ECFMG certificate needed to obtain a training license?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gizmo007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping a program director or someone involved with residency programs might be able to answer my question...is the ECFMG certificate required to apply for a training license?
I will be finished with my last rotation at the end of May, and by the time my evaluation grade is entered into the system and my school actually submits my transcript and diploma to ECFMG it will be early June. Since it takes anywhere from 2-6 weeks to obtain the ECFMG certificate how will I be able to start my residency in July if I don't have my certificate at that time? Is my residency program allowed to apply for a training license even if I'm not ECFMG certified?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm hoping a program director or someone involved with residency programs might be able to answer my question...is the ECFMG certificate required to apply for a training license?
I will be finished with my last rotation at the end of May, and by the time my evaluation grade is entered into the system and my school actually submits my transcript and diploma to ECFMG it will be early June. Since it takes anywhere from 2-6 weeks to obtain the ECFMG certificate how will I be able to start my residency in July if I don't have my certificate at that time? Is my residency program allowed to apply for a training license even if I'm not ECFMG certified?
that happened to me, dont worry, I finished in May 30, the residency will ask for a letter from your school stating when you finish, and with that you will get your training license. My ECFMG certificate did not arrive until I was one week into residency. As long you graduate on time, that is what it matters.

so lets say you need a permit, you can apply before the ecfmg certificate?

Last edited:
This is program dependent.

My program allowed me to start as long as they had the ECFMG certificate number (but not actually the certificate in hand). Others require it to start and apply for a training license.

The user above who states that "as long as you graduate that's all that matters" is inaccurate; technically you cannot start until you have an ECFMG certificate *number* and a training license. If ECFMG is backed up and won't give you a number over the phone, you can't start. Remember that some programs may be stricter and require the paper in hand.

Other programs have been known to not even interview FMGs/IMGs without the certificate (ie, you may need the certificate to even apply for residency).