"easy" medical schools to get into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shehak20000

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some medical schools that are known to be "less competitive?" I know that all medical schools are competitive but like....what's the opposite of the top 25?

Members don't see this ad.

MSR medical school stats under the Medicine tab at the top of the page.

No US allopathic school is going to be "easy" to get into. Even the lowest ranked schools still have decent MCAT and GPA averages.

Go look at the MSAR and find the schools with the lowest averages. Those schools will be the easiest to get into statistically, although these schools often have the most applicants...

No such thing as an easy US school. Caribbean schools will take almost anyone on the other hand...

Members don't see this ad :)
What are some medical schools that are known to be "less competitive?" I know that all medical schools are competitive but like....what's the opposite of the top 25?

None.

I've noticed more and more people applying to schools like NYMC/Albany/GW/etc because people believed they could get in there with average/low scores, thus causing the reverse to happen: making them harder to get into since they now have so many applicants to choose from.

I'm not applying right now but it HAS to be annoying when you're placed on hold nigh-indefinitely at a place like Albany because they're waiting to hear on a 3.9/37 who is applying there with no intention to matriculate.

The easiest school to get into, generally, is the one within your state of residence. If you don't have one, apply to the one(s) next door.

Reactions: 1 user
Fatima, Ross, University of the Caribbean. Oh you meant actual American schools? Sorry, buddy. They're all hard to get into.

There are no easy schools to get into. It depends on your stats and background.

I hear Drexel

Our averages this last year were 3.5 and 31.

10,000+ applicants, ~1000 interviews, ~500-600 total offers (factoring in declines), 225 class size. Still pretty damn competitive.

All other posters in this thread are correct - there is no "easy" school in the US. They are all ridiculously hard to get into.

10,000+ applicants is crazy. i don't have MSAR with me right now but i remember even the Cali schools has 8000+ tops. i only remember GWU having 10,000+ applicants. georgetown had 8000+. i guess DC is a big draw.

oh god....

Usually it's your state school if you're a resident, unless you live in California.

Members don't see this ad :)
if the OP changed the title of the thread to replace the words "medical schools" to "pre-med students" and this turned into a pic thread, this thread would be sooo much better

Ohio and Texas, and probably New York are by far the best states to live in if you are applying as an in-stater.

I hear Strayer has a pretty decent program.

The Board scores coming out of Univ. of Phoenix Med are also pretty phenomenal, rivalling those of ITT Tech School of Health Sciences.

Ohio and Texas, and probably New York are by far the best states to live in if you are applying as an in-stater.

I wouldn't say by far. Illinois has 6 schools and even the private ones give at least some preference to IL residents.

Mississippi is the best state, without question, end of story. 200 applicants, 100 matriculants. All instate. :)

I wouldn't say by far. Illinois has 6 schools and even the private ones give at least some preference to IL residents.

Florida 2008 for the win. We'll have 6 allopathic schools and I believe 3 osteopathic medical schools by then.

My whole life I wanted to get out of this dump of a state, but now my career can't afford anywhere else.

Mississippi is the best state, without question, end of story. 200 applicants, 100 matriculants. All instate. :)

That is correct, I think this past year was our biggest applicant pool in years, and it was still under 300 applicants, but they only take MS residents.

Texas is also cool because it is dirt cheap, and I've been told that some of them give non-residents in-state tuition anyway (that is, if you can get accepted as a non-resident).

There are two schools in Nebraska which has seemingly few residents to support two schools. Arizona probably has five times as many people and only one school (that only takes AZ residents). Missouri has two DO schools.

rosalind franklin
creighton
SLU
Medical College of Wisconsin
New York Medical College

all easy if you're smart

Texas is also cool because it is dirt cheap, and I've been told that some of them give non-residents in-state tuition anyway (that is, if you can get accepted as a non-resident).

There are two schools in Nebraska which has seemingly few residents to support two schools. Arizona probably has five times as many people and only one school (that only takes AZ residents). Missouri has two DO schools.

How does one get state tuition in Texas as an out of stater? Which schools specifically?

It's all really a crapshoot... i got in to a top 30 and waitlisted by much, much lower ranked schools. Everyone is looking for something different on any given day... that's why your best bet is to apply to a wide range of schools!

...and thomas jefferson is the 'in state' school for delaware. however that works. lol.

Tulane, Temple, Albany, and Wake Forest ... Those are REALLLY easy - their avgs are only 3.5 and 29-30 MCAT!

Ya, schools like UNC chapel hill. Avg GPA of 3.65 and avg MCAT of about 31. Really easy, right? :thumbdown:

I think the school you'll have the best chances at are schools you really like, that aren't super stats ******.

If you know a lot about Wake and really like their curriculum, and the like. You can probably write a great secondary for them. If you're genuinely impressed and excited about a particular school it will come throug during your interviews.

So adding a bunch of schools with 3.5 gpa and 30 mcats, may not be the best strategy. If all they are is a back up to you, they'll realize it and weed you out.

Isn't there one in Hollywood that's really easy to get into? :thumbup:

And don't let Princeton's ivy reputation deter you from applying to their med school, either....

And don't let Princeton's ivy reputation deter you from applying to their med school, either....

Or Notre Dame Med -- even if male med students can't work on female cadavers after curfew.

Tulane, Temple, Albany, and Wake Forest ... Those are REALLLY easy - their avgs are only 3.5 and 29-30 MCAT!

don't necessarily go by averages and numbers. I had a SIGNIFICANTLY higher MCAT and much higher GPA and was auto-rejected by WF, and they totally didn't tell me why. albany and temple, sure... tulane takes a certain type of person (i.e. specifically non-gunner, some connections with louisiana)... i'm thinking drexel and RFU can also go on your list. however, despite interviewing at top 5 schools, the WF auto reject still bugs me today.

Don't be so sure about Albany, either. As some earlier posters have said, # of applicants has gone so high, they actually only interview a tiny fraction there as everywhere else, no matter what your #'s...and they have a particular type of candidate in mind that they are looking for, with a set of clinical experiences that fits their model. They are less rigid about GPA/MCAT sometimes, which may show up in the averages, but don't let that mislead you. Much better place than SDN peeps might have you believe, by the way.

I have a question. I've never had an interview, yet, but it might be soon. I want to find out howmuch I have chance to get into a MedSchool.

Here's my pros:

*I have a BA degree out of the US.

*I completed Biology at a community college as a transfer student to Biology or Natural Sciences with a GPA of 3.8.

*I got started in Biology in BS as junior last year. My GPA is 3.8 in this university, too.

*Recently I had MCAT, and my score was 42.

Here's my cons:

*My age is 38, and I came in the US 8 years ago. My native language is not English. I speak English with an accent.

So, this may be negative for me at the interview?

What do you recommened or what can your comments be in the manner?

Havnt applied yet.. but by lurking on the site for a bit I have come to a very simple conclusion...

The equation for getting into medschool is..

Medshool Acceptance = 2(entropy)

:D

Here's my cons:

*My age is 38, and I came in the US 8 years ago. My native language is not English. I speak English with an accent.

So, this may be negative for me at the interview?

What do you recommened or what can your comments be in the manner?
Some doctors speak with accents.
If you speak clearly during interviews, you'll be fine.

Ross, Saba, AUC, SGU

GET an MSAR

GOOGLE "Med school rankings" then cross off all the schools that are ranked. Then look at the ones that are not ranked and find out which ones have low stats and few applicants.

This is NOT ROCKET SCIENCE

Edit: why was my font so big :eek:
Double Edit: if you are looking for easy medical schools to go to try DO schools they are pretty easy to get into

EDIT: fixed the font for you... Next time, skip using [font tags] if you don't want big font.

Last edited by a moderator: