SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Easy Speicalty

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by daysinnnc, May 6, 2007.

1. daysinnnc

daysinnnc 7+ Year Member

Feb 22, 2007
    What are the easy or more common specialties in Medicine?
    My uncle is a family practitioner and makes about $11000.00, that is not good comared to the work he does..
    I need ppls feedback

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Bertelman

Bertelman Maverick! 7+ Year Member

Feb 11, 2006
    Had a Cooch
    First of all, 11,000 is a pittance. He needs to renegotiate with insurers/his group.

In all sincerity, there is no single answer to this question. Each of us have our own strengths & weaknesses, our own ambitions and expectations. What I may think is extremely difficult may be cake to someone else. Most importantly, difficulty of the practice rarely correlates with compensation. What some may consider a less complex education (IM, FP), often is associated with a much more complex business model.

4. Toohotinvegas33

Toohotinvegas33 Currently Glasgow 3 7+ Year Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Penal Colony
    you must have meant 110,000.00 or 110k.

5. cardsurgguy

cardsurgguy Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jan 20, 2004
    I'm taking a wild guess you meant $110,000.

Anyways, like the previous poster, said there's no objective answer here. Technically, in terms of the best combo of hours and salary there are the ROAD specialties of Radiology Opthomology Anesthesiology and Dermatology (ROAD for road to happiness, ie best combo of lifestyle and money).

Having said that, what good is being a dermatologist working 40-50 hours per week, no call, and making $250,000 per year if you're absolutely miserable??

Personally, I'd rather be an FP making $150,000 per year working 50-60 hours per week, with call on top of that if that's what I really want to do and it's what would make me happy (personally not my case, but you get the point).

Also, "easy" is a relative term. For some people, it's "easier" to make less money working as a primary care doc with much less liability than making a bunch more money working as an OB with the high liability that comes with it.

6. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Dec 20, 2004
    Nah, if he meant 110k he wouldn't have put in the decimal point. At 11k every penny counts.:laugh:

OP - as the prior poster indicated, find a job you enjoy, don't focus so much on each dollar. Money should be your nice perq, not your driving motivation, because the hours you will be working as a practitioner don't even factor in the time you are going to spend getting to that point. In general, in most of medicine you will be working relatively long hours -- if you hate it, there won't be a salary that makes it worth it, and if you enjoy it, it won't seem nearly as bad.

7. dutchman

dutchman 7+ Year Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Good point, but having said that, I don't know of any human being that actually hates dermatology.

8. The Buff

The Buff The Big Cat 7+ Year Member

Oct 14, 2006
    Right behind you...
    I don't know, I am pretty close....

9. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Dec 20, 2004
    I don't know -- I get itchy just looking at pictures of rashes.

10. WhoisJohnGalt

WhoisJohnGalt NYC Psychiatrist Physician 7+ Year Member

May 27, 2005
    I truly hate it. It's icky. Dermatophytoses, psoriasis, ulcers, it's all just nasty. Not to mention boring. :sleep:

11. Critical Mass

Critical Mass Guest

Feb 23, 2007
    Just look for the specialties that are uber-competative because everyone wants to do them.

12. humuhumu

humuhumu nukunuku apua'a 7+ Year Member

Jan 28, 2005
    Physical medicine and rehabilitation? (Ask Panda Bear, MD about that field...) ;)

13. naegleria brain

naegleria brain 2+ Year Member

Dec 24, 2006
    certain fields allow you to control your work hours whereas others don't. certain fields pay better hourly wages whereas others don't.
    ophtho, derm tend to have great hours and pay.
    ortho and nsg has bad hours but good pay.
    fp, IM, peds have controllable hours, but lower pay.

thus, the orthos, nsg's, CT's make the most, work like hell, ophtho and derm work the least, but make a lot, and peds/fp can make money if they work a lot, but can chill out and make less, but still probably above six figures

take your pick