snowman8

ASA Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2003
127
0
40
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm a med student.
I've passed the step1, and going to take the step2 CK & CS this summer.
However, I graduate at the end of March 2006.
That means I won't get the ECFMG certificate until then.

The application and interviews are in Oct-Dec.
The ROL and Match season is in mid March. (SF match is in January)
I'll not be certified by the time I get matched.

Does this mean I am not eligible to join the match 2006?
I'll get the certificate by the 1st day of residency though.
Could someone clarify this, please?

Thanks in advance.
 

Skip Intro

Registered User
15+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2002
3,377
954
Status
Attending Physician
snowman8 said:
Does this mean I am not eligible to join the match 2006?
I'll get the certificate by the 1st day of residency though.
Could someone clarify this, please?
You should start the ECFMG process as soon as possible, if you haven't already.

Both medical school students and graduates may begin the certification process. However, since one of the requirements for ECFMG Certification is that your medical diploma be independently verified by your medical school to ECFMG, you cannot complete the certification process until you graduate and receive your diploma. The time required for some aspects of the certification process, such as the time required by your medical school to verify your medical diploma, are beyond the control of ECFMG.
http://www.ecfmg.org/cert/index.html

Provided that the ECFMG certifies your eligibility, you can participate in the Match next year. You just will have to have your final ECFMG certification by the time you begin residency in July.

The only state that has some screwy requirements is California. Since I'm not applying in California and don't know the details, perhaps someone else can tell you the specifics (if that is an issue for you).

Long story short, just make sure you've started your ECFMG certification process. If you've taken Step 1 already, you certainly have and should be okay for next year's Match.

Good luck.

-Skip
 

ALMD2B

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2003
63
0
42
Visit site
Status
In terms of california, you will need L6 forms from every rotation you did. They can be printed out from the california board of medicine website (www.fsmb.org). Just print out one and photocopy it. They need to be signed and stamped from the hospital(s) (medical education department) where you did your clinical rotations.

Also,you will need 54 weeks of clinical clerkships through ACGME approved programs with NO core rotations done at DO hospitals. California will then grant you a "status letter" once you graduate (45 days later) which verifies eligibility for licensure in California. Note that this should all be done ASAP to be ready for the match.

A.
 

Miklos

Guest
15+ Year Member
Nov 26, 2003
729
0
Status
Resident [Any Field]
ALMD2B said:
In terms of california, you will need L6 forms from every rotation you did. They can be printed out from the california board of medicine website (www.fsmb.org). Just print out one and photocopy it. They need to be signed and stamped from the hospital(s) (medical education department) where you did your clinical rotations.

Also,you will need 54 weeks of clinical clerkships through ACGME approved programs with NO core rotations done at DO hospitals. California will then grant you a "status letter" once you graduate (45 days later) which verifies eligibility for licensure in California. Note that this should all be done ASAP to be ready for the match.

A.
http://www.medbd.ca.gov/appstatusltr.pdf

California Med Board said:
The minimum training requirements, which must be satisfied by graduates of international schools prior to becoming eligible to commence post-graduate training in California, are as follows:

1) Submit an application with all supporting documents and fees to the Licensing Program and satisfy all undergraduate medical education and training requirements.

AND

2) Take and pass at least Steps 1 and 2 of the USMLE or its equivalent.
This still leaves one significant problem. All the programs I looked at required a status letter in order to apply to program. Prior to graduation, you cannot get a status letter, so you cannot apply.
 

BellKicker

Twisted Miler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2002
1,333
1
Up North
Visit site
Status
Snowman,

My schedule looked a lot like yours this year. Not being certified before you apply will restrict you from applying to a few programs. Just do your research and you'll be fine.

In my experience, no one seemed to care whether I was ecfmg certified or not. I applied with only step 1 (like you probably will) and that really wasn't an issue, either.

My only concern with this schedule is that one has to be ecfmg certified before June in order to start residency (obviously). I called ecfmg (I just sent in my diploma for verification) and they told me they will "fast track" it (or some such expression) because I had already passed al the steps. I certainly plan on calling a few times more just to make sure there's no paper jam in the system.

The conclusion is that your planned schedule should offer no problems in terms of matching.

Oh, and I know nothing about California, except I know a girl who went to my school pre-matched there while she was still a student. I don't know how she did that but obviously she mush have been able to apply before graduation.
 

Miklos

Guest
15+ Year Member
Nov 26, 2003
729
0
Status
Resident [Any Field]
BellKicker said:
Oh, and I know nothing about California, except I know a girl who went to my school pre-matched there while she was still a student. I don't know how she did that but obviously she mush have been able to apply before graduation.
No kidding? What kind of residency?
 

taozi

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2003
10
0
Visit site
Status
snowman8 said:
I'm a med student.
I've passed the step1, and going to take the step2 CK & CS this summer.
However, I graduate at the end of March 2006.
That means I won't get the ECFMG certificate until then.

The application and interviews are in Oct-Dec.
The ROL and Match season is in mid March. (SF match is in January)
I'll not be certified by the time I get matched.

Does this mean I am not eligible to join the match 2006?
I'll get the certificate by the 1st day of residency though.
Could someone clarify this, please?

Thanks in advance.
You should be able to go for the match next year without an ECFMG cert, although it looks like you won't be getting your CA letter in time which will limit your choice of CA programs (if this is what you want). Most CA programs won't review your ERAS app if you don't have this letter (which really sucks!) I think for other states you shouldn't have any problems.
 

pkpkpk420

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2003
20
0
Visit site
Status
BellKicker said:
Snowman,

My schedule looked a lot like yours this year. Not being certified before you apply will restrict you from applying to a few programs. Just do your research and you'll be fine.

In my experience, no one seemed to care whether I was ecfmg certified or not. I applied with only step 1 (like you probably will) and that really wasn't an issue, either.

My only concern with this schedule is that one has to be ecfmg certified before June in order to start residency (obviously). I called ecfmg (I just sent in my diploma for verification) and they told me they will "fast track" it (or some such expression) because I had already passed al the steps. I certainly plan on calling a few times more just to make sure there's no paper jam in the system.

The conclusion is that your planned schedule should offer no problems in terms of matching.

Oh, and I know nothing about California, except I know a girl who went to my school pre-matched there while she was still a student. I don't know how she did that but obviously she mush have been able to apply before graduation.

how are they going to "fast track" it??
im in teh same boat right now trying ot get my cert and i end up calling em every other day to see wassup and they have been making ridiculous excuses about not receiving transcripts etc although tracking reveals they have..
and the credentialing supervisor insists that there is no backlog because if it was addressed to her (which it was by the school) she would have record of it despite it not being in the computer system.,..

so FRUSTRATING...
 

BellKicker

Twisted Miler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2002
1,333
1
Up North
Visit site
Status
pkpkpk420 said:
how are they going to "fast track" it??
im in teh same boat right now trying ot get my cert and i end up calling em every other day to see wassup and they have been making ridiculous excuses about not receiving transcripts etc although tracking reveals they have..
and the credentialing supervisor insists that there is no backlog because if it was addressed to her (which it was by the school) she would have record of it despite it not being in the computer system.,..

so FRUSTRATING...
Wow, that sucks. Didn't your school send the whole transcript and that form (327A or something like that) in the same package? It seems like they should either have received it or not. I have heard the rumors about how slow they can be but I'll admit from personal experience everyone has been very helpful so far.

If it makes you feel better, you're way ahead of me. My school sent the stuff out today so ecfmg won't even begin to look at it for at least a week.
 

BellKicker

Twisted Miler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2002
1,333
1
Up North
Visit site
Status
Oh, and the fast track thing was just something she said. I don't know how that works. When you think about it, though, most of the Caribbean grads graduate very close to the beginning of residency, so the ecfmg must have some sort of super fast track. Most likely, they try to get everyone ready for July the best they can.
 

pkpkpk420

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2003
20
0
Visit site
Status
BellKicker said:
Wow, that sucks. Didn't your school send the whole transcript and that form (327A or something like that) in the same package? It seems like they should either have received it or not. I have heard the rumors about how slow they can be but I'll admit from personal experience everyone has been very helpful so far.

If it makes you feel better, you're way ahead of me. My school sent the stuff out today so ecfmg won't even begin to look at it for at least a week.

LOL yeah everything was sent overnight mail to em.. and if u track it its been signed for...
but u know how they are and things get stuck in some mailroom somewhere..
ive just been on the phone with em every other day.. and my schools called em several times... just its just a matter of being on their case... nonetheless they found everything and gonna issue the cert today..

got it done in well under 4 weeks.. so im happy.. but dealing with him is frustrating...
im canadian so im taking step 3 thats why i cant wait round till may june for it..
 

BellKicker

Twisted Miler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2002
1,333
1
Up North
Visit site
Status
pkpkpk420 said:
got it done in well under 4 weeks.. so im happy.. but dealing with him is frustrating...
im canadian so im taking step 3 thats why i cant wait round till may june for it..
:thumbup: Congrats. That's really fast, talk about fast tracking on that one.