ECU Dental Applying 2011

That is cruel and unusual punishment to make you all wait two more weeks. Nevertheless, in the big scheme of things, I guess two more weeks isn’t that bad; after all, you'll forget all the about the wait when you get the acceptance call. Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

So I've heard that some Jan interviewers received acceptances with in a week or so of their interview. Can anyone confirm? I guess that means that the decisions made at the end of the month will be for fewer spots than I thought :-\

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't write a lot of stuff on here but I thought ya'll would like to know that Dr. Wilson called me the other day to talk about my application and a bunch of other things and she said that the next decision wouldn't be until mid-Feb and that they were even keeping some interview dates open as late as March...

Hope that clarifies some things. Good luck to everyone.

I don't write a lot of stuff on here but I thought ya'll would like to know that Dr. Wilson called me the other day to talk about my application and a bunch of other things and she said that the next decision wouldn't be until mid-Feb and that they were even keeping some interview dates open as late as March...

Hope that clarifies some things. Good luck to everyone.

Interesting, thanks for the update.

I had called and talking with Chris a week or so ago, and he left me with the impression that the adcom was meeting soon and we would be hearing soon after that (similar to the info from the post above). Anyways, if you talked with the dean, she would know. Seems like if they are waiting until mid-feb that is close to the time that people should be hearing back from UNC on 2nd round acceptances also.

Anyone else hear anything?

Just received my ECU interview invite! Really excited as ECU's my top choice.

Just received my ECU interview invite! Really excited as ECU's my top choice.

Congrats! When is it? I was under the impression (based on a post several pages back) that ECU wasn't offering any more interviews. Hope it goes well for you, the faculty and administration were super nice!:thumbup:

I'll be interviewing on Feb 16. I just spoke with Chris and he said they'll be interviewing until the last week of Feb. I suppose better late than never.

ECU officially announced the fourth community dental center will be in Lillington which is in Harnett County. The other three are located in Elizabeth City, Ahoskie and Sylva. Six more are to be announced. I've heard rumblings about Davidson County, but who knows.

Official ECU announcement

WITN

ECU officially announced the fourth community dental center will be in Lillington which is in Harnett County. The other three are located in Elizabeth City, Ahoskie and Sylva. Six more are to be announced. I've heard rumblings about Davidson County, but who knows.

Official ECU announcement

WITN

Interesting, I wonder when the other announcements will happen, but I guess they still have a couple years to get the centers built before the first class would start.

So does everyone think this will be the week? Post any info that you receive/hear!

So does everyone think this will be the week? Post any info that you receive/hear!

I don't have a lot of hope of hearing anytime soon, at least not for me. Last I heard from Dr. Wilson, I was told I wouldn't hear anything until mid-Feb at the earliest. I can't imagine they'd wait that long to hand out more of their seats to some of you guys though, so I'm assuming that just pertains to my app (which honestly is somewhat weak given my terrible sci-gpa). I get the feeling the door is slowly closing on me for this year, but that's alright, I'll give it another run next cycle.

On a brighter note, I don't know if everyone has been checking the status of the construction, but that hole in the ground is finally turning into a building! Pretty neat to watch it go up!

http://150.216.217.162/en/JViewer.html

Best of luck to everyone...

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have a lot of hope of hearing anytime soon, at least not for me. Last I heard from Dr. Wilson, I was told I wouldn't hear anything until mid-Feb at the earliest. I can't imagine they'd wait that long to hand out more of their seats to some of you guys though, so I'm assuming that just pertains to my app (which honestly is somewhat weak given my terrible sci-gpa). I get the feeling the door is slowly closing on me for this year, but that's alright, I'll give it another run next cycle.

On a brighter note, I don't know if everyone has been checking the status of the construction, but that hole in the ground is finally turning into a building! Pretty neat to watch it go up!

http://150.216.217.162/en/JViewer.html

Best of luck to everyone...

You are at least the second person to hear about being notified in mid Feb. I had called a couple weeks ago, Chris made it sound like the adcoms were meeting and would notify people relatively soon, which is also what someone else had posted. Who really knows? What's a little more waiting? :laugh:

Interesting, I wonder when the other announcements will happen, but I guess they still have a couple years to get the centers built before the first class would start.

Well y'all start this fall. So you have until fall '14 until they all need to be up and running. I think it is better to spread out the announcements. So you get a nice dedicated article in a bunch of different newspapers. It keeps it fresh

I've stopped trying to figure out when ECU is going to hand out next round acceptances, because it seems like everyone you talk to has a different date or story. I think a lot of what ECU does as far as filling their seats is concerned will depend on how many people get accepted to UNC that already have an acceptance to ECU and of those how many will go to UNC over ECU and open up seats. Being a new school they have alot to figure out and variables to deal with... but we have all waited this long what is a little longer. Just my 2 cents.

I've stopped trying to figure out when ECU is going to hand out next round acceptances, because it seems like everyone you talk to has a different date or story. I think a lot of what ECU does as far as filling their seats is concerned will depend on how many people get accepted to UNC that already have an acceptance to ECU and of those how many will go to UNC over ECU and open up seats. Being a new school they have alot to figure out and variables to deal with... but we have all waited this long what is a little longer. Just my 2 cents.

Sounds like a real possibility...

Hurry up and wait.

Anybody else's heart sink when they saw an email from "ECU Admission Dental" and then realized it was just the accreditation announcement? Ergh...congrats to the staff there, as I know they've worked their tails off, but ergh to this whole process.

Here's to more waiting!!!......:smack:

hahaha

i freakin did.

then i started cursing the email. lol

Any news/updates/rumors?

Is the consensus that next week will be "the week"?

I have an interview next Wednesday at ECU and supposedly it's the 2nd to the last week of interviews. Chris said the ad com would be meeting on the 24th I believe. I doubt they would meet next week, and then meet again on the 24th but that's just speculation. Perhaps the 24th might be the last Ad Com meeting and all decisions will be made.

I have an interview next Wednesday at ECU and supposedly it's the 2nd to the last week of interviews. Chris said the ad com would be meeting on the 24th I believe. I doubt they would meet next week, and then meet again on the 24th but that's just speculation. Perhaps the 24th might be the last Ad Com meeting and all decisions will be made.

I believe a number of us have heard the admissions committe met last week and to expect to hear back around the middle of February. It's possible that acceptances may go out this week or next and then final decisions made at the end of the month.

I believe a number of us have heard the admissions committe met last week and to expect to hear back around the middle of February. It's possible that acceptances may go out this week or next and then final decisions made at the end of the month.

I hope this is correct, and I think that it would make sense that they would be meeting at the end of the month to decide on the last couple seats that are available. I say this purely for selfish reasons, as I am tired of waiting. :laugh:

Last edited:

Good luck at your interview!

Do you mind me asking where you heard this from? I'm not trying to be nosy, I'm just dying to hear anything one way or the other and it'd be nice to have an idea of when the next round may hear from them.

Join the facebook group if you're going to ECU next year! I want to know my future classmates. Search ECU Dental School Class of 2015

I hope this is correct, and I think that it would make sense that they would be meeting at the end of the month to decide on the last couple seats that are available. I say this purely for selfish reasons, as I am tired of waiting. :laugh:

When I spoke with Dr. Wilson, she informed me that they are accepting applicants on a "rolling" basis with no set date as to when a specific meeting might be or anything of that nature. I'm just looking towards the next application cycle and trying to keep my head up. This will be my third time applying...I guess that's what I get for being "non-traditional." Oh well...life is all about the journey...not the destination right? haha. Good luck to everyone!

When I spoke with Dr. Wilson, she informed me that they are accepting applicants on a "rolling" basis with no set date as to when a specific meeting might be or anything of that nature. I'm just looking towards the next application cycle and trying to keep my head up. This will be my third time applying...I guess that's what I get for being "non-traditional." Oh well...life is all about the journey...not the destination right? haha. Good luck to everyone!

Well, that is unfortunate (in my opinion). I guess it is time to start working on Plan B, and if I get a call, great. Good luck to you and everyone else that is still hanging on!

Hey everyone! Well I attended the even "you're profession starts here" and it was really informative and i just want to let yall know that ECU is going to be an amazing dental school (ahead of lots of others in learning style/technology) no matter which class you enter as!!

As far as admissions - do NOT quote me - but I did talk to Dr. Wilson today (she's awesome!) and she says that the class is NOT full and that they are still admitting people. She did not give me specifics, but she said that there were those accepted on Dec 1 and that there were acceptances given out after that. She said that there are interviews next week and then made it seem like after that, the decisions will be made! So rolling... or at once at the end of Feb... who knows?? Hope this helps a little?? Keep the faith strong!

Alsooooo just some stats! Dr. Wilson said that there were around 390 applicants and they interviewed around 250... for 50 seats... that is incredibly competitive. We were discussing how hard that decision is to make so please don't get discouraged. Try again! trust me, ECU is worth it!!

sneil, I am curious how many people went to the event today? Because we had about 25 or 30 at the event in December, so that will give people an idea of how many acceptances were given out.

not many probably 10 or so. There were definitely some people there that were not sure if ECU was their top choice i.e. they were accepted into UNC and other schools as well.

jon, are you going to ECU??

andd... you also have to take into account that people might have withdrawn that went to the session in Dec.

Not quite sure yet, I paid deposits to ecu as well as maryland. I am going to Maryland in a couple of weeks to check some things out, after that I am going to ecu, then I can hopefully make my decision. If I had the choice between Ecu and UNC like some of the people have, I would honestly go with ECU. Unless you know you want to do research or are 100 percent sure you are going to specialize, I believe ECU will better prepare us as general dentists.

Yea! After going to that session, I choose ECU over Carolina... but I don't know about Maryland. The only thing I got to say is In-State tuition and a kick-ass class at ECU :)

Alsooooo just some stats! Dr. Wilson said that there were around 390 applicants and they interviewed around 250... for 50 seats... that is incredibly competitive. We were discussing how hard that decision is to make so please don't get discouraged. Try again! trust me, ECU is worth it!!

That is a lot more applications that I thought there would be...I'm surprised that they interviewed so many, I think UNC interviews about the same number for almost 2x the spots.

i was also at the Feb 10th seminar, and can confirm the numbers sneil is putting up. seemed much smaller than the Dec event, although i would say closer to about 15 students. while i just found out unc doesn't want me and i will definitely be going to ecu this fall, almost every other student i met was still deciding between ecu and at least another school.

I also spoke with Dr. Wilson, Lamont, Chris, as well as a couple of the other faculty members, and everyone indicated there were still 2-3 more interview dates remaining, but it seemed that a final answer by the end of the month is in fact imminent

I also spoke with Dr. Wilson, Lamont, Chris, as well as a couple of the other faculty members, and everyone indicated there were still 2-3 more interview dates remaining, but it seemed that a final answer by the end of the month is in fact imminent

I hope this is accurate, it would be nice to have 'closure' :laugh:

i was also at the Feb 10th seminar, and can confirm the numbers sneil is putting up. seemed much smaller than the Dec event, although i would say closer to about 15 students. while i just found out unc doesn't want me and i will definitely be going to ecu this fall, almost every other student i met was still deciding between ecu and at least another school.

Sorry to hear about UNC but ECU will be great! Join the facebook group - we'd love to meet you... ECU SoDM Class of 2015 (the name changed!! Chris Chappell and I are admin's and will add you. Click "Invite to Join" if you are attending ECU next year)

Last edited:
So has anyone heard of anyone getting rejected from ECU so far this cycle? Its unfortunate that predents.com doesn't have a page for ECU yet. Curious if they have started notifying people yet.

So has anyone heard of anyone getting rejected from ECU so far this cycle? Its unfortunate that predents.com doesn't have a page for ECU yet. Curious if they have started notifying people yet.

I wouldn't think that they would reject anyone before the entire class is full.

Maybe not?

Got the email around 4:40. Denied.

Got the email around 4:40. Denied.

I'm sorry to hear that NRG. If you don't mind me asking, did your aadsas status change also? When did you interview? Thanks

Yeah. It's a bummer. Denied from
Ecu and UNC. Looks like another year in Raleigh. Lol. I'll make the best of it.

I interviewed nov 5th at Ecu. And aadsas hasn't changed.

Just got the status update email from ECU. They asked me verify my continued interest in the ECU School of Dental Medicine in order to remain active. The deadline is on Friday, February 18.

Received the denial e-mail this afternoon as well. AADSAS remains unchanged.

I also received the interested email that iwannabeadentist received.

I received the same email asking me to respond if I was still interested in ECU SoDM. It said that the class was not full and they were not at the point of establishing a pool of alternates.

I'm hoping this is good news...any thoughts?

Hank, sorry to hear that, you seem like a solid candidate, but you did get into Pit so I wouldn't worry about it.