EC Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soccerusa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I will be applying in this coming cycle and I had a quick question about ECs. I have extensive bench research, teaching, shadowing and a semester worth of clinical research. However, the only true service I have is a two hour a week commitment teaching english to spanish speakers that I have been doing since a freshman. Is this enough, or do I need to find something more this semester and summer. I am plenty busy otherwise with also being an RA and working heavily in a basic science lab but I am worried that schools will think there is not enough pure service. Any thoughts??
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My primary volunteer commitment was a two hour week deal. Can you write a "most meaningful" experience essay about it where you get a chance to talk about the impact of this volunteerism on you and how you have taken initiative or otherwise distinguished yourself through that commitment? Hours wise, 2 hours per week for a few years seems fine to me.

Two hours per week for 3 years or more is admirable.... we like to see students who have "stuck with it" and not just done something to "check a box".