General Admissions & OTCAS Economically disadvantaged background will affect my acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ot-4-me

Reaction score
Hey guys, one of the questions on OTCAS explains, "To determine if you come from an economically disadvantaged background, you are asked to compare your parental family's size of household (number of exemptions listed on parent's Federal 1040 income tax forms) and adjusted gross income against the chart provided in the link below. The chart is based on 200 percent of Federal low-income poverty guidelines. You should use your parent's most recent tax forms regardless of age."

If I select yes, do you think it will affect how schools will review my application? Hypothetically, private schools would much rather select students who can afford the cost of tuition before loans. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, one of the questions on OTCAS explains, "To determine if you come from an economically disadvantaged background, you are asked to compare your parental family's size of household (number of exemptions listed on parent's Federal 1040 income tax forms) and adjusted gross income against the chart provided in the link below. The chart is based on 200 percent of Federal low-income poverty guidelines. You should use your parent's most recent tax forms regardless of age."

If I select yes, do you think it will affect how schools will review my application? Hypothetically, private schools would much rather select students who can afford the cost of tuition before loans. What do you guys think?
Doubt. Some utilize it to have you eligible for scholarships and such. Besides, everybody takes out loans, not really a big difference.

I don’t know but if it makes you feel better I fell under “economically disadvantaged” and “educationally disadvantaged” because of where I grew up — it weirded me out but I’m standing by that honesty is the best policy!

Reactions: 1 users