EDIVET: Do you have what it takes to be a veterinarian?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lhmhtd

℅ something somewhere eventually
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I follow the APVMA page on Facebook and this popped up on my feed- thought I'd share in case anyone is interested :)

https://www.coursera.org/course/edivet

Members don't see this ad.

I would also remember that the UK schools are 5 years (except the accelerated options) and that the first year is a lot of gen bio, etc

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it sounds like a great exposure to what happens in vet med. It sounds like you get a smattering of what the clinical skills training would be like, the book learning, the industry itself .....

Obviously you can't really give people a good idea of what the LOAD is like (i.e. the stress, the time investment, etc.). But it sounds like they've put together a good mini series of lectures to give people a taste of the material/content.

Reactions: 1 users
I would also remember that the UK schools are 5 years (except the accelerated options) and that the first year is a lot of gen bio, etc

Actually the 1st year of the 5 year program will cover all of anatomy, virology, bacteriology, parasitology, embryology, and immunology in addition to the basic sciences. As well as going over the husbandry of all animals, which is nice for those who have never worked with farm animals or exotics. That is all I remember off the top of my head but I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it sounds like a great exposure to what happens in vet med. It sounds like you get a smattering of what the clinical skills training would be like, the book learning, the industry itself .....

Obviously you can't really give people a good idea of what the LOAD is like (i.e. the stress, the time investment, etc.). But it sounds like they've put together a good mini series of lectures to give people a taste of the material/content.

I am going to agree with LIS. Obviously you can never make someone understand the work load and stress that comes with vet school until they are actually in vet school, but this at least gives exposure to the exact lectures you will be hearing with the exact professors who teach them at the school. You get to see what the clinical skills are and what the professional skills are. (Edinburgh has a course every year called clinical and professional skills in which you have labs that you have to attend.. they cover things such as drawing blood, bandaging, intubating, dental cleaning, and communication with clients). I think it is at least a good insight into what you will be dealing with and what the lectures will be like.

I am going to make it a trifecta of grumpy agreeing.

The course is supposed to give you a taste of the things involved in being a vet student/vet, not to make you feel the soul crushing void that is vet school/1st year.

Reactions: 2 users
OMG I love you for posting this. I've been dying of boredom since I graduated and have nothing to study for until vet school starts. I signed up for this and some other vet and non-vetmed classes that sounded interesting. :D

OMG I love you for posting this. I've been dying of boredom since I graduated and have nothing to study for until vet school starts. I signed up for this and some other vet and non-vetmed classes that sounded interesting. :D
EQUINE NUTRITION FTW

Ugh.

I'm sure you're a wonderful person and all, but ugh.

Ugh.

I don't think it's fair to pass judgement here. I understand the whole "You should be relaxing before vet school" bit of advice, but what's wrong with taking a course that gives you a better view of what you're getting yourself into?

If the material interests you, there is nothing wrong with wanting to learn it. After all, part of being a veterinarian is being a life-long learner, right? I've actually been enrolled in this course for a few weeks, along with several others. I'm especially looking forward to the equine nutrition one, if that wasn't obvious haha. This website is pretty awesome. I'm also waiting for the human nutrition and horse course to open up in the future. Pretty exciting that the courses I either really, REALLY loved in undergrad or couldn't fit into my schedule can be tapped into through this website.

I don't think it's fair to pass judgement here. I understand the whole "You should be relaxing before vet school" bit of advice, but what's wrong with taking a course that gives you a better view of what you're getting yourself into?

If the material interests you, there is nothing wrong with wanting to learn it. After all, part of being a veterinarian is being a life-long learner, right? I've actually been enrolled in this course for a few weeks, along with several others. I'm especially looking forward to the equine nutrition one, if that wasn't obvious haha. This website is pretty awesome. I'm also waiting for the human nutrition and horse course to open up in the future. Pretty exciting that the courses I either really, REALLY loved in undergrad or couldn't fit into my schedule can be tapped into through this website.
because you will be SOOOOOO burnt out on the subject if/when you get into vet school. She isn't judging him but I'm sure she feels distaste for the subject.

I don't get why pre-vets think that they should do everything vet med related all the time ever and when anyone ever says anything contrary, it's like they are raining on your parade.

Members don't see this ad :)
because you will be SOOOOOO burnt out on the subject if/when you get into vet school. She isn't judging him but I'm sure she feels distaste for the subject.

I don't get why pre-vets think that they should do everything vet med related all the time ever and when anyone ever says anything contrary, it's like they are raining on your parade.
IDK, I almost signed up for the course just out of curiosity.
FWIW, I think it is more geared for HSers or underclassmen thinking about the future than someone about to enter in the fall...but I could be wrong.

I'm taking the vet course, equine nutrition, and animal welfare. Simply because this is the first "semester" I won't be studying (graduation and all...), and I'm not sure how to cope without having something outside of work to do besides tumblr and imgur.

I don't think TT was "passing judgment".... It will probably make more sense to you when you're a third or fourth year student. Just the way it is. And I don't think there's anything "wrong" with it.

But it made me sigh just like I think it made TT sigh.

Last edited:

I don't think TT was "passing judgment".... It will probably make more sense to you when you're a third or fourth year student. Just the way it is. And I don't think there's anything "wrong" with it.

Jaaaaah. It was an ugh deep from the pit of my tired old soul. Lol.

And it was somewhat sarcastic as well, for what that's worth.

Oh, enjoy it if you're excited about it. Just make sure you sleep a lot in the next few months.

Reactions: 2 users
IDK, I almost signed up for the course just out of curiosity.
FWIW, I think it is more geared for HSers or underclassmen thinking about the future than someone about to enter in the fall...but I could be wrong.

It is. Geared towards students that would be going to edinburgh for the 5 year program of which the vast majority go into vet school straight out of high school.

In all honesty, I think even first semester year one can bring that on...

In all honesty, I think even first semester year one can bring that on...

Just wait. Give it another year or two and your creepiness will take on a horribly cynical edge to it.
whip.gif

I have honestly been basking in the glory that is the one year gap between undergrad and vet school. In my off time I spend my hours catching up on my leisure reading, hanging out with friends and fiance. I take online classes from time to time if my boss (a veterinarian) recommends them, but other than that I've just been developing hobbies and enjoyed myself while working full time.

Last summer I took 4/5 weeks of this course, and what I learned was quite interesting, though I was already exposed to most of the anatomy/physiology (and I was familiar with a bit of the other subjects as well) in undergrad courses.

In my opinion, for anyone who would like a very brief taste into some anatomy/basic handling/physiology/welfare/professional skills of veterinary medicine, this could be a fun and educational course for you. :) For anyone who is looking for something to get them into the intense rigors of vet school, I'm afraid you will not find it here.

Just wait. Give it another year or two and your creepiness will take on a horribly cynical edge to it.
whip.gif
Bahahaha! You are talking to someone who has committed 7 plus years to this and is only 1.5 years through. You might not want to see/hear me in another few. :penguin:

I can think of 3468855325785 things to do other than study. I've never quite understood the I'm bored because I have nothing to study. I'm actually counting down the days until I don't have to cram vast amounts of info into my brain.

just remember. You are potentially going to vet school then working as a vet for the rest of your life. Don't be in such a hurry to commit yourself to extra vet stuff.

Jaaaaah. It was an ugh deep from the pit of my tired old soul. Lol.

And it was somewhat sarcastic as well, for what that's worth.

Oh, enjoy it if you're excited about it. Just make sure you sleep a lot in the next few months.
Well, the point of these classes is that they are loosely structured and you take them at your own pace. At least some of them.
I'm very very sorry. Let me know when you gouge your eyes out and your brain has fallen out your ears. Also tell me how you feel about sugar beet once the course ends.
I'll be sure to do that.

Refer to my earlier post when I said I wasn't able to fit in some of my 'interest' classes into my undergrad years, so am excited to take a leisurely course for free in the subject matter. Not all pre-vets are doing these things just because they are running towards that light at the end of the tunnel. For me, nutrition is a personal interest of mine and will likely be something I pursue through further education should vet med never work out for me.

Well, the point of these classes is that they are loosely structured and you take them at your own pace. At least some of them.

I'll be sure to do that.

Refer to my earlier post when I said I wasn't able to fit in some of my 'interest' classes into my undergrad years, so am excited to take a leisurely course for free in the subject matter. Not all pre-vets are doing these things just because they are running towards that light at the end of the tunnel. For me, nutrition is a personal interest of mine and will likely be something I pursue through further education should vet med never work out for me.

I said that because that particular nutrition course is insanely boring. Even people I know that love nutrition hated every second of that course. I'm not saying it is bad you are interested in nutrition, good for you, but it still remains that course is really boring.

nobody said that was why. Just that you will get plenty of it later (vet courses, not human).

Ugh.

Yes I know. I still have my job, still play with my community orchestra, and have watched just about every movie that I haven't had time to watch for the past year. However, the application process is stressful and when I'm stressed I need to keep busy. Seeing as how I can't physically handle playing cello all day and binge watching movies gets old, this is a fun way to keep my mind sharp while learning something new for fun (I was a bio major and my school didn't offer any animal science or nutrition courses). I'm not gonna be hitting the books until vet school; I just want another way to keep busy to keep myself from refreshing SDN every 5 seconds. By the way, did you miss the part of my post where I mentioned that I'm also taking non-vet related courses? Is it the vet course that bugged you or the fact that not everyone finds learning as appalling as you do?

At this point, it's the idea that anyone is enjoying anything.

... lol

Just five more months! I'll try and put my cane away in the meantime.

I think you guys are misinterpreting my post. I have no plans on obsessing over vet med courses until vet school. Like I mentioned above, I also like to play music and still have a job on top of my volunteering work with my orchestra. How is taking a few super short introductory courses on something I've never learned about considered doing everything vet med related. Heck, I even stopped working as a vet tech to enjoy my last season with the orchestra before I have to move. You're interpreting my need to keep busy with what you say is an obsession for "doing everything vet med."

Let's withhold assuming and judging others over text-based communication before we have a chance to know what the other person is trying to say.

Yes I know. I still have my job, still play with my community orchestra, and have watched just about every movie that I haven't had time to watch for the past year. However, the application process is stressful and when I'm stressed I need to keep busy. Seeing as how I can't physically handle playing cello all day and binge watching movies gets old, this is a fun way to keep my mind sharp while learning something new for fun (I was a bio major and my school didn't offer any animal science or nutrition courses). I'm not gonna be hitting the books until vet school; I just want another way to keep busy to keep myself from refreshing SDN every 5 seconds. By the way, did you miss the part of my post where I mentioned that I'm also taking non-vet related courses? Is it the vet course that bugged you or the fact that not everyone finds learning as appalling as you do?

Such a condescending, rude response to what was a sarcastic comment that wasn't in any way rude to you at all.

I think you guys are misinterpreting my post. I have no plans on obsessing over vet med courses until vet school. Like I mentioned above, I also like to play music and still have a job on top of my volunteering work with my orchestra. How is taking a few super short introductory courses on something I've never learned about considered doing everything vet med related. Heck, I even stopped working as a vet tech to enjoy my last season with the orchestra before I have to move. You're interpreting my need to keep busy with what you say is an obsession for "doing everything vet med."

Let's withhold assuming and judging others over text-based communication before we have a chance to know what the other person is trying to say.
I think a lot of people misunderstood TT. No one said YOU were. But she is allowed to have her opinions on taking vet med courses and a lot of people that frequent SDN do everything vet med. My response was to pinkpuppy because there was an immediate backlash that TT was judging you, which I think is incorrect. However, your comment about
Is it the vet course that bugged you or the fact that not everyone finds learning as appalling as you do
is very insulting. Especially to a member of the veterinary community who partakes in higher education.

Really? Am I not allowed to be just as snarky as that message towards me was? If you find it to be rude I'm sorry, but read the message (the ugh one) again. So I should only be snarky if I write the words "I'm sure you're a great person, but"?

I really am sorry if I came off as rude, though @twelvetigers. I promise to not assume you're being rude to me if you promise to not assume I'm a bookworm pre-gunner.

Really? Am I not allowed to be just as snarky as that message towards me was? If you find it to be rude I'm sorry, but read the message (the ugh one) again. So I should only be snarky if I write the words "I'm sure you're a great person, but"?

I really am sorry if I came off as rude, though @twelvetigers. I promise to not assume you're being rude to me if you promise to not assume I'm a bookworm pre-gunner.
why not read what she said again then. It was not directed at you. it was directed at the thought of a pre-vet taking a vet course to pass the time. you pointedly accused her of being against learning.

She's saying " ugh" to the idea of studying the prevet stuff just prior to vet school, not to you as a person. You are being outright rude to her as a person saying that she appalls learning. There is a difference, a big one. She never once assumed you were or called you a pre-gunner, but you did directly attack her and speak to her in a condescending and rude manner.

I have actually noticed a bit of a trend with this year's applicants. They seem very serious and have a hard time understanding the veterans that are in vet school and have been on this forum for a nice chunk of time. No one here worth their salt ever intentionally insults or belittles anyone else. You can tell from a quick glance at someone's profile how long they have been here and how much they post. I would suggest that all of the pre-vet folks not take everything as an attack and look at it as embattled vets trying to impart some wisdom. Sometimes it comes out harsher than we would like, but it is always in an effort to help those who have not traveled this vet school/made it to the other side road in understanding that vet school will mold you into what you need to be. Trying to do all this stuff before you get here is usually such a waste of time and we have been there. I watched the previous years lectures before I started the first semester. Let me tell you I gained nothing from it other than recognizing a professor's voice once I was actually there.

What this boils down to, is pre-vet folk, please relax. It's all good. You will either be here in a short passing of time or not. In the mean time, as horrible as this advice from people who have come before you seems to be, just enjoy yourselves and build on who you are as an individual. I cannot say how many times I keep telling applicants, it is who you are developing yourself to be that is what is most important throughout not only the application process, but in vet school, as a veterinarian, as a human being.

Reactions: 10 users
why not read what she said again then. It was not directed at you. it was directed at the thought of a pre-vet taking a vet course to pass the time. you pointedly accused her of being against learning.
And I have apologized for writing what reads like a rude rebuttal. However, the message was clearly directed at me. It clearly shows that although she's assuming I'm a great person, she finds disgust in what she believes is my spending all of my leisure time studying for vet school. Put yourself in my shoes. Instead of writing her opinion out, she chose to describe my actions in a word that essentially means she's disgusted.

I apologized for my overly-snarky comment. Is that enough or should I also offer a sacrificial cat gif?

When I hear pre-vets wanting to hurry to vet school: (yes, i used to be the same way now i look back and roll my eyes at how naive I was)

And I have apologized for writing what reads like a rude rebuttal. However, the message was clearly directed at me. It clearly shows that although she's assuming I'm a great person, she finds disgust in what she believes is my spending all of my leisure time studying for vet school. Put yourself in my shoes. Instead of writing her opinion out, she chose to describe my actions in a word that essentially means she's disgusted.

I apologized for my overly-snarky comment. Is that a bough or should I also offer a sacrificial cat gif?
This kind of reply only underlines that you don't feel you should have apologized.

Ugh can also mean exasperated. Do you know. How many prevets come here and ask how they should study the summer before vet school? And when we collectively tell users it isn't worth it we get similar replies. Until about 2nd semester. Then everything seems to change.

I'd also read lupins reply as she has summed things up nicely.

I apologized for my overly-snarky comment. Is that enough or should I also offer a sacrificial cat gif?

It's not just you, it is the action. She is one of the many of us vet students that have that same response to anyone who mentions studying vet related things before school even just for "fun". Her comment is the same comment she has made many years in these same scenarios not just to you, clearly.

This kind of reply only underlines that you don't feel you should have apologized.

Ugh can also mean exasperated. Do you know. How many prevets come here and ask how they should study the summer before vet school? And when we collectively tell users it isn't worth it we get similar replies. Until about 2nd semester. Then everything seems to change.

I'd also read lupins reply as she has summed things up nicely.
There we go again. You're reading into whatever I write and making assumptions. If I feel I didn't have to apologize, I wouldn't have. Please stop making assumptions about what I'm writing. That's what led to my defending myself in a rude way in the first place. Yes it was wrong, but you're all suddenly making unfounded assumptions about me when all I'm guilty of is registering for some casual courses - some of which are animal related - to pass time.

You're all craving having nothing to do because you're in school and I'm here bored to death whenever I'm not working or playing music because for the first time in decades I'm not in school. We have contrasting outlooks and opinions right now because we are in contrasting situations. I already apologized (sincerely, contrary to any assumptions) so can we please let it go?

There we go again. You're reading into whatever I write and make assumptions. If I feel I didn't have to apologize, I wouldn't have. Please stop making assumptions about what I'm writing. That's what led to my defending myself in a rude way in the first place. Yes it was wrong, but you're all suddenly making unfounded assumptions about me and calling me rude when all I'm guilty of is registering for some casual courses - some of which are animal related - to pass time. You're all craving having nothing to do because you're in school and I'm here bored to death whenever I'm not working or playing music because for the first time in decades I'm not in school. We have contrasting outlooks and opinions right now because we are in contrasting situations. I already apologized (sincerely, contrary to any assumptions) so can we please let it go?
I didn't call you rude. I said initially it was insulting.

I'm also not in school anymore.

I'm not the one making assumptions.

Here are some unasked for pointers that I have found useful (and these are not directed at you specifically):
Assume positive intent. Most people (here and in the real world) don't do things to be deliberately hurtful. If you can't assume positive intent, at least don't assume negative intent

When you apologize, it shouldn't have a but. That's an excuse. It took me a while to learn this one

When you apologize, it shouldn't have a but. That's an excuse. It took me a while to learn this one
I can see how this can be true for you. However, I can be (and am) 100% sincere in apologizing for my defending myself in a rude way and still be able to realize that I was being judged unfairly. We'll just have to disagree on that one for now.

I can see how this can be true for you. However, I can be (and am) 100% sincere in apologizing for my defending myself in a rude way and still be able to realize that I was being judged unfairly. We'll just have to disagree on that one for now.
I guess so. Because I'm really pretty sure she wasn't judging you at all. Based on her previous responses in other threads and knowim her. And what's more, it appears to be playful to me. But that may be bias from talking to TT over the years we've both been on this site.

I guess so. Because I'm really pretty sure she wasn't judging you at all. Based on her previous responses in other threads and knowim her. And what's more, it appears to be playful to me. But that may be bias from talking to TT over the years we've both been on this site.

That goes exactly with what I'm trying to say. You know she's being sarcastic because you know her, but I don't so I found the comment rude and as being directed at me personally, which led to my overly-defensive response. In the same way, she doesn't know me and assumed that I was using up all my free time to study for vet school ahead of time. I apologized and you come in assuming that I'm not really apologizing.

I guess assuming does make an ass out of us all.

That goes exactly with what I'm trying to say. You know she's being sarcastic because you know her, but I don't so I found the comment rude and as being directed at me personally, which led to my overly-defensive response. In the same way, she doesn't know me and assumed that I was using up all my free time to study for vet school ahead of time. I apologized and you come in assuming that I'm not really apologizing.

I guess assuming does make an ass out of us all.

I have to agree with dyachei, experience tells me that someone who apologizes and immediately follows that with "but" is making an excuse for their behavior and is not truly apologizing.

Reactions: 3 users