East Tennessee State University

Discussion in 'Audiology [ Au.D ]' started by teucer, Dec 23, 2008.

1. teucer

teucer I'll take an M-14 any day
    2+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    Apparently, ETSU integrates a clinical within the Au.D. students' first year. From what a faculty member told me they have the student do courses mostly in the evening because they want the students in clinical during the day. The faculty make this known as something that sets their program apart from others of its kind throughout the country. I was very surprised at this; has anyone else heard of this sort of methodology being instituted in other programs at another university? :confused: Forget a part-time job...more Dorito dinners.

Seems to me like this would be detrimental to students. It is difficult enough getting adjusted to graduate school & going "fat in the fire" in some cases getting re-settled in a new area. Not getting paid with the whole clinical thing on top of doing bookwork leaves a heavy burden on even the most prepared students. I asked what the attrition rate was; one year it totalled 50%...I was not surprised. Most students who dropped ended up doing so in their freshman year.

This does not sound like the most optimal of curriculum structure. :thumbdown:

2. missaudiology

Rehab Sci Student
    My school had classes just about every day in the 1st year and it was definitely a full time job. Does ETSU offer graduate assistantships? GAs usually cover tuition as well as provide a stipend. The 1st year is intense and you will really only have time for a 10-15 hr FLEXIBLE job which is hard to find unless you are working on campus somewhere.

The subsequent years 2nd & 3rd all have clinical in the day and coursework at night = no time for job.

Hopefully you find a 4th year that pays.

Take home message: Rely on student loans. You are not expected to work at all while youre in medical school or law school.. audiology is not very different. Even with a GA everyone still gets students loans because you can't pay rent on $15/hr for 10 hrs a week.

3. chicoborja

chicoborja Clinical Audiologist
    10+ Year Member

I'm currently in a program with a guy who used to be a research assistant there and he had some pretty good things to say about Drs. Wilson and Smurzynski. Based on his comments, their faculty roster, and their integration with a large, local VA, I would definitely consider it a solid, but probably overlooked by some, program. I wasn't aware of their early integration of clinical experience but it sounds like a good idea. It is understandable that to be concerned about having time to work and pay bills. My suggestion would be to look into student loans, graduate assistantships, and stipends/fellowships offered by the given program. If you want to go to school out-of-state, if you can, find a program that will give you money to go there (tuition waivers plus stipends).

4. Loc Finesse

2+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    I don't see anything wrong integrating clinicals in during the 1st year (or 1st semester) of any graduate program. I went to a school that did this, and I felt really prepared as an independent clinician once I graduated. Even better, I attend undergrad that required observation time + treatment time before graduation! (Can you imagine being a clinician during your senior year of college!?) I spoke with many clinical supervisors during ASHA this year and, of course, their biggest concern is graduating qualified, competent individuals. As novice clinicans, there is a level of critical thinking that needs to be mastered and why not start as soon as one could:thumbup:. Yeh, grad school is going to be stressful, but consider being ill-prepared in the long run. Trust me, you'll be happy you remembered "the clean up" song during that preschool internship as a graduate clinican, as you are rolling around on the carpet trying to get the kid to do something for you!

I hope you don't consider working while trying to do graduate school, between your classes and clinicals, that is a job in itself! If you cannot sacrifice working (because life happens!), possibly look into programs that are flexible with your work schedule.

But I've seriously digressed....

I think ETSU's curriculum is no less structured, or more structured than many of the other programs out there (except for Vanderbilt, ranked #1). As the other post stated, having a large VA system, is a big bonus to the program (if that's what you want to do upon graduation). Programs want to put out the best students and sometimes, that means revamping their current curriculum to reflect what other schools are doing. I agree that ETSU is an overlooked program, I like it, but geographically, not the most apppealing location....:oops:

5. teucer

2+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    Appealing location? That is relative. I'm freezing my ass off in Alaska right now. Tennessee, anywhere in TN, seems fine to me right now.

Clean up song? I'm good. Rather work with geriatrics.

I'll have to work at least weekends with my military unit as a I transition to the active ready reserve but I would like to have an assitantship for extra income. I do not think this is unheard of. If I can work full time and go to school full time as an undergraduate, in the active duty military component no less, I see no reason why I would not consider working part time and going to school full-time.

One ripoff I see coming is the unpaid fourth year. Knowing students have little leverage insofar as salary goes the externship programs are discussing having a 100% unpaid fourth year. This has been spurred on by the rough economy. It blows bigtime hogg and is unfair for the students involved.

Rankings are worthless and as far as structure goes everything has to meet some sort of standard; ETSU instituting a first year clinical is not on par with the activities of other universities and is an additional obstacle that most would prefer to avoid.

6. Loc Finesse

2+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    Alaska, dude, really? Sucks to be you! I live in the Chicago area, I feel you pain (very little)....

I'm not saying you can't work and go to school. It's really tiring, you should know.. However, AuD programs are very rigid and like you to follow their curriculum (some classes are offered alternate years, etc.) There are some programs that offer rolling admissions (e.g. IL State) and I know they would be more than willing to accommodate your work schedule. In your case, schools cannot penalize you for your military obligations.

I follow school rankings to an extent...It's all relative to me on paper. Audiologist/SLPs are so high in demand, companies are content with fact that you graduated, nevermind your abilities (that's another issue). According to Princeton Review? or US News/World Report?, Vandy is ranked #1 in Audiology, don't ask me how! While a ton of other schools are tied with each other, what the heck does that mean about the curriculum?

I commend ETSU for instituting clinicals during the 1st year. Let me start early with hands-on learning. Now, the clinicals may be doing hearing screenings 2x a week for 3hrs (to the children, so, yes, learn the "clean up" song :laugh:!), or an eval once a week, how time consuming is that to your schedule?

A lot of doctoral programs have us pay for the 4th year externship, A LOT! Find me one that doesn't and they'll be added to my prospective apps list (location pending, of course ;))

7. teucer

2+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    Valid points. Nothing against ETSU, just a discussion. Anyway, they are really good at keeping in contact. Probably the best I've come across thus far. They establish a rapport with you as well as try to hook you up with a current student in order to get you squared away from the beginning...almost like many military units do. Clinical 0800-1500,, school 1700-2000 everyday. Very much military-like schedule.

8. elcobb

2+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    X

#8 elcobb, Feb 2, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  9. teucer

2+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    Elcobb: P.M.