easy one, big help for me.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tlsdbwls

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know this is really a no big deal question
but i really dont know..
help me...

im studying in the philippines now. (dentistry)
but i can't take my licensure exam here
coz i am not a filipino citizen..im a korean citizen
so i have no choice but to take in US or any other countries that accepts
foreigners to take licensure exam. (i prefer US)
but im planning to finish my 6-year course (dentistry) here...
im just going to US for the licensure exam. :) and probably work there..

What steps / What do i need to do to become a dentist in US? (proper order)
exactly,, how do i get a licensure exam?
like.. what is RT exam? or the DAT? do foreigner like me have to take the national board exam in states?(part 1 and 2)?
i know this sounds really stupid.. but please help me.. pretty please?

what do i need to do?

you can email me.. or just post a reply here...
[email protected] :)

Members don't see this ad.

hi,
after qualifying and completely finishing from your country, you may continue to study there/at your home for the national board exams. that is mandatory for all foreign qulaified dentists. you have to purchase the dental decks and any other material you feel is necessary for reviewing (kaplan notes, text books, past exams released from the americal dental association etc). then, wen you are ready, you should send a completed form to the ADA (www.ada.org) that you want to attept part 1. you will get a conformation from them. enrol at a prometric centre and do the one day (8.5 hours) exam here in the USA. while you are doing all this, you may also take the TOEFL examination in your home country. it does not matter what your first language/countryof residence is... everyone had to take the TOEFL exam - it is a prerequisite.
after getting your results, send them with all the required documentation to the schools you want to apply to. you have to re-enrol in a 2-year program here in the USA for foreign trained dentists.
go to www.ada.org and you will find a lot of information there that may clarify what i have stated above.

hoep this helps.
regards...:)

i know this is really a no big deal question
but i really dont know..
help me...

im studying in the philippines now. (dentistry)
but i can't take my licensure exam here
coz i am not a filipino citizen..im a korean citizen
so i have no choice but to take in US or any other countries that accepts
foreigners to take licensure exam. (i prefer US)
but im planning to finish my 6-year course (dentistry) here...
im just going to US for the licensure exam. :) and probably work there..

What steps / What do i need to do to become a dentist in US? (proper order)
exactly,, how do i get a licensure exam?
like.. what is RT exam? or the DAT? do foreigner like me have to take the national board exam in states?(part 1 and 2)?
i know this sounds really stupid.. but please help me.. pretty please?

what do i need to do?

you can email me.. or just post a reply here...
[email protected] :)

hi,
if u wanna work as a dentist here in US,then u might wanna do a 2-3 years advanced standing in DDS n then get a license in any state.
or you might wanna go for MS in some subject or do some kind of residency as some states give you the license to work with it, and u dunt hav to do the DDS which is much more expensive
some states might let u work as a faculty or research position after you do MS
I would suggest that since u r already in school there you could try to transfer in some school here to save you time, very few schools wud permit that , and i do not know more abt it,you might wanna go to individual school's website, all school websites and contact infos are available on the ada website, link international dentist.you might wanna check out with individual schools to find out abt it.
so you get to make the choice now. but u wud need to take definitely the part 1 for most DDS and residency programs, some require part 1 and 2.DAT is required if you wanna do 4 yrs of dental school form start.