EC descriptions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juiceman311

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How detailed should I be making these. Should I relate it's significance to my amazingness? Or should I just be laying out what it is/was and leave it at that? I'm thinking: a few sentences of what the EC is, and then a few on my involvement and its significance to me

Members don't see this ad.

juiceman311 said:
How detailed should I be making these. Should I relate it's significance to my amazingness? Or should I just be laying out what it is/was and leave it at that? I'm thinking: a few sentences of what the EC is, and then a few on my involvement and its significance to me
You're leaving out the single most important part of your EC descriptions: Describe how what you did/learned/etc. can relate to the medical field and demonstrates your potential for future success as a physician.

You need to be very detailed. i talked to one of the admissions director- she looked at my EC description and said that I need to explain in detail what I did, how it will help me as a future doctor/med student, and how my position fit in with the whole project/organization.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another bump here. I've heard conflicting accounts on this...

juiceman311 said:
Another bump here. I've heard conflicting accounts on this...

What if some ECs are not medically related at all??? I assume you can probably spin anything around to make it sound like it will contribute to your character and future success as a medical student/doctor, but heres an example: I worked for the school newspaper in multiple positions on the business side of things (not writing/editing any articles)... Should I even list my experience as a sales associate, or an employee in the marketing or finance department??? They don't really make me out to be a better future doctor, but I was also not a science major so none of my my jobs were science related.. Help!?