ECU wins the secondary contest!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sweet Tea

Girl Next Door
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys--

Just got my ECU secondary in the mail today, and I have to say that ECU takes the cake in the "most god-awful secondary essay" category. Here's the question...

"A handwritten composition of 300-500 words which reflects your reasons for desiring to study medicine, your future professional aspirations, avocational areas of interest, and your major reaction to contemporary life experiences during the last several years"

A) what do they have agains typed essays? is this just a way of weeding out people with poor penmenship?

B) what's the difference btw "professional aspirations" and "avocational interests"-- to me it's all tied together with my desire to study medicine.

C) 500 words for all that AND my reaction to contemporary life? WTH??

I bet all you non-NC people are soooo jealous of all the ECU applicants! I promise I'm not looking for help with this beast of an essay, I just wanted to vent. :laugh: And now that I feel better, I'm going to try to tackle part of this monster. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

man! that does suck!
you know they must run some handwriting analysis on you.
that's amazing!

the question sounds too airy smart. i wish they'd just ask you point blank what they want answered. but maybe that's part of it-- seeing how you interpret tough questions and respond?

Originally posted by laviddee
i wish they'd just ask you point blank what they want answered. but maybe that's part of it-- seeing how you interpret tough questions and respond?

i hate it when someone ruins a perfectly good rant/vent with a logical response. siiiiiiiigh :rolleyes: ;)

it's still a stupid question.

Members don't see this ad :)
an avocation is like the opposite of a profession, what you do in your time away from your job...

Just type the essay out, print it, then carefully handwrite the essay on really nice paper. Use this as an opportunity to show off your beautiful handwriting!

all i can say is BOO ECU!!!!!

handwritten? yegods! they are going to cut out anyone illegible...unless they want docs with bad handwriting :)

perhaps that is the worst secondary. Glad I'm not applying to ECU.

Originally posted by oldman
how about this, just get into Duke, UNC, or Wake and laugh at ECU!

siiiigh-- i'm praying to be one of the 70 accepted to ECU, not that i'd mind getting into unc or wake. i could get used to greenville.

now the next (anal retentive) question is... whether or not to use unlined paper to handwrite my essay. :laugh:

:pity: