EC Ideas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seven Costanza

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some good ideas for ECs I can do in the next year before I apply?

FYI: I have worked in an orthopedic clinic for 2 years and as an ER scribe for a little over a semester before that. I have done some (not much) non clinical volunteering. I will be going to costa rica this July to volunteer in a health clinic there for 2 weeks. I am currently trying to get in to do some doctor shadowing, but it is proving to be more difficult than expected to get my foot in the door. I also live in Baton Rouge, LA in case anyone nearby has some specific ideas for my location.

Members don't see this ad.

Just do something you're interested in, volunteer with an organization you support, read to kids....it's not like you have to fill every possible "typical pre-med" EC.
I don't get why people are so worried about this. Do you have interests and hobbies? Find something related to them! You'll be much more genuine if you actually care/are passionate about the activities you participate in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just do something you're interested in, volunteer with an organization you support, read to kids....it's not like you have to fill every possible "typical pre-med" EC.
I don't get why people are so worried about this. Do you have interests and hobbies? Find something related to them! You'll be much more genuine if you actually care/are passionate about the activities you participate in.

Yea I run marathons and have done an iron man. I guess just everyone else's long list of ECs makes me worried. I was also kind of hoping someone in my area would see this and have specific ideas.

don't go to Costa Rica, its been done before too many times. Do (1) thing that NO ONE else has ever done.