EC secondary update question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michaelkaranja2

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I completed my EC's with projected hours but my plans have changed. Due to shortages at the family practice I scribe at, I have had to increase my hours to be the front desk receptionist. Unfortunately, I planned on volunteering about 75 more hours at a hospital than I have on file (I have about 75 on file). I was wondering should I submit an update letter to schools on my secondary which includes my lack of hours volunteering and my increased hours at the family practice? (went from about 200 to 400)

Members don't see this ad.

So I completed my EC's with projected hours but my plans have changed. Due to shortages at the family practice I scribe at, I have had to increase my hours to be the front desk receptionist. Unfortunately, I planned on volunteering about 75 more hours at a hospital than I have on file (I have about 75 on file). I was wondering should I submit an update letter to schools on my secondary which includes my lack of hours volunteering and my increased hours at the family practice? (went from about 200 to 400)
This change in plans will not have an impact on your application clinical-hours-wise, as you are substituting volunteer clinical experience with paid clinical experience.

But if that was your only form of volunteerism, I suggest you seek out a nonmedical community service gig that has hourly commitments compatible with your work schedule and get that going (perhaps something related to other community service in which you've been involved before). Wait until you have accumulated some hours with the latter before updating schools (where allowed).

If you have nonmedical community service that is ongoing, then by all means go ahead and include the change in clinical involvement on Secondaries (where possible), along with updated volunteer hours.

Reactions: 1 user
This change in plans will not have an impact on your application clinical-hours-wise, as you are substituting volunteer clinical experience with paid clinical experience.

But if that was your only form of volunteerism, I suggest you seek out a nonmedical community service gig that has hourly commitments compatible with your work schedule and get that going (perhaps something related to other community service in which you've been involved before). Wait until you have accumulated some hours with the latter before updating schools (where allowed).

If you have nonmedical community service that is ongoing, then by all means go ahead and include the change in clinical involvement on Secondaries (where possible), along with updated volunteer hours.

Okay, sounds good! Thank you for clearing that up and I will get working on that

Reactions: 1 user