Easy A's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jon Davis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically, the deal here is that my university makes science majors take a certain number of courses in different fields such as, social sciences, arts, ect. So, to get those university required classes out of the way I can take many courses that fall under those required categories to satisfy the number of credits needed to fulfill those requirements.

I was thinking about taking a class at the 1000 entry level versus a 2000 entry level course (ie. economics) basically just for the easy A and I wouldnt have to put much work into the class and can concentrate on other courses.
But, on the other hand, I could just take a higher course level available to fulfill that same requirement. So is it better to take the higher level courses just so that it looks like you can handle higher level classes or should i just go for the easy A?

Members don't see this ad.

easy A. Yep!

ALWYAS go for the easy A! This is NOT undergrad admissions you're dealing with here with easy to recognize AP classes (and AP scores!). Med schools really do care more about your GPA than your coursework. This is a very sad, but true fact. They just don't have the time to figure out the difficulty of every single class at every single institution.

Members don't see this ad :)
While it's true that taking the "easy A" classes can certainly boost your GPA, I've always preferred to take the upper level classes for non-science requirements. . . simply because I learn so much more! I know that numbers are extremely important. . . but personally, considering the amount of money that my family is paying for me to attend college each year, the knowledge and fulfillment that I take away from every class experience is even more important.

In addition, to tell you the truth my non-science classes have been great conversation starters during interviews. They often have unique titles and are a bit specialized, and nearly every one of my interviewers has inquired about at least one of them. I don't think they'd be as interested if I listed "English 101" instead of "Explorations of Black Literature, 1700 - 1895."

If you're genuinely more concerned about your GPA, then by all means give yourself a break and take the introductory classes. However, please do recognize that the upper level classes have special merit -- not only to a certain extent in the admissions process, but also simply as a rewarding and enriching experience as a whole.

I say take whatever interests you more. I took economics (micro) just because I'd never taken an econ class before, and wanted to see if I had a mind for business type things. Turns out I don't, and I hated the class. I got a B because I didn't study for it. Same thing with computer programming. I don't think I ever took a class just for an easy A, it matters more to me that I'm trying something new or am really interested in the subject. I guess that's why i'm a triple major in very diverse areas. It doesn't always work, but at least I attempted it. If you're interested in econ, go ahead and take it...although in my opinion, it's not all that easy (I guess it depends which course you take). I don't know what 2000 level class you're weighing it with, but the more specialized you get, the more interesting the course usually, albeit a little more work. Just motivates you to try harder, I suppose!

i have to agree that you should take what interests you more. but i guess what you opt to do depends on whether you see college only as this necessary stepping stone to med school, or whether you're actually interested in the education you get along the way. personally i think you're wasting 4 years and thousands of dollars if you're not taking advantage of college while you're there. yes, grades factor heavily into med school admissions, but they're not the be-all and end-all of life. besides, it's often way easier to ace courses that you find interesting and stimulating than those that are pure torture to study. but this is my own opinion.

easy A: med schools won't know the difference between individual courses, they only understand GPAs

remember all those easy classes will always be more helpful in ur confidence level than any hard classes

Hi basha,

May I please ask you. . . how would doing well in an easy class boost your confidence level? Does getting a high grade for which no work is required have that much meaning? Wouldn't it actually do the reverse, i.e., cast doubt on your abilities, because you've never tested yourself and may not feel comfortable with greater challenges?

Wouldn't taking a more difficult class in a subject that interests you and putting forth the greatest effort possible...THEN receiving a decent grade. . . offer you a more fulfilling and substantial reward?

Just curious...I'm not sure I understand your logic.