Easy college or Difficult?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NB-Sirius

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,folks.I'm going to be an international student.
And I'm slecting my best colleges now.(Undergraduate)

My dream is to be a doctor in the United States,and work there.
So I will take premed course ,and I'm planning to major psychology.
(I'm really interested in PsychoNeuroImmunology.)

Now,I'm so worring which sort of college I should choose to get in a great medical shool.
I mean that I should decide to go to easy college for fine grade,
or to go to highly competeve college.
If my college become more competeve ,it become more difficult to get hihger grade.

Anyway,I know that I have to study harder & harder.
And I'm sure that I should pick up small colleges.
Because I have a disadvantage in English & my back ground.

Please let me know your opinion if you like.
Thank you for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

Going to a small college is actually a great idea, especially if you have difficulty with the language (as you have mentioned). Most small liberal arts colleges have rigorous curriculums, and will provide the education and environment you need to be successful. These colleges range on the spectrum of difficulty, with schools like Swarthmore, Williams, Amherst on the upper end (there are many more there), and numerous regional schools that fit the bill. Some colleges that take a relatively large number of internationals that people often overlook are Bard, Carleton (known for their lack of grade inflation), Claremont-Mckenna, Middlebury, Haverford etc... If you are a woman I would look into Bryn Mawr, Smith, and Barnard - all of which have excellent environments (albeit different). If you have an accurate assessment of yourself as a student, and consider yourself on the brighter side - I would strongly suggest the more rigorous schools, many internationals go to them and perform very well. Don't assume that attending a 'less prestigous' college will automatically translate into higher grades either.

Hope the Helps.

P 'Don't want to be Type-Casted' ShankOut

I'm not sold on the top-tier colleges as a path to medical school. I suppose, if you'll settle for nothing less than a top-10 medical school, your best shot is to go to a top-tier college and do exceedingly well. If you're happy at any top 50 school and want the best environment to grow and mature, the smaller liberal arts colleges might be a great idea if you can afford it.

My little sister is premed at an Ivy League school and miserable. I think she'd be doing better in her courses with less stress at a smaller school, and have just as good a chance at the medical schools she'd like to attend.

Members don't see this ad :)
easy schools with grade inflation is the best school for premed. no one seems to care as long as you can do well on the mcat.

Thank you for you helps all.
I'll do my best for my dream!

I regret being the one to drop some rain on your parade, but as an international student you will not be eligible for most of the loans of money you will need for all your expenses. If you are still an international student when you apply, know that only a small number of non-US citizen/non-permanent residents actually are able to go to US medical schools, and they will almost always be in the expensive private medical schools.

The 2003-2004 edition of Medical School Admission Requirements says that "the 2001 entering class at US medical schools included 181 students who were not US citizens or who were not permitted to reside permanently by the US Immigration and Naturalization Service." (There are some 8,000 --give or take--students in US medical schools). 181/8000=?

Reasons:

Many public medical schools limit enrollment to state residents.

Many private medical schools require international applicants to document their ability to independently finance a medical education.

Many countries impose severe limitations on exportation of currencies.

Federal financial aid sources generally require either US citizenship or permanent residency.

Many medical schools require completion of premedical coursework at a US college or university.

Medical schools require documentation of English language proficiency, either from an American undergraduate college or the official agency in the applicant's home country. Information about the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) can be found at www.toefl.org.

Four year tuitions (and expenses) in private medical schools NOW run about $40,000 +. Add that to the cost of your undergraduate education. Add in housing, transportation, food, books, etc.

Comment: getting competitive high scores on the MCAT is quite difficult; science is not the only quality being tested.

And if the college you attend is irrelevant, why do so many premedical students try to get into the most prestigious colleges and universities? Why kill to get into the Ivies, Berkley, etc. Why not go to the easiest, non-competitive colleges instead? Medical school faculty are not stupid: of course they evaluate the difficulty of competition at the colleges/universities applicants
attend.

Enough already!

Originally posted by NB-Sirius
Thank you for you helps all.
I'll do my best for my dream!

First of all,I wated to say 'Thank you for YOUR help.'

hello,gower.
I know that I can't get in any public med schools.
And it costs so much to be a doctor here in Japan,too.
In Japan,it takes 4 years to graduate from medical school.
But In the United States,it takes 8 years at very least,you know.
So biggest problem is $$$.

Probably,it's the best way for me to be a doctor in Japan,and
go to the United States as a resident.
I can be a doctor in 4 years or so,and I can keep studing English
here in Japan.
And I know there are many Japaneses who can speak English fruently without studing abroard.

But I want to brush up myself in a diferrent country.
And USA is the best for me,I think.
So I won't regret my dicision if I can't get in any med school.

Anyway,thanks a lot,gower.
2%? I don't care!I'm a DREAMER! :)
Thank you for your kind advice,again.

Getting into med school in the US is nearly impossible for international students. Which is very, very different from 'impossible'.
I'm speaking from personal experience, believe me.

All that was said is generally true, but there are always exceptions. Few things are true, however....

If you want to go to medschool in the US, you should really do your undergrad here, too.
It doesn't have to be Ivy league, but definitely a good college.
You'll have to pay for it, but there are some int'l loans.
Contrary to the popular belief, you can actually go to a public school.
Having said all this, you will have to be a stellar applicant to even stand a chance.

But hey, if you are willing to do whatever it takes, don't let anybody tell you any different.

Good luck,

Serge

Last edited: