Easy to shift between IM - - IM/Peds - - Peds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amdap

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity for anyone doing IM or peds . . . do you know what would be involved if you completed an intern year in either and then decided you wanted to do a combination IM/Peds? Would it still be a 4-year deal?

For anyone who has done this . . . how did your schedule get restructured?

Do programs view this favorably/unfavorably?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you do a year of IM then want to transfer to IM/Peds you may end up doing the full four extra years, or they may give you six months credit towards the 4 yr IM/Peds. You almost certainly wouldn't get credit for the entire year.

Listen, if you think you're going to want to do IM/Peds, just do it. It's probably easier to switch from IM/Peds to IM or Peds than it is the the way around. (IM and Peds are less competative then the combined programs)

Programs generally frown on switching. Most PDs prefer if you start in a residency that you finish it. Changing makes problems for them. And there is no guarantee that you'll be able to switch (another reason to start IM/Peds if you're considering both).

There was one resident at my school who ended up switching out of IM/Peds into straight IM, and she just had to work for a few months after third year in order to make up a few extra IM months. I think that switching from IM to IM/Peds is possible depending on your program, however, you will have to do some of the peds internship rotations in whatever year you currently are in, and it may take you a little bit longer then 4 years depending on how many IM rotations you have done too. I think that you should speak with your IM PD and IM/Peds PD to see if there are any spots available at your school and whether or not they would let you transfer into a spot before worrying about the logistics of it.