (3 hr) if I had to fly anyplace.

The pharmacy school is going to have a cool setup... on the campus of the VA(which is beautiful), along with the Quillen Med school, with the VA as a teaching hospital, and another regional hospital next door (Johnson City Regional Med Ctr).

I miss Johnson City, it's not bad at all. If anyone has any questions about JC you can ask me. I can tell you stuff like what parts of town to NOT rent in :laugh:

Johnson City is your typical small city. They have a mall, a super walmart, etc. Not really rural but not really "city like" either. A good proportion of the population is college students, so it has the college town feel. Lots of bars, etc. for students. It has some definate pluses, some of which are proximity to outdoors things like whitewater rafting, camping, hiking... Only 55 minutes from Asheville, NC if you need a dose of "culture" (foreign film or a festival or something).

Overall it's a great place to live (I think). Cost of living can't be beat, close to the Mountains, can be at the beach in 6 hours...

About the only bad thing is that the airport sucks. It is very expensive to fly out of TRI. I always drove to Knoxville (1.5 hours) or Asheville (1 hour) or Charlotte (3 hr) if I had to fly anyplace.

The pharmacy school is going to have a cool setup... on the campus of the VA(which is beautiful), along with the Quillen Med school, with the VA as a teaching hospital, and another regional hospital next door (Johnson City Regional Med Ctr).

I miss Johnson City, it's not bad at all. If anyone has any questions about JC you can ask me. I can tell you stuff like what parts of town to NOT rent in :laugh:

Thank you very much!!!

I'm having to find a place to live quickly. I just found out I'm in the first class and only have two and a half weeks to move. Do you have any suggestions for good places to rent? I need affordable and safe. Also, do you know where to look to find out if people need roommates? Thanks

I went to the interview last Wednesday and found out on Friday that I was accepted! I'll see you there in the fall, Pharmbug! Yay! Good luck with your first year! :) And yes, the labs were awesome...I really loved the human simulators. haha

I was at the interview last Wednesday, too, but I haven't heard anything yet. I hope the mail is just slow.

I was at the interview last Wednesday, too, but I haven't heard anything yet. I hope the mail is just slow.

Where do you live? I don't live very far away at all, so I'm sure that's why mine came so soon. Also, the holidays probably slowed down the mail flow some.

I live in Weaverville (next to Asheville), but I'm just guessing the holiday season has slowed down the mail flow over the mountain. I did receive a housing contract for Buccaneer Ridge today but nothing else. Congratulations, by the way!

I went to the interview last Wednesday and found out on Friday that I was accepted! I'll see you there in the fall, Pharmbug! Yay! Good luck with your first year! :) And yes, the labs were awesome...I really loved the human simulators. haha

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you. I'll see you in the Fall:)

Can you guys that got in share your stats? I just sent in my application for the fall, and I was wondering what kind of students they're accepting. Any advice is appreciated!

My GPA is 3.25 and my PCAT is 73. I am a certified tech with six years experience. They told us that the highest GPA and PCAT is not what they are looking for. The want a well rounded student. ETSU is looking for dedicated students who have worked in the field and want to work in Tennessee after graduation. It is a great school that will offer a lot for the student. Good Luck!

Did anyone get an interview yet? Anyone applying who received an invite for an interview willing to share their stats? :)

I just got an email about two weeks ago saying that my application's complete, and that I should be hearing from them within three weeks. I'm anxiously waiting...

Did anyone get an interview yet? Anyone applying who received an invite for an interview willing to share their stats? :)

I just got an email about two weeks ago saying that my application's complete, and that I should be hearing from them within three weeks. I'm anxiously waiting...

Note: most of this thread was from last year.

I have had an interview there, and have actually been accepted. They called me a couple of days after they received my app to invite me for an interview the following Tuesday, so it was kind of last minute. My interview was on December the 19th, I think. ETSU then makes their decision that very day and sends out acceptance letters the next morning. So I was accepted within a week of them getting my application. It kind of left me dizzy.

-As for stats:
-GPA: 3.33
-Science: 3.33
-PCAT: 95
-BA in Biology, minor in History from Wellesley College
-Worked as a compounding technician since June '07
-Smattering of ECs and volunteering

I interviewed in November and was accepted like 3 days later. I have secured my seat, but Im not sure if I want to go there or not. The fact that they are not fully accredited still kind of bothers me. What do uguys think about that?

Stats:
GPA: 3.996
GPAS: 4.0
115 Hours, AS Mathematics, BS Chemistry
PCAT: ~67
EXP: 16 months CPhT