Jul 21, 2009
Sioux Falls, SD
Status
Medical Student
Hey guys-

I'm trying, for obvious reasons, to keep stuff from high school off my application, BUT I was the sports editor for my high school newspaper, and I actually was awarded with the best sports column in the state of South Dakota (an amazing feat, I'm aware). Since my VR score on the MCAT wasn't the greatest, I was thinking this would be a good addition to the EC's on my application. What do you guys think? Do you think the people who read the applications care about high school activities? Thanks, everyone!

Dave

BlueElmo

10+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I still wouldn't put something from high school on your app. Maybe mention in secondary but not on AMCAS.

FuturaDocta

Pop_Princess_MD
10+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
Off the charts
Status
You should only mention that you did something from high school if you continued the activity in college. Otherwise, you would just be adding irrelevant information, according to the adcoms.

Schemp

drawing infinity
10+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2008
Seattle
Status
Pre-Medical
I wasn't aware that we shouldn't put things from high school on our list of ECs. Good thing I didn't do anything while in high school, including graduate, so I have nothing to worry about!

Mattabet

Doctor Thunder
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2008
Somewhere in SE Wisconsin
Status
Medical Student
Hah. I agree with the above, high school is generally considered to be off-limits. The one workaround I might suggest is that you mention your award in conjunction with other awards (were you given any journalism awards or anything related in college?). Then I think it'd be permissible to list it within that entry to show the progression.

Ie: Journalism Awards - best sports column in SD, 2005, assistant editor school paper, 2006, Pulitzer Prize, 2008