Economically disadvantaged and low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gladlyfocused

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just discovered that I can describe myself as economically disadvantaged; would that kind of cover up the fact that I have a low GPA? My uGPA is 2.93, I haven't calculated my sGPA yet. Would that boost my chances at acceptance (MD/DO)?

Also, do MD schools only look at AMCAS GPA? I kind of remember that they do, but I'd like to make sure from you guys. 'Cause for some reason, my AMCAS GPA is a 2.55 (yikes!). Is it because of my retakes? I used the AMCAS GPA calculator that is floating around SDN.

Thanks for looking!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No it will not make up for a low GPA. AAMCS also does not to grade replacement so all grades will be calculated. With a GPA that low, are you sure you are disciplined enough for med school classes?

No it will not make up for a low GPA. AAMCS also does not to grade replacement so all grades will be calculated. With a GPA that low, are you sure you are disciplined enough for med school classes?

Thank you for replying. Yes, I believe so. I was young, irresponsible and uninformed during my undergrad days. I am much wiser now and much more disciplined. I happened to receive great grades in my last year in college as well as in my post-bacc (except for that darned physics class), but unfortunately not good enough to reverse my earlier damage. I know I might take awhile to achieve my goals, but planning to take the MCAT soon to gauge how much work is cut out for me in the near future.

Plus, I'm almost past the cut-off GPA with a 2.93 :) I'll take that as encouragement! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming you have a decent MCAT score, you are a perfect candidate to take advantage of the AACOMAS grade replacement policy. I suggest sitting out this year to retake some more of your low grade classes to get your GPA up to the 3.5 range if possible, then apply to DO schools next summer (2015).

Reactions: 1 user
if you have degree with a 2.5 amcas gpa, you need to do retakes and try DO

Absolutely not. Your current numbers are not competitive for either MD or DO.

So I just discovered that I can describe myself as economically disadvantaged; would that kind of cover up the fact that I have a low GPA? My uGPA is 2.93, I haven't calculated my sGPA yet. Would that boost my chances at acceptance (MD/DO)?

Yes. Any retakes are avereged.

Also, do MD schools only look at AMCAS GPA? I kind of remember that they do, but I'd like to make sure from you guys. 'Cause for some reason, my AMCAS GPA is a 2.55 (yikes!).

Yes. You still have more work to do. Get that cGPA and sGPA > 3.0, and you'll be fine for many DO programs.

Is it because of my retakes? I used the AMCAS GPA calculator that is floating around SDN.

Thank you for replying. Yes, I believe so. I was young, irresponsible and uninformed during my undergrad days. I am much wiser now and much more disciplined. I happened to receive great grades in my last year in college as well as in my post-bacc (except for that darned physics class), but unfortunately not good enough to reverse my earlier damage. I know I might take awhile to achieve my goals, but planning to take the MCAT soon to gauge how much work is cut out for me in the near future.

Plus, I'm almost past the cut-off GPA with a 2.93 :) I'll take that as encouragement! :)

Prove you are capable with post bac work and/or retakes

Assuming you have a decent MCAT score, you are a perfect candidate to take advantage of the AACOMAS grade replacement policy. I suggest sitting out this year to retake some more of your low grade classes to get your GPA up to the 3.5 range if possible, then apply to DO schools next summer (2015).

Yup, that's the plan! I was just trying to see how far being economically disadvantaged would've taken me. I'm primarily interested in DO because of the grade replacement policy.

Absolutely not. Your current numbers are not competitive for either MD or DO.

Yes. Any retakes are avereged.

Also, do MD schools only look at AMCAS GPA? I kind of remember that they do, but I'd like to make sure from you guys. 'Cause for some reason, my AMCAS GPA is a 2.55 (yikes!).

Yes. You still have more work to do. Get that cGPA and sGPA > 3.0, and you'll be fine for many DO programs.

Is it because of my retakes? I used the AMCAS GPA calculator that is floating around SDN.

Thanks for replying Goro. My AACOMAS cGPA is 3.02 and sGPA is 3.2. I definitely have more retakes on the list.

Thanks all for taking the time to reply.

Reactions: 1 user