sotired

sotired
10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
yesterday before taking the bio section of one of the aamc exams i drank a little of a milkshake and noticed how much more energy i had, and how much quicker i finished the section - without compromising accuracy. i normally don't eat like many sugary things, but i'm wondering if eating candy before some of the sections (esp bio, because its at the tail end, and i'm the most exhausted at this point) will help keep you focused.

any thoughts, or experiences with this?

TMP-SMX

Moderator Emeritus
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
sotired said:
yesterday before taking the bio section of one of the aamc exams i drank a little of a milkshake and noticed how much more energy i had, and how much quicker i finished the section - without compromising accuracy. i normally don't eat like many sugary things, but i'm wondering if eating candy before some of the sections (esp bio, because its at the tail end, and i'm the most exhausted at this point) will help keep you focused.

Before Bio is the only time I would recommend something that will give you a sugar high.

optimus3337

Optimus
10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
i might try that, i'm taking a practice saturday...but do they allow you to eat food betweeen sections?

About the Ads

Kikaku21

10+ Year Member
May 10, 2006
Status
Medical Student
gapotts2003 said:
Before Bio is the only time I would recommend something that will give you a sugar high.
Agreed. Remember sugar highs are often followed by sugar crashes. Don't want to have one of those!!!

DrBowtie

Final Countdown
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Classyville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Kikaku21 said:
Agreed. Remember sugar highs are often followed by sugar crashes. Don't want to have one of those!!!
Not unless you continue to feed your face with sugar!

I'm going for Skittles in the pocket :smuggrin:

TMP-SMX

Moderator Emeritus
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Kikaku21 said:
I was thinking that it would be best to experience first hand the effects of Diabetes Mellitus in the middle of Bio so you could better understand the role of insulin and glucagon on glucose levels... :)

Jacks Mannequin

if you're into it
10+ Year Member
May 9, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Dude, screw candy. Go all the way.

I'm having three of these in the morning and another during lunch. :D

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
sotired said:
but i'm wondering if eating candy before some of the sections (esp bio, because its at the tail end, and i'm the most exhausted at this point) will help keep you focused.

If Candy doesn't mind, go for it. Just be sure to find a private place.

Actually, sugar is a pretty short term high. It would be smarter to eat a granolla bar or something with complex carbs, nuts etc besides just sugar.

geno2568

10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Status
Pre-Medical
powerbars worked well for me

Summer Sweet

Le chéri, c'est la vie
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I fall asleep when I eat. I had a mildly starchy carbohydrate rich breakfast before a diagnostic, and I was drowsy/dozy in Physical Sciences, actually dozed off for a few minutes in Verbal, and was kind of heavy-eyed in Biological Sciences. Bio wasn't that bad though, because I'm usually somewhat more attentive after writing (how can you fall asleep when you're writing?)

mac_kin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2006
Status
Post Doc
I did this last year and it seemed to keep me going.

You have a 15 minute break after Physics and the Essay. And an hour lunch break in between.

I was actually pretty glad that I had gotten that snack during the first break. I had breakfast at around 7:00, with registration starting at 8:00 and being painfully slow we didn't really start writing until 9:15 am. I don't think I could have survived until the lunch break without some sugar.

I'm one of those people who work pretty well if they feel full.
Remember that eating habits during the school year and during the summer holidays are a bit different so try not to make drastic changes during the MCAT.

About the Ads