ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuroanatomy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know that gpa and mcat are the most important for med school. But I also know that ECs are increasingly becoming more important as well. These days I see my friends and familiar faces engaged in so many activities; many people in the same organizations. And these organizations are so similar in that they have a premed emphasis ie clinical experience, research, health education, etc etc.
It seems as though being one of the founders of an organization means more to the individual, and ultimately to the adcomm than being a regular member or even a president of an already established organization. I was wondering for those of you out there that have founded or co-founded an organization on campus, what kind of organization you founded, how you went about getting support from faculty/staff, how you were able to raise funds, and how you were able to gain members. (I know most people gain members by flyering around campus) Also, if you founded an organization that has chapters at different schools, I would be interested in finding out about that organization to see if I might want to spearhead a chapter at my school. I think that by starting an organization I can learn a lot about building a foundation and maintaining it once it is established. THanks!

Oh fer' crying out loud. Just make something up. Maybe if you are stuck on the technicalities you can hold a meeting or two after putting up a couple of fliers. What are they going to do? Keep track of every dippy campus organization in the country? Who's to say you weren't the President of the Campus Crusade for Vishnu?

Oh fer' crying out loud. Just make something up. Maybe if you are stuck on the technicalities you can hold a meeting or two after putting up a couple of fliers. What are they going to do? Keep track of every dippy campus organization in the country? Who's to say you weren't the President of the Campus Crusade for Vishnu?

:thumbup:

one of the bigger reasons I'm not applying to my undergrad ;)

I know that gpa and mcat are the most important for med school. But I also know that ECs are increasingly becoming more important as well. These days I see my friends and familiar faces engaged in so many activities; many people in the same organizations. And these organizations are so similar in that they have a premed emphasis ie clinical experience, research, health education, etc etc.
It seems as though being one of the founders of an organization means more to the individual, and ultimately to the adcomm than being a regular member or even a president of an already established organization. I was wondering for those of you out there that have founded or co-founded an organization on campus, what kind of organization you founded, how you went about getting support from faculty/staff, how you were able to raise funds, and how you were able to gain members. (I know most people gain members by flyering around campus) Also, if you founded an organization that has chapters at different schools, I would be interested in finding out about that organization to see if I might want to spearhead a chapter at my school. I think that by starting an organization I can learn a lot about building a foundation and maintaining it once it is established. THanks!

I started a non traditional student organization at UC and it has been very succesful (see mdapplicants profile). I got support from the faculty and my faculty advisor is actually my organic professor. As far as funding goes, my treasurer handles that so I am not really sure about all of the intricacies. The key is getting through all of the work to start it up and then delegating tasks. You have to gain respect from other people and pick the right ones who you know will be willing to work hard for you and carry through what you want done. Hope that helps!