Easy way to fulfill orgo requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuroscientist

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At my school, there is a professor notorious for handing out A's like a grandma handing out home-made cookies. He has a 4.9 on ratemyprofessor.com and I haven't talked to anyone who hasn't gotten an A- or better in the class. Better yet, he teaches orgo I & II as well as the lab. So, I am thinking to myself... Take the incredibly easy A and learn squat (he also is notorious for napping during class and just letting the students do whatever) or go with the other professors who are actually very, very difficult. I would be worried about the MCAT, but I don't know how deep into orgo it actually goes. Anyway, what would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

From a purely "do well" standpoint, I'd take the easy class. You can study what you need for the MCAT later. Studying after the fact won't get you an A in the course...

He must have some crazy Tenure if everyone makes an A- or higher and he still has a job.

Orgo isnt as high yield as it once was and you can probably learn it by yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take the easy professor, you can teach yourself if you want/need to

This may just be crazy talking, but why don't you take the easy class, but study like it was a hard class? Then you learn the material and get an A!

This may just be crazy talking, but why don't you take the easy class, but study like it was a hard class? Then you learn the material and get an A!

:thumbup:

just make sure you don't slack.. you're gonna need it later

take the easy professor and study hard. it'll boost your self-esteem like crzy

as a side note, it's always a good idea to take the same professor for more than one course if possible. more likely to get a good lor out of it.

probably not this professor though.

Like everyone says, go for the good grade.

Also, the MCAT is at least a year away and you usually forget a lot of things and you end up re-learning everything anyhow.

Of course take the easy course! Who would be crazy enough to give up an easy A!? The Ochem on the MCAT is really straightforward. Don't worry about that!

Take the Class! And study more on your own. :laugh: where are the ones like that at my school.

BTW, how do HE sleep in class?:confused: Does he just give you busy work then recline the chair back? I had a narcoleptic teacher in high school, it was funny as hell to watch her swirl her chair around and be out like a light and come back like 3 minutes later:laugh:

OP: Take the easy class. O chem A's don't come easy; you'd probably regret it later.

You can always try to actually LEARN the material even though the class is easy. A couple of A+'s on your transcript wouldn't look too bad, either.

Finally, Ochem is a pretty small part of the MCAT. I wouldn't sweat it.

*waiting for the eager-beaver premed who will suggest taking the harder class because it will be more rewarding*

:corny:

This is a crazy question. Take the easy class and study while getting your A. :)

And people debate about whether GPA or the MCAT is more important....

:rolleyes:

And people debate about whether GPA or the MCAT is more important....

:rolleyes:

This situation is more about taking advantage of what is presented, as opposed to GPA vs. MCAT. Like I said earlier, many people won't remember much from their pre-req classes and have to study and learn the material all over again. If this is the case, why bother taking a harder class?

*waiting for the eager-beaver premed who will suggest taking the harder class because it will be more rewarding*

:corny:

I think you should take the harder......

;)lol I couldnt get though it

take the easy class you can always study for the ochem on mcat there are so many books out there to help you with that

While suffering through a ridiculously hard organic chemistry class at a large midwestern university, i comforted myself with the knowledge that at least the organic chemistry portion of the MCAT would be a piece of cake in comparison.

The professor, who maintained that he was asked to submit o-chem questions for the MCAT but no longer did so bc his were usually rejected for being too difficult, also reassured us that his students (those that made it through) did very well on the organic chemistry portion of the exam.

Of course, the minute you sit down in your Kaplan or PR class, you learn that the organic chemistry portion is only 25% of the biology section (75% biology) and that lab questions usually account for about 25% of the 25%. Therefore, approximately 18.25% of your MCAT is organic chemistry lecture material.

I don't know how you had the good fortune to avoid the 99.5% of organic chemistry professors who are miserable because they almost invented Teflon or some other such product that would have allowed them to spend their remaining days on a beach somewhere, but by all means, take advantage of this wonderful stroke of luck, study so you learn the material (it's actually a fun, interesting subject when it's not being used as a device to discourage future doctors :)) and don't look back!! Good luck :luck: