EC question on application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daisy1777

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I have a general application question. I am not 100% sure what all I should list on my EC section... here are my ideas for things I have done. Can I get some feedback as to if I should use any of these? Thanks! !

Spent the past 10 years (I am in my 30s) going to dr visits and waiting during surgeries with my sister (she was in a bad auto accident when we were in our early teens). I've been there to help her through them and her recoveries. I used some of this in my PS.

Raised German Shepherds for 6 years

ER volunteer (cleaning and stocking exam rooms)

Shadowing obgyn and family practice

Red cross volunteer

Worked in family business (helped my dad basically run two business) for 7 years

Have a thyroid condition that I spent 3 years doing my own research about before getting a diagnosis

Worked as the missions secretary for my church for 2 years

Sunday school teacher assistant for 3 years

Members don't see this ad.

All of these are great except your and your sisters medical problems which are fine for PS material but not really an activity for work/activities section.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I have a general application question. I am not 100% sure what all I should list on my EC section... here are my ideas for things I have done. Can I get some feedback as to if I should use any of these? Thanks! !

Spent the past 10 years (I am in my 30s) going to dr visits and waiting during surgeries with my sister (she was in a bad auto accident when we were in our early teens). I've been there to help her through them and her recoveries. I used some of this in my PS.
No. I would not call that an extracurricular activity, but it is definitely worthwhile to talk about it in your PS!

Raised German Shepherds for 6 years
Probably. Are you in some kind of organization with that? Why are you raising them? If they're just pets, then no. I raised a seeing eye dog through the 4H and got to talk about it at a few interviews.

ER volunteer (cleaning and stocking exam rooms)
Yes

Shadowing obgyn and family practice
Absolutely

Red cross volunteer
Absolutely

Worked in family business (helped my dad basically run two business) for 7 years
Absolutely

Have a thyroid condition that I spent 3 years doing my own research about before getting a diagnosis
Like real bench research or more review of literature type stuff on your own time? I probably wouldn't call the latter an EC unless it was some kind of organized scientific research, but you could definitely address it in your PS!

Worked as the missions secretary for my church for 2 years
Yes

Sunday school teacher assistant for 3 years
Yes

See bolded responses above.

And sorry your sister was in an accident. :(

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate the feedback. Thanks for the sympathy for my sister as well. We have been through alot together and through that and my issue is where I found my passion for medicine.

See bolded responses above.

Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it very much. The German shepards I raised were not pets, I had a couple that went to the military and the police department :)