Eating Disorder?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustSomePreMed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, this is my first post after reading this forum for a while.

One of my good friends who's a year older than me and in the middle of applying to med school too was discussing one of her essays with me. Specifically, Virginia Commonwealth's essay about something that gives insight into the applicant as a person, but may be on any topic at all. A few years ago she was struggling with an eating disorder while involved in a sport (this was before she and I really became friends) and has since overcome it extremely well it seems and now leads a very balanced life. But apparently it was a very significant battle/challenge in her life. She's planning on using this experience for the essay mentioned above, but I told her it might seem like a liability to med schools to accept her, knowing she has this skeleton in her closet. She seems to think that the overcoming adversity thing supersedes that and believes she should keep the essay she wrote about her troubles with food/sport.

What do you guys think? Am I wrong here? Is she? I'm not turning this into a "I want to be right, so there!" thing, I'm genuinely curious. I haven't even received any secondaries yet so I'm not sure what I'll write for that prompt (assuming I get a secondary....I hear VCU screens), but I feel like writing about something so personal might be a bad idea?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, this is my first post after reading this forum for a while.

One of my good friends who's a year older than me and in the middle of applying to med school too was discussing one of her essays with me. Specifically, Virginia Commonwealth's essay about something that gives insight into the applicant as a person, but may be on any topic at all. A few years ago she was struggling with an eating disorder while involved in a sport (this was before she and I really became friends) and has since overcome it extremely well it seems and now leads a very balanced life. But apparently it was a very significant battle/challenge in her life. She's planning on using this experience for the essay mentioned above, but I told her it might seem like a liability to med schools to accept her, knowing she has this skeleton in her closet. She seems to think that the overcoming adversity thing supersedes that and believes she should keep the essay she wrote about her troubles with food/sport.

What do you guys think? Am I wrong here? Is she? I'm not turning this into a "I want to be right, so there!" thing, I'm genuinely curious. I haven't even received any secondaries yet so I'm not sure what I'll write for that prompt (assuming I get a secondary....I hear VCU screens), but I feel like writing about something so personal might be a bad idea?

i see it as overcoming adversity. she's doing well & has learned from it. i doubt med schools would reject her b/c of this. everyone has skeletons in their closet.

I think as long as she's very clear that this is a resolved issue, she's probably okay.

Members don't see this ad :)
While I don't think that that particular skeleton is going to haunt her, there are some that do. For instance, I don't think that many applicants with a history of Drug Abuse, Alcoholism, or Self-Harm are going to stand much of a chance...

it's all really in the presentation. she needs to make it clear that she's overcome this & has learned from it. something like "it will make me a better physician b/c i can relate to patients with eating-disorders better than others that haven't gone through it"

While I don't think that that particular skeleton is going to haunt her, there are some that do. For instance, I don't think that many applicants with a history of Drug Abuse, Alcoholism, or Self-Harm are going to stand much of a chance...

I agree with the second sentence; however, I think I tend to sort of lump an eating disorder into "self harm" or at the very least a "weak" personality trait. Not that I consider my friend "weak"...in fact I consider her insanely strong, listening to her describe what she's gone through and overcome, but I'm not an ADCOM. I don't want them to read her essay and think "well, this person clearly has some psych issues we want nothing to do with."

I agree that if it's conveyed as in-the-past thing, I don't think it'd be bad. And honestly, I'd say at least half the women I know have disordered eating patterns (not necessarily a full-blown disorder), so an unhealthy relationship with food is hardly something shocking.

I agree that if it's conveyed as in-the-past thing, I don't think it'd be bad. And honestly, I'd say at least half the women I know have disordered eating patterns (not necessarily a full-blown disorder), so an unhealthy relationship with food is hardly something shocking.

Fair enough.

What if I told you that my friend is actually a male?

I agree with the second sentence; however, I think I tend to sort of lump an eating disorder into "self harm" or at the very least a "weak" personality trait.
It's not a personality trait, anyway, it's a disease. Besides, it'd be strange to argue that someone who has anorexia or exercise bulimia is "weak" - after all, most of us DON'T have what it takes to restrict our eating habits or exercise so much, so the opposite should be applied if this were truly a personality trait and not an illness.

If she's open and genuine about the subject, then it isn't a skeleton and it's not in the closet. Eating disorders aren't uncommon with teenagers. It's not a shocking revelation that would give the impression that's she's unstable. If she views the experience and how she overcame the disorder as something that defines who she is today, then, yes, she could write a successful essay.

How often do people with eating disorders relapse and fall back into the destructive behavior? I've never looked into it, but it seems like the type of thing people have to just cope with and are never really "cured," of. I think some adcoms might think you could relapse under the pressure during med school and might look unfavorably upon it. Up to your friend though, I'd probably risk it and just mention it.

Fair enough.

I would not suggest describing it in this case. I think as of right now, there's a lot more stigma surrounding males than females when it comes to EDs.

I think as of right now, there's a lot more stigma surrounding males than females when it comes to EDs.
Well, I should hope so! I didn't think that ED could apply to women... [/poor taste]

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh:
Well, I should hope so! I didn't think that ED could apply to women... [/poor taste]
:laugh:

Eating disorders are more common with teenaged boys than most people realize. People don't think of guys as having that body image problem, or realize the psychological pressure that sports like wrestling or football can put on them to maintain certain weight ranges in their growing bodies. If I guy were to write about that, he might be able to pull it off, and he might not. I'd think it would only partially be his writing ability that swung the essay. The clincher is that it is individuals who do the reading. So, there is a great deal of subjectivity involved. The readers and interviewers might latch on in a positive manner, or might have a personal aversion to the subject and transfer that to their opinion of the writer.

:laugh::laugh:

Eating disorders are more common with teenaged boys than most people realize. People don't think of guys as having that body image problem, or realize the psychological pressure that sports like wrestling or football can put on them to maintain certain weight ranges in their growing bodies. If I guy were to write about that, he might be able to pull it off, and he might not. I'd think it would only partially be his writing ability that swung the essay. The clincher is that it is individuals who do the reading. So, there is a great deal of subjectivity involved. The readers and interviewers might latch on in a positive manner, or might have a personal aversion to the subject and transfer that to their opinion of the writer.
Yeah, I think you need to keep the audience in mind, which is why I advised against doing this if the individual is male. Think about it this way - nowadays, it is not uncommon to write a PS that addresses your struggles as a teenage single mom and how it has helped you be more mature and responsible. Would that fly in the 1950s, if women were actually applying to medical school back then? Absolutely not. You have to roll with the times.

I don't think there's any problem at all with your friend using his story of an eating disorder. People with eating disorders are not weak or psycho, in fact, being able to overcome it tells me that he is a very strong person. I can sort of relate because I've struggled with eating/food issues and I have learned so much from it. For one thing, I've learned to understand what addiction is all about and I've learned not to be judgemental towards people who struggle with addictions, no matter what they are addicted to. I definitely think that his experience would make him a better doctor because he can relate.

Just to play devil's advocate....I just wonder if it's the best idea to give an ADCOM any reason to find a person as a less than stellar applicant. Mental illness (which is essentially the root problem of any eating disorder) is something that I would personally think would be a red flag, regardless of whether or not it's been resolved. The reality is that most people with eating disorders never get cured, they simply refrain from extreme behaviors if they do recover some.

I do realize the strength it takes to overcome an eating disorder, but I just don't know if it's something to tell ADCOMs about.

It's certainly unfair, though...it's ok to say "I had cancer and now I'm cured," but saying "I was anorexic but now I'm cured" is not nearly as acceptable.

ssquared said:
Mental illness (which is essentially the root problem of any eating disorder) is something that I would personally think would be a red flag, regardless of whether or not it's been resolved.
:thumbup:

And, while I'm singing your praises, I'll say that your signature's brilliant, though I don't know where it's from.

I agree with the second sentence; however, I think I tend to sort of lump an eating disorder into "self harm" or at the very least a "weak" personality trait. Not that I consider my friend "weak"...in fact I consider her insanely strong, listening to her describe what she's gone through and overcome, but I'm not an ADCOM. I don't want them to read her essay and think "well, this person clearly has some psych issues we want nothing to do with."

I also lump it into self harm and I agree that it's in the same category as Alcohol/Drug abuse since those are things that people don't completely recover from, and might fall back on in times of stress. Because of that, I wouldn't put it in my secondary application unless it was highlighting something along the lines of "why I want to work with people with eating disorders"

like i've said before, i'd include it. b/c she's overcome an eating disorder, she is a stronger person for it. it would be foolish of an admissions committee to disregard her application b/c of her previous history. she has many advantages over applicants like us that HAVE NOT gone through situations like that, namely: she can relate with patients that engage in self-destructive behavior, and can probably offer her patients 10000x better advice than you or i. everyone has their own skeletons, and she will not be a bad physician because of it. if anything, if this problem creeps up again under the stress of medical school, she will know how to manage it effectively. b/c she's had an eating disorder in the past DOES NOT mean it will happen again, nor does NOT having an eating disorder before medical school mean we will never be faced with one (or a similar situation) in the future.

Speaking as someone who is doing eating disorders research, started an eating disorders prevention program, and had an eating disorder as a teenager, I don't think she should mention it. The relapse rate for eating disorders is very high, and there is often cross addiction to more unacceptable substances. And as was stated previously, a very high stress situation (like medical school) is a prime trigger for relapse. Your friend is probably the acception to the rules, but anyone on an ADCOM who has expertise in this field probably will second guess the situation, even if only subconciously. So tread lightly...

Good luck to your friend!
S

Fair enough.

Is he a boxer/wrestler?
If he is or if his weight problem relates to something of that nature, he can explain that he was overly focused on his sport and has realized that his *determination and work ethic*:D can sometimes take him too far. In this case, I feel that the eating disorder would not really be about body image and self-esteem but more about dedication to a sport (although it is an unhealthy one), and I feel that adcoms would not look at it as badly as if it was just self-consciousness as long as he explains himself well. If football players can bulk up, why can't wrestlers slim down?

Is he a boxer/wrestler?
If he is or if his weight problem relates to something of that nature, he can explain that he was overly focused on his sport and has realized that his *determination and work ethic*:D can sometimes take him too far. In this case, I feel that the eating disorder would not really be about body image and self-esteem but more about dedication to a sport (although it is an unhealthy one), and I feel that adcoms would not look at it as badly as if it was just self-consciousness as long as he explains himself well. If football players can bulk up, why can't wrestlers slim down?

I'd tend to agree with this poster. If it was a sports-related thing and he needed to maintain a certain weight/physique and as a result became a bit obsessed (and then overcame this), it might sell well depending on his writing ability. Perhaps LizzyM can interject here.

I asked about something similar to this earlier, and I decided not to include it. Why? Someone mentioned to me that people in this field know how easy it is to relapse, and someone in this thread pointed out that med school might be a trigger.

I think it is profoundly unfair that the internal battles fought by me, your friend, and many others have to go unacknowledged, but it seems simply too risky to mention it.

Please let me/us know what your friend decides, and the outcome.

PS. Another option would be to include it on a secondary essay... I think you said he wanted to include it on the primary, but if it was on a secondary, at least not all of the schools would get it, thus reducing the risk.

Best of luck to you and him. *hugs*

I asked about something similar to this earlier, and I decided not to include it. Why? Someone mentioned to me that people in this field know how easy it is to relapse, and someone in this thread pointed out that med school might be a trigger.

I think it is profoundly unfair that the internal battles fought by me, your friend, and many others have to go unacknowledged, but it seems simply too risky to mention it.

Please let me/us know what your friend decides, and the outcome.

PS. Another option would be to include it on a secondary essay... I think you said he wanted to include it on the primary, but if it was on a secondary, at least not all of the schools would get it, thus reducing the risk.

Best of luck to you and him. *hugs*

From the OP's first post, I'm pretty sure it's for a secondary (VCU) and not the primary personal statement.

For what it's worth, I wrote about my ED in my personal statement and got in during the 2001-02 cycle. If it's well written and demonstrates insight and growth I don't see it as a problem. I felt that if a school would look upon my ED negatively as an admission standpoint, then it wasn'y going to be the school for me. Considering it is a significant part of who I am now, I didn't want to feel like I had to hide it.

For what it's worth, I wrote about my ED in my personal statement and got in during the 2001-02 cycle. If it's well written and demonstrates insight and growth I don't see it as a problem. I felt that if a school would look upon my ED negatively as an admission standpoint, then it wasn'y going to be the school for me. Considering it is a significant part of who I am now, I didn't want to feel like I had to hide it.

Very interesting. In what capacity did the subject arise during interviews, and how were questions fielded (if you don't mind me asking)?