eating like a cow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juniper456

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is anyone else stuffing their face for no reason? i can't seem to focus and study without constantly munching. . . the mcat is bad for my arteries.

Members don't see this ad.

Ugh. Wait until you're done interviewing and you're waiting for decisions.

I just had to go join a gym.

I meant it in a light-hearted, funny way, though! ;)

Best plan: replace munching with something healthier. Like gum-chewing or tic-tac eating, or drinking extra water and peeing every 20 minutes on study breaks.

If you're munching, maybe you're secretly stressed about your performance on the MCAT or in the whole med school applications process. Anxiety can do funny things. It might help to try relaxation exercises, or go for a run or hit the gym, or take a day off to hang out with a significant other or party, etc.

Good luck with it, though, whatever you try. And good luck on the MCAT, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
juniper456 said:
is anyone else stuffing their face for no reason? i can't seem to focus and study without constantly munching. . . the mcat is bad for my arteries.
For me it's not the eating, but the sitting and studying in so much of what would normally be my "free time". I'm not running as much and I'm just not as active as I would be without making time for MCAT prep. Plus here in North Carolina it's 70 degrees today, so being inside is making me crazy. After April 16th I'm going to crank up the workouts another notch!

oh gosh i stopped going to the gym (i know, bad idea) and i feel like i've lost practically all muscle tone i had previously. :( plus i eat nothing but unhealthy food now just b/c it's quick...

hopefully in the summer we will all be able to eating right, etc., instead of re-taking the mcat in august :) :luck:

Let me tell you honey. I have been attacking the fridge nightly and eating out as my therapy. And I am sad to say that I've put on five pounds in about two weeks. So I've put myself on a diet, because the MCAT is terrible enough, without the cow-syndrome. And it's always late at night. I'll be studying and the next thing I know I've eaten like half a box of cookies, a piece of cake, some yogurt, 5 cups of coffee, etc. And whenever things really suck I always go get a cinnamon roll or cookie or something as comfort food. Oh, and the lunch during practice MCATs it's unbelievable. Yeah, so I feel you. Fatness sucks.

See if anyone can beat me

I ran a mini-marathon in april of 04, then started studying for the MCAT in MAY, since then I put on 40 pounds. almost all of that was during the summer. Im just starting to work it off now.

OK. in six weeks my diet will commence. how much damage can i possibly do in six weeks? :scared:

who here would put on 50lbs overnight in order to score a 35 on the MCAT?

rpkall said:
Ugh. Wait until you're done interviewing and you're waiting for decisions.

I just had to go join a gym.

I agree!!! After going through everything...waiting day after day after day...dreading to get mail...but at the same time hoping that there's something there. The gym, definitely helps!

just today i had... iced chai tea, a bag of cheerios, a bottle of water, a caesar salad, nuggets (gotta love wendy's 99¢ menu), a pickle spear, seafood dip with crackers... and it's not even 4 pm yet! :( MCAT fifteen... or twenty or thirty...we'll see how high it goes!

anyone want to buy me a treadmill?

You kids have problems. I was stressed when I was studying for the MCAT, but the level you guys take it to is ridiculous.

Well I think we all have a good reason to be somewhat stressed out. Lets be supportive of each other though. Being stressed out is normal and pretty much a pre-req to be a pre-med. :rolleyes:

What I ended up doing was buying a lot of soy milk and cereal (smart start rocks!!! :love: ) and whenever I get stressed out I just indulge a bowl (or two). I also go for yogurt with granola (strawberry yogurt hits the spot). These foods are generally low calorie and taste awesome. I suggest you all try the combos that I have been using. I havent gained anything at all besides some knowledge about galvanic cells!!! Though for the last two fridays I have gone and had some French Fries.

Everyday I go and run or workout for a good 50 minutes on the treadmill. Working out does wonders for the mind when you are stressed!!!

Hope this helps! Keep slugging away at the test.

the safest thing you could do is just not buy the munchie food so you don't have it sitting around. or find another way to reduce stress. i prefer the ice rink :) studying goes by so much faster if i know that at a certain time, i can put down my books and freeze my butt off for 2 hours. and i don't know if this works for anyone else, but wear a tightish pair of jeans when you study. the waist band will be bothering you once you start eating, so you won't want to eat anymore. i dunno, it works for me. i never wear sweatpants when i eat, since then i'll tend to overeat b/c my pants still fit.

I was totally addicted to salad with Newman's Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing when I was studying for the MCAT. I had the most wholesome diet during those days. I miss it. The salads, not the studying.

gwang said:
I was totally addicted to salad with Newman's Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing when I was studying for the MCAT. I had the most wholesome diet during those days. I miss it. The salads, not the studying.

me too! it goes really great with feta cheese, kalamata olives, croutons, bacon bits, and some breadsticks on the side.

:rolleyes:

chicagomel said:
me too! it goes really great with feta cheese, kalamata olives, croutons, bacon bits, and some breadsticks on the side.

:rolleyes:

Oh man that stuff is excellent!!! Balsamic Vinegrette is the good stuff!!! Yum!

:love: