ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Disarming

Wicked
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some good ECs? Should they pertain to Medicine field or would it be better to be something community related?

Thanx. :)

Members don't see this ad.

What are some good ECs? Should they pertain to Medicine field or would it be better to be something community related?

Thanx. :)

Good ECs are activities that you enjoy and are willing to stick with over the long haul. If there is a leadership opportunity within the organization, all the better.

Some examples in no particular order: performing arts, studio arts, journalism, creative writing, varsity and club sports or other athletic activities, volunteer services of any kind, service on university committees. employment, ROTC or other military service, laboratory research.

Everyone should have some exposure to patients whether as a volunteer, through paid employment or shadowing a physican. Other activities should be chosen based on what floats your boat -- not what someone on SDN tells you is a "good" EC.

Totally agree with LizzyM. I've got a strong interest in underserved medicine and international health. My EC's reflect that and I think it has given my interviews a focus. I have some variety with them, but I'm not all over the board trying to 'be everything'.

SF