Econ Grad, returning for biochem (pre-med)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SolidWater

Anesthesiology Resident
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you're getting another bachelors, that probably means you're taking enough courses to overcome your prior GPA (especially if you're getting all A's). Regarding your C in bio, if you're taking upper-level bio courses now and getting A's, you shouldn't need to retake the course (though you may want to discuss that with your program's premed advisor to be sure).

No one can calculate your cGPA for you, but there are online calculators that can help with that task.

I'm not sure what you mean by "what you should be weary of", but the only thing I can think of is assuming you'll get all A's. As long as you've got your ECs and LORs in order, you should be good.

Members don't see this ad :)
One C won't kill you, I had a 5 hr C in Calc many years ago; never came up in app discussions. There's not really a "recommended" GPA, other than "as high as you can achieve". You may want to take a look at school averages. I studied econ undergrad; seemed to be more logic based than premed stuff which was more memorization, and to some extent seeing patterns, based.

There's no point in retaking intro bio if you're doing well in your 2nd BS in biochem. Actually, if med school is all you're after I think the 2nd BS is a little excessive. If your scGPA is really high (which I'm assuming it's fast becoming) if you can get your cGPA up to ~3.4 you'll probably be ok. An extended post-bacc with lots of upper level science classes is more than sufficient. For the cost an effort I don't think the 2nd BS gets you that much more than 2 years of A's in science courses.

I graduated with a ~3.1 and just added 2 years of part-time coursework (about 12 classes total of all A's). I ended up with a 3.35 cGPA and 3.5 scGPA. I applied to 15 schools, got 8 interview offers, went to 7 of them, and got 6 acceptances.

Equally important is building an impressive resume of ECs, LORs, and a good MCAT.

A question about second degrees....Do they count the GPA for both degress or just the latest one achieved?

I got a BFA with a GPA of 3.2 but took some psych courses along the way and would only need 18 more credits of psych to graduate with a general BA. And all my courses are pretty good on that one aside from one F cause I thought I dropped it but never did.

All coursework is counted towards your gpa. So every class you've ever taken, even if it counted to no degree is averaged.

In before DO counts replacement grades.

All coursework is counted towards your gpa. So every class you've ever taken, even if it counted to no degree is averaged.
I'll second that. I had two undergrad degrees - I started the first when I was 16 and finished the second when I was 35. Everything was counted, regardless of date, re-take, degree-seeking status, etc. I've heard that some Canadian schools only look at your last 10 years, but I don't believe that that's necessarily the case at any U.S. schools - if it is, then it's on a school-by-school basis. That said, if you get a high enough MCAT or scGPA that they will read your application all the way through, I'm sure that they'll take timing into account.

Also, AMCAS can apparently do some magic to figure out what records you didn't submit for previous coursework & place holds on your app.

The stupid 6 hrs of humanities I took at an honors enrichment academy for college credit when I was 15 and never transferred for my degree will suddenly count. . .I'll be 33 when I apply. It's moderately ridiculous.