EC's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beethousand

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have one year of post bacc left (still need to take physics, MCAT, and biochem) and will be taking the MCAT and applying next year.

Just checking in to see how my application is looking. I am a Washington resident, and am open to most schools, but would love to attend UW if I can pull it off.

Cumulative GPA: 3.89
Sci GPA: 3.83
MCAT next year

ECs:

Just got hired for an ED scribe job, will do this for 20 hrs per week for the next 2 years
Mentor underserved high school students in a health classroom (1 yr, 2 hrs weekly)
President Neuroscience Club: one year
Trauma research volunteer (Urban level 1 trauma center) 6-10 hrs per week (will do for 1+ yr). Helping with several multicenter studies in the trauma ICU and ED. Getting tons of exposure. No pubs or presentations, hopefully in the future:)
2000 hrs working as inpatient PT aide, lots of exposure to physicians and inpatient medicine as well as chart reviews and treating pts, taught annual First Responder training.
1000 hrs working as caregiver for individuals with disabilities.
tutoring and mentoring at risk students on a Native American reservation. 6 hrs weekly for 5 months.
Study abroad one semester.
1 yr as Psychology dept student adviser 3 hrs per week.
Worked on farm and cattle ranch for 8 yrs prior to college.

Shadowed Family Practice PA 40 hrs, adult hospitalist: 8 hrs, Primary Care Internist: 12 hrs (1 month, planning to do for several months).

Should I try to do more shadowing? My trauma research and scribing gives me tons of exposure, but I wonder if more primary care shadowing would help. I'd love to do more, but it's tough to find somebody to shadow long term. Also are there any gaps you are seeing in my ECs? I really like rehab and trauma, I'm thinking about volunteering with a head injury prevention program. I anticipate applying to quite a few mid tiers and am open to DO schools but would prefer MD. UW would be fantastic, but I know it's competitive.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The research should be enough. Your EC's are pretty diverse as is. But if you stumble on any other projects it obviously wouldn't hurt.

Any hobbies? artistic endeavors?

[The research should be enough. Your EC's are pretty diverse as is. But if you stumble on any other projects it obviously wouldn't hurt.

Any hobbies? artistic endeavors?

Thanks. Avid skier/snowboarder, some practice hrs towards my private pilots license, hopefully I can finish that someday (my dad's a flight instructor). Grew up riding horses, did team roping and spent alot of time hiking, rafting and camping.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Also enjoy sculpture, playing piano and guitar. (not exactly impressive with any of these though.....:))

Last edited:
If a chance at a peer leadership role comes along, you might look into that. I'd also like to see regular involvement in a cause you care about that helps those in need, though if you're fighting fires every month, that might be covered. If you're doing the one-day events at least monthly, that would also cover the territory (but keep track of the events and hours, and be sure you have a contact who can attest to your involvement).

If a chance at a peer leadership role comes along, you might look into that. I'd also like to see regular involvement in a cause you care about that helps those in need, though if you're fighting fires every month, that might be covered. If you're doing the one-day events at least monthly, that would also cover the territory (but keep track of the events and hours, and be sure you have a contact who can attest to your involvement).

I forgot to add i have been our rehab dept First Responder trainer for 1 yr. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
Your ECs look ok. Research would be good because the vast majority of those applying will have had it. Also, I don't think you should put down things that you did in high school/only did for a day or two.

Your ECs look ok. Research would be good because the vast majority of those applying will have had it. Also, I don't think you should put down things that you did in high school/only did for a day or two.

Thanks, if you look at my first post, I updated it without high school activities or one day activities.

Last edited:
Would love some insights on how I'm looking and any recommendations for what I should do to improve in the next year before I apply. Thanks

This looks pretty good. You still have a year, so keep up with your activities to show long-term commitment. As Catalystik mentioned, a leadership role would be a good idea. I was also thinking you could have more non-medical volunteering - you did some tutoring/mentoring, but it looks like both were pretty short-term.

This looks pretty good. You still have a year, so keep up with your activities to show long-term commitment. As Catalystik mentioned, a leadership role would be a good idea. I was also thinking you could have more non-medical volunteering - you did some tutoring/mentoring, but it looks like both were pretty short-term.

Thanks, what other kinds of leadership were you thinking? I was president of the neuroscience club for one year, but I'm wondering if this wasn't enough. Also would doing community education for head injury prevention be okay as a non medical volunteering?

Thanks, what other kinds of leadership were you thinking? I was president of the neuroscience club for one year, but I'm wondering if this wasn't enough. Also would doing community education for head injury prevention be okay as a non medical volunteering?

You can look for opportunities at your school. Just take an activity further by playing a bigger role in the organization overall. And as for the head injury prevention volunteering, it works, but it still sounds health/medical related. Definitely do it if you're interested/excited about it, it just sounds a lot like your other activities. Not necessarily a bad thing, but just something to think about.

You can look for opportunities at your school. Just take an activity further by playing a bigger role in the organization overall. And as for the head injury prevention volunteering, it works, but it still sounds health/medical related. Definitely do it if you're interested/excited about it, it just sounds a lot like your other activities. Not necessarily a bad thing, but just something to think about.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.