Edinburgh or NCSU (if taken off the waitlist)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kawaiimaouhamu

Reaction score
Hey, everyone! I recently found out about this forum and would love to hear pros and cons of Edinburgh and NCSU. I was accepted into Edinburgh but waitlisted for NCSU. Unfortunately, I was not accepted into my IS school (Texas A&M) where I did my undergrad, so I have to go OOS anyways unless I take a gap year. Because of COVID-19, I have to make a decision strictly by research. I do understand that cost-wise, it is cheaper to go to NCSU but the city gives me College-Station-Part-2 vibes so please prove me wrong! On the other hand, I have had little exposure to traveling (have only been to California to visit family and Costa Rica for a study abroad) so Edinburgh sounds like an exhilarating experience but I am not sure if the experience is worth the extra thousands of dollars of loans. I would like to hear about the student experiences, demographics, student-professor interactions, teaching style, clubs and organizations, and other things that I can't find by research! If this little bit of information helps, I am interested in exotics/wildlife medicine! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, everyone! I recently found out about this forum and would love to hear pros and cons of Edinburgh and NCSU. I was accepted into Edinburgh but waitlisted for NCSU. Unfortunately, I was not accepted into my IS school (Texas A&M) where I did my undergrad, so I have to go OOS anyways unless I take a gap year. Because of COVID-19, I have to make a decision strictly by research. I do understand that cost-wise, it is cheaper to go to NCSU but the city gives me College-Station-Part-2 vibes so please prove me wrong! On the other hand, I have had little exposure to traveling (have only been to California to visit family and Costa Rica for a study abroad) so Edinburgh sounds like an exhilarating experience but I am not sure if the experience is worth the extra thousands of dollars of loans. I would like to hear about the student experiences, demographics, student-professor interactions, teaching style, clubs and organizations, and other things that I can't find by research! If this little bit of information helps, I am interested in exotics/wildlife medicine! Thank you!

Hi OP. The following reply is copied/pasted from a different thread, but the information is equally as relevant to your post. NCSU has an excellent exotics/wildlife program. Please PM me to learn more. Good luck!

I'm a 2018 grad reppin' NCSU in your thread. I attended NCSU as an OOS student and had a fantastic experience. I'll break down my comments into 2 categories: the CVM and the area of Raleigh, NC.

The NCSU CVM (top 4 qualities):
1) Faculty: As a general rule, the faculty are highly invested in your success from the moment you step on campus. I struggled significantly with anatomy in my first semester, and was consistently supported as I adjusted my study techiques and learned how best to approach the CVM's curriuclum. NCSU has every type of specialty under the sun- interested in Equine Therio? Aquatic Animal Med? Lab Animal? Public Health (the Eastern states USDA headquarters is located directly on the NCSU main campus), etc. There are faculty who can help you map out your career and get you where you want to be. NCSU's faculty made all the difference between my success and failure in vet school, and I'll be eternally grateful to them. In my opinion, NCSU's #1 selling point. As an aside, NCSU has also invested heavily in ancillary services to help you succeed throughout your life and career as a DVM -> a Certified Financial Planner, Career Services Professional, and Licensed Psychologist are full-time staff members devoted solely to vet students.
2) Innovation: NCSU is on the forefront of veterinary education. This is a pride-point of the current Dean, and the CVM's leadership team is constantly pushing the faculty to innovate on behalf of students. Sim-labs, the House System, improvements to online curriculum delivery, changes in clinical performance evaluation, improvement of diversity recruiting/representation- these are all things you'll hear about as an NCSU CVM student.
3) Student body: NCSU does an excellend job in recruiting diverse classes, with respect to race, gender identity, interest area, and background. Although class personality differs between the years, my class was great. We got a long well, and were 'serious' but not 'competitive.' Backstabbing would never be tolerated, and you'll find your colleagues supportive of you 1) as a person and 2) as a DVM.
4) Facilities: At the time it was built, NCSU's Terry Ceter (SA hospital) was at the vanguard of teaching hospital design. Every SA specialty is represented- Want to complete a roation in rad onc and see the LINAC at work? Want to see vascular procedures conducted under fluoroscopy in one of multiple ORs? Want to complete a neuro rotation and see the new 3T MRI at work? All of these options are available to you. Many of my classmates held paying jobs in the teaching hospital as surgery/treatment techs throughout their education (you'd see these things earlier, in that case). More of a LA person? Is telemetered equine endoscopy your thing? How about colic/ortho surgery? Are you all about the babies (foals/calves/etc)? These specialties and the facilities to handle them are all at your fingertips. If you can dream it, you can do it. NCSU can get you there.

Greater Raleigh (where you'll live; Top 4 qualities):
1) Cost of Living: I've lived all over the United States (all major regions). Although I wouldn't classify Raleigh's price point as 'cheap' it's certainly not expensive (in comparison to a place like SoCal, Boston, or Chicago). There is plenty of affordable housing. CVM students live in all kinds of arrangements- single in an apartment, with friends in apartments, with friends in a rented house, etc.
2) The Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill): Lots of fun places to eat, drink, and hang out downtown. Durham and Chapel Hill have a host of offerings if you'd like to travel further afield. Everyone is intersted in different things. I'd be willing to bet that at least one of your intererests is represented in the general region. Also, for clinical rotations, they're no shortage of opportunities to learn/grow off campus when the time comes.
3) Weather: Raleigh is a true four season climate. Winters are mild (you'll get the occasional snow/ice storm, but nothing crazy. The CVM may close in those instances). Summers are warm, humid, and tolerable. NC has an abundance of outdoor beauty and recreational opportunities. Be sure to take advantage of these, particularly during the warmer months.
4) Travel: RDU airport is located about 20 minutes from the CVM. An Amtrak regional strain station is about the same distance. Interstates generally move at a good pace, and traffic is reasonable. This is an easy area from which to commute into and out of the state.

Hope this is helpful. I'm a proud alumnus of the school, and am very grateful for the eduation I received there. I'm working the job of my dreams, and have NCSU to thank for that. No regrets! Send me a PM if you have any additional questions. Good luck with your decision. All accredited schools are excellent, and will turn you into a top-flight practitioner. Best of success!

Reactions: 2 users