ECFMG Certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

northandponce

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Alot of programs, list in the prerequisites that IMG's be ECFMG Certified in order to be "ranked"

I'm a bit confused about this, seeing as though I will not graduate until April 2nd --> certification takes about a month after that. This probably holds true for alot of other IMG's.

Does this mean- I can't apply? Should I save my money?

2) The other problem I'm running into, another prerequesite: LOR's that have to be from a "chariman" of the dept.

Well, I am from a Carib school- and I did my rotations in the UK- so there is no "chairman" per se.

Again, am I eligible? Or should I save the dough?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

can comment only on ecfmg certification:
basically a program that requires ecfmg certification does so imo so that they wont be left high and dry with a candidate that ends up not passing a future step or running into trouble with ecfmg in some capacity. in which case they would have to hustle to fill the spot at the last minute with a likely unknown candidate.
ecfmg certification says you are READY to go to work, today.
its risky for them to take a non certified applicant,
its saying yes we take IMG's but only "safe" certified IMG's.
i think you could read this to mean that a program that doesnt require certification is less desirable for whatever reason.
take that with a grain of salt, there are always exceptions.

right- i kind of understood WHY they were requiring it.

but for many of us, it's a bind.

We dont get ecfmg certified until after match day- so does that mean I have to wait till NEXT year to match? Since, afterall- i'm only looking at "desirable" programs ;)

wha

right- i kind of understood WHY they were requiring it.

but for many of us, it's a bind.

We dont get ecfmg certified until after match day- so does that mean I have to wait till NEXT year to match? Since, afterall- i'm only looking at "desirable" programs ;)

wha

Yes. If a program requires ECFMG certification to interview or to rank you, then you are not eligible for this year's match (at least at those programs). Programs are increasingly requiring this.

Even departments in the UK will have a Chair or Head Consultant for the specific department from which you need the letter. There is always someone in charge of the section/department.

Were those elective rotations in the UK? Aren't you supposed to get that LOR from a chairman in your mother institution?

Oh I see. I wasn't aware of that.

well, i have letters so far from.

Clinical Director, Medicine
Ass. Med. Director, Psych
Consultant, Surgery

Directors = Chair? not really.