Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Easy Pharmacy Schools to get into in the Southeast and Midwest?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by mercerpharmacist, Oct 26, 2016.

1. mercerpharmacist

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hello All,

So I am a Pre-Pharmacy student, and I understand and acknowledge all the talk about the oversaturated job market. I don't want to talk about that though - Pharmacy is what I want to do and I am going to give it my all (I always put this disclaimer in some way since there are various individuals on the forum that will go on a tangent on every post of this nature - I don't doubt and rather appreciate their good intentions nontheless).

I have struggled a lot in the Intro Science Pre-Med courses for a variety of reasons. These include a long commute to school, large class sizes at my institution, as well as a weed-out culture at my school. I know these are facts of life, but they may result in a rather low GPA by the time I apply.

I'm considering schools mostly in the Southeast and Midwest, since I live in the Southeast and I feel like the Midwest seems to have cheaper tuition (as well as a quite, calm atmosphere in most cases). I'd like to avoid the Northeast and California in particular for a variety of financial and personal reasons. I feel knowing myself, it would be really hard to adapt to one of those states.

So assuming my Science Pre-Req courses are in the C average range, and my GPA is like a 2.7 - 3.0 with Pharmacy shadowing experience, and a decent PCAT, what schools could I look at that would at least give me an interview? (I am amazing at interviews so that's really all I need)

Any input would really be helpful. I'm a really hard-working student, but there is so much going on that I feel like I'll be able to manage better in grad school (since I have been doing much pre-planning for it). My goal is to get into a good Pharmacy school, so any ideas would be awesome.

Thanks everyone!

#1 mercerpharmacist, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mercerpharmacist

Pre-Pharmacy
    Anyone? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

4. mercerpharmacist

Pre-Pharmacy
    Anyone? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

5. Lamin28

Highpoint University in North Carolina is in pre-candidate status, so their selectivity is a bit lower than most schools in this state.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

6. mercerpharmacist

Pre-Pharmacy
    I appreciate it mate. I really like High Point and it's definitely in my top 7 choices. However, I hope that I'm competitive enough for it! Thank you for your input!

7. stoichiometrist

Most pharmacy schools are pretty easy to get into, as they care more about your tuition money than your credentials. The real challenge is finding a job in the saturated job market when you graduate with $200k+ in loans.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

Hohohee1 likes this.
  8. mercerpharmacist

Pre-Pharmacy
    How easy to get into though? What's a common accepted GPA that could get an interview?

9. mercerpharmacist

Pre-Pharmacy
    By the way are you still in Pharmacy school? What's your plan thereafter?

10. mijz

Pre-Pharmacy
    Did you get into highpoint?

11. NewPharmOldPharm

Pre-Pharmacy
    The University of Toledo is pretty easy. 86% acceptance rate because only 129 people applied last year. This is the first year they are taking people outside of their school.

12. BC_89

Your Statements seems redundant on two counts (perhaps I'm misreading and/or misunderstanding):

1) you want info to get into "easy" pharmacy schools in southeast/Midwest region due to what you feel to be less than stellar grades. Yet, you go on to state you want to attend a "good" school...I'm not sure if your definition of a good school is a top school, cheap school, or simply accredited...

2) "what schools could I look at that would at least give me an interview?" A simple google search on 'pharmacy school locator' would not only pinpoint schools in the Midwest and southeast, but actually provide statistics on what GPA / PCAT scores were admitted and what the number of applicants were from the previous academic year vs what quantity from the applicant pool got accepted.

A GPA of 2.7 and a GPA of a 3.0 of pre-reqs is a huge difference. What is it? Also, define decent PCAT. What is it? Of the score, what did you rank in the math / Chem / Bio section? You plan on getting a bachelors? Exactly how many hours of shadowing do you have? Ever actually worked retail and if not why? You claimed weed-out culture and commute and big classes as a stance for a lower GPA...is that really the reasons (there's a REASON why I'm asking)?

Not trying to de-bunk you, but a simple google search on pharmacy locator will show facts...facts of what average GPA got in, how many applied, and how many got interviews...based on the GPA / PCAT put out by these schools against the number of applicants that got in, isn't that the very thing your wanting? Facts from a simple google search?

To press it further, some of these schools will even keep a record of highest and lowest gpa's and PCATs that got accepted and all you gotta do is call....am I missing something?

BRIGGSQUAD likes this.