Mar 7, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
As senior year flies by, it's time to start thinking and actively researching medical schools. I've talked to my counselors but have only received non-specific ambiguous answers to my questions.

As a student at the University of Washington, my classes are all curved to a 2.6 and are packed with competitive students. I agree that this is the case for many schools, but it certainly affects my GPA more so than smaller public schools where tests are graded by humans and not by scantron reading computers... With this said, my GPA is a 3.2 - not very competitive for any allopathic schools in the U.S. Looking at my options, I am directed towards osteopathic or international schooling routes.

Will medical schools take into account that these curved classes may reflect my grades in a negative way in relation to other students?

My other question is about ECs. I have been working in an ambulance for 3 years, have been on healthcare reform trips to D.C., spent countless hours in operating rooms with highly acclaimed surgeons, taught health classes at homeless shelters... the list goes on. My question is can an overwhelming amount of ECs and experience outweigh my poor GPA?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

OP
Y
Mar 7, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
As senior year flies by, it's time to start thinking and actively researching medical schools. I've talked to my counselors but have only received non-specific ambiguous answers to my questions.

As a student at the University of Washington, my classes are all curved to a 2.6 and are packed with competitive students. I agree that this is the case for many schools, but it certainly affects my GPA more so than smaller public schools where tests are graded by humans and not by scantron reading computers... With this said, my GPA is a 3.2 - not very competitive for any allopathic schools in the U.S. Looking at my options, I am directed towards osteopathic or international schooling routes.

Will medical schools take into account that these curved classes may reflect my grades in a negative way in relation to other students?

My other question is about ECs. I have been working in an ambulance for 3 years, have been on healthcare reform trips to D.C., spent countless hours in operating rooms with highly acclaimed surgeons, taught health classes at homeless shelters... the list goes on. My question is can an overwhelming amount of ECs and experience outweigh my poor GPA?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

TriagePreMed

Membership Revoked
Removed
Apr 28, 2010
Status
Outweigh? No. Can it put you in a better position that everyone else with your same stats? Absolutely. You'll need a high MCAT score if you really want to offset your GPA.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Camp SDN: The Place for Summer Fun
1) Will medical schools take into account that these curved classes may reflect my grades in a negative way in relation to other students?

2) My question is can an overwhelming amount of ECs and experience outweigh my poor GPA?
1) Some schools do have a correction factor built into the formula by which they assess GPA and MCAT score.

2) Stellar ECs can be an amazing override factor, but my concern would be that your cGPA may not meet automatic cutoffs for stats, and thus the ECs would never be noticed. To call attention to your application and make sure it's fully assessed, it would be immensely helpful if you have an terrific MCAT score that is, say, 35+, which helps prove that you mastered the material even though your GPA doesn't suggest it.

Ignatius M.D.

5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
1) Some schools do have a correction factor built into the formula by which they assess GPA and MCAT score.

2) Stellar ECs can be an amazing override factor, but my concern would be that your cGPA may not meet automatic cutoffs for stats, and thus the ECs would never be noticed. To call attention to your application and make sure it's fully assessed, it would be immensely helpful if you have an terrific MCAT score that is, say, 35+, which helps prove that you mastered the material even though your GPA doesn't suggest it.
For your answer #1, are you saying that this pertains to individual under undergraduate schools? I realize this answer might seem obvious, but I want to make sure.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Camp SDN: The Place for Summer Fun
For your answer #1, are you saying that this pertains to individual under undergraduate schools? I realize this answer might seem obvious, but I want to make sure.
This pertains to individual med schools which may use a formulaic approach to assessing a candidate's stats.