Eat this Dress codes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

H0mersimps0n

HMO CRUSHER
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
We should present this to the administration at LECOM. I bet a few other schools with dress codes find this interesting as well... I know we're far from bacteria in the class room but we should prepare for future acceptable clothing health fashions for our futures right ;) lol, hey I know it's a stretch

I think we can look just as professional in a nice pair of scrubs ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3745235.stm

Doctors' ties may store bacteria
Ties may harbour potential disease-causing bacteria
Doctors may be unwittingly spreading infections through their ties, warn US researchers.

The New York Hospital Queens team found nearly half of the ties worn by medical workers harboured disease-causing bacteria.

The potential for ties to transmit the bacteria to patients must be considered, say the researchers.

Dr Steven Nurkin reported his findings at the a meeting of the American Society for Microbiology.

The researchers analysed ties worn by physicians, their assistants, medical students and security staff working at their hospital.

Bacteria

Almost half (47.6%) of the ties worn by clinicians were found to harbour bacteria that can cause disease.

This was eight times the odds of ties worn by security staff from the same hospital being infected.

Doctors should not have to wear [ties] when seeing patients
British Medical Association spokesman
Dr Nurkin said the findings called into question whether wearing a necktie is in the best interest of patients.

He said: "Studies such as this remind us about what we may bring to our patients' bedside.

"Being well dressed adds an aura of professionalism and has been correlated with higher patient confidence.

"Senior physicians and hospital administrators often encourage staff to wear neckties in order to help promote this valuable relationship, but in so doing, they may also be facilitating the spread of infectious organisms."

A spokesman from the British Medical Association said: "Ties are frequently handled but infrequently washed which means they can spread infection.

"Doctors should not have to wear them when seeing patients."

Other clothing

Dr Chris Kibbler, consultant microbiologist at University College London, thought hand hygiene was more important than worrying about clothing.

"There are other items of clothing which are likely to be relevant as well - sleeves for example. So it's difficult to know that your tie itself is more of a problem than your shirt sleeve or your trouser.

"Bearing in mind that we believe hand transmission is the most important and that we can decontaminate our hands between patients, I would rather people concentrated on that far more than worry about their tie - providing they are not daubing it in a wound," he said.

Members don't see this ad.

H0mersimps0n said:
We should present this to the administration at LECOM. I bet a few other schools with dress codes find this interesting as well... I know we're far from bacteria in the class room but we should prepare for future acceptable clothing health fashions for our futures right ;) lol, hey I know it's a stretch

I think we can look just as professional in a nice pair of scrubs ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3745235.stm

so you are not allowed to wear scrubs?? at uhs either we dress formally or wear scrubs.. were you trying for scrubs or casual clothing????

not only are we NOT able to wear scrubs during "business hours" I've been told we are not allowed, as medical "students", to wear scrubs at any time including during anatomy prosections/disections or after hours. Rarely people do... Scrubs are for physicians.

:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
you know, as a soon to be LECOM'er here, i have no real problem with wearing a tie and dress clothes every day, i usually dress up for no reason. actually my friends have this running joke with me that i mow my lawn with khakis and oxfords on... (i dont really), but i will say this. i don't like the idea of being "told" i have to dress up. i like the way my life is now, i dress up for no reason without being told to do it! so i suppose i will either be someone who pushes the limits on the dress code, or someone who overdresses every single day...

I was told at the LECOM interview that scrubs or tee shirts and shorts etc could be worn in anatomy lab and OMM.

Yeah, after two semesters of dealing with the dress code it's really not THAT bad. The only thing that really bothers me is the whole "scrub taboo" thing that exists...

and I don't know who told you scrubs in the anatomy lab but you can forget about that, we tried to do t-shirts and jeans in anatomy lab last fall and the dean came in and told us to all get into polo shirts and more decient clothes because we prosect and not dissect and don't need to have bad clothes.

What is the rationale behind such a dress code? Whatever it is, they must certainly believe in it because it has been my experience that enforcing any kind of strict dress code inherently produces conflict.

The rationale is dressing like professionals as professionals in training.

(nicedream) said:

Ya ya I get it, I just liked the article because it states that the standard for professional dress is changing and I'm hoping we can "stay with the times"

:oops:

Quite honestly, I think that former LECOM students designed the study. That would be our form of rebellion. Five bucks says that the powers that be at LECOM completely ignore the study. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
(nicedream) said:

ummmmmmmmm. I could have swore that surgeons dress in scrubbs as a professional....

but this has been brought up before.

I wonder if they would freak out if every day or so I would wring out my tie....when they ask I tell them I am squeezing out the bacteria so i can wear it again tomorrow!

:laugh:

Dress codes are the dumbest thing ever. Do you think that LECOM students behave more professionally because they are in church clothes during lecture? I mean, who sees you guys? Are you in the middle of an urban area with lots of contact with the community on a daily basis, or are you just getting dolled up for each other?

Sounds like somebody high up is ticked off that he has to wear a tie every day so he's making EVERYBODY do it.

We have a lecturer here (histology) who has the most amazing resume--the dude has done work with some really impressive people--and he wears a TCOM sweatshirt and jeans pretty much every day.

wearing jeans, and t-shirts to school is awesome.. scrubs are for first years.. oh yeah shorts are excellent too

Should have come here... NYCOM!!!!!!!!!!

Of course we don't BEHAVE more professionally. However, people perceive us as being more professional, and darling, image is everything! ;)

Seriously LECOM just makes its students dress up cuz it doesnt think they are professional and mature enough and it has to beat it into them. But, unlike LECOM, i dont believe lower stats mean anything about what kind of person you are. I dont like ties in general, specially on doctors. Doctors need to be more inviting and a tie just intimidates the patient. What is the reason for a tie anyway, have you ever thought about it, i mean what is a tie, a piece of cloth around your neck similar to a leash on a dog. I think we should look professional without a tie. I think the tie originated cuz of unprofessional looking people trying to look professional... for example a really fat person with his hair all over the place and hasnt shaven....and all he does is put a tie on and come to the office and booom, you got urself a professional. So, in conclusion i think the tie sucks and should be replaced with better and more professional people (who dont need a tie).

if you don't like to wear a tie, fine and dandy, don't wear one... but really, chill out over the whole thing.

oh, good luck convincing the world that a NASCAR t shirt and jeans (or something less dramatic but just as casual) is the "newly accepted professional attire of a physician", you do that and i'll buy you a cup of coffee. in the meantime i'll wear my jacket and tie and you can wear whatever floats your boat!

you telling people to chill, you chill, no one said anything about going out in the world and being a physician like that. I didn't know I was being physician while I am sitting in some lecture on biochem, anatomy, or the like.... Its just pre-clinical.. the only patient you see is a book or a notebook. No one shows up for rotations like that... also.. u like ties.. please please please wear one to your psychiatry rotation and see how fast you get kicked out..... those crazys will choke you to death if the doctors dont kick you out anyway...