EC's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LUV29

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is nothing as stressful as thinking of applying to Med School. At the moment I am worried about my EC.

~I have 100+ hours clinical volunteering
~No shadowing experience yet (will be start next semester. With Approximately 4hours a week).
~I also have a question in this regard because I am Junior and managed to do shadowing of 80+hours in 2008 which was still in high school so I am not sure if that would be considered outdated (the shadowing was in Kenya)
~Also did a three week free clinic in December 2009 in Kenya with a registered NGO
~Research- non as of yet, but will also be doing some next summer
~I am also starting my own NGO this December in Kenya
~ I am a member of NSCS and Phi Theta Kappa society
~Won a scholarship this past summer at my volunteering hospital
~Speak 2 other languages

Also my overall GPA is a 3.5/3.6 and I have no idea how to calculate my science GPA according to the AMCAS but my GPAs in science considered classes are as follows:

Physics 1-A, Physics II-A, Pre-Calc- A, Stats-A, Stats-B, Gen Bio 1-B, Gen Bio 2-B, Gen Chem 1-B, Gen Chem 2-A, Cell Bio-A, Ecology-B, Orgo 1- B(might be an A). I have a couple of other Bio classes but those are not part of the pre-reqs so I am not sure if they count. I have also not taken the MCAT but will be taking my first one and hopefully the last one in April. Should I wait a year to apply to improve my stats or just go ahead and apply with next years cycle and hope for the best? I can handle any criticism. Thanks

SN: I am a Biology/Pre-med major with a Political Science Minor

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There is nothing as stressful as thinking of applying to Med School. At the moment I am worried about my EC.

~I have 100+ hours clinical volunteering
~No shadowing experience yet (will be start next semester. With Approximately 4hours a week).
~I also have a question in this regard because I am Junior and managed to do shadowing of 80+hours in 2008 which was still in high school so I am not sure if that would be considered outdated (the shadowing was in Kenya)
~Also did a three week free clinic in December 2009 in Kenya with a registered NGO
~Research- non as of yet, but will also be doing some next summer
~I am also starting my own NGO this December in Kenya
~ I am a member of NSCS and Phi Theta Kappa society
~Won a scholarship this past summer at my volunteering hospital
~Speak 2 other languages

Also my overall GPA is a 3.5/3.6 and I have no idea how to calculate my science GPA according to the AMCAS but my GPAs in science considered classes are as follows:

Physics 1-A, Physics II-A, Pre-Calc- A, Stats-A, Stats-B, Gen Bio 1-B, Gen Bio 2-B, Gen Chem 1-B, Gen Chem 2-A, Cell Bio-A, Ecology-B, Orgo 1- B(might be an A). I have a couple of other Bio classes but those are not part of the pre-reqs so I am not sure if they count. I have also not taken the MCAT but will be taking my first one and hopefully the last one in April. Should I wait a year to apply to improve my stats or just go ahead and apply with next years cycle and hope for the best? I can handle any criticism. Thanks

SN: I am a Biology/Pre-med major with a Political Science Minor
The BCPM GPA includes all college math and science grades. See this to help you calculate it: AMCAS GPA calculator (also calc BCPM): http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=590424

I would mention the HS shadowing in the Personal Statement as part of the background for "Why Medicine?" Though, you could also include it at the end of your narrative for the more current shadowing experience under the "Other" category.

Without the MCAT score, which is an important component of how competitive you are, it's difficult to recommend if you should apply with your current GPAs. Another aspect to the decision, though, is whether you have a recent upward grade trend with the lower grades having been in the earlier years.

Also, a part of the decision will concern the type of schools you wish to apply to. As you have no research experience, if you apply early this summer, you will be lacking a component that some schools feel is near-essential. The same goes for US-based nonmedical community service that serves those in need in your local area. Waiting an extra year would result in not just a stronger GPA, but also beefier experiences that would make your application attractive to a broader range of med schools.