ECs done in high school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuronex

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
If I had some (volunteered in hospital for 1 yr in 10th grade) clinical experience and some leadership experience (tutor for math and science in boys and girls club for 206 hrs) during my high school, should I list it in AMCAS application?
Just curious:idea:
Thanks, guys!!

Members don't see this ad.

Nope. College stuff only (including high school activities that carried over into your college years).

Members don't see this ad :)
The truth is that AMCAS has no rule against it, but the common wisdom of SDN is that high school experiences have no place on a med school application, unless you continued the activity into the college years (or you were an Eagle Scout). And of course if it was a formative experience, you can always mention it in the Personal Statement. If you go ahead and list it otherwise, it's unlikely to be regarded by adcomms.

Put it in if you have nothing else, But this is an "extra".

Dont expect this to replace the lack of (if you do lack) volunteering in university.

i really really really wouldn't put it down. there's absolutely no excuse to have not gotten any since you've been in college. you can mention it in your personal statement to show that you've been interested in medicine since high school but no.

Thanks, guys!
I kind of knew that this is not possible, but wanted to make sure.
However, I never thought of reflecting on them in personal statement.
Glad, I asked this!

Hi,
If I had some (volunteered in hospital for 1 yr in 10th grade) clinical experience and some leadership experience (tutor for math and science in boys and girls club for 206 hrs) during my high school, should I list it in AMCAS application?
Just curious:idea:
Thanks, guys!!

I've heard things from both sides saying "yes" and "no." My advisor personally said "yes," BUT with the exception that these activities be expectional. For instance, a summer job at BK would not cut it. If you did something that really contributed to your work ethics, your personality, etc., then, yes, I would say list it. Those things did have a lasting effect that carried on through college didn't it?

I have ECs from high schools too. In fact, I am listing my musical performances as ECs. I am not in a band or orchestra in college, but I have continued to play throughout college and have performed with friends and colleagues here and there for fun.

Good luck with your app.