Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

EDP dicussion

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MirrorTodd, Mar 4, 2007.

1. MirrorTodd

MirrorTodd It's a gas.
    Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    So, I thought maybe we should compile a little discussion/list of all the things needed to apply EDP. I know little about it, but it might be something for a lot of people to try out, given certain stats etc. Could a low GPAi.e. <3.3, but super high MCAT i.e. >37-39 apply EDP successfully? Could the reverse position be done successfully? It's a dangerous gamble to make and I think having this discussion might help some people with the decision. If the discussion goes well, perhaps we could make it a sticky. Who knows.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MattD

MattD Curmudgeon

Resident [Any Field]
    Schools usually have a particular cut off. I don't think you would want to apply EDP if you JUST met their EDP cut off. Usually a low GPA OR a low MCAT would put you under the cut off, so the compensation factor disappears. Perhaps a constructive use of this thread would be to list such cut offs for individual schools? I'll start with mine:

UAB:
    1.) State residency
    2.) Eligible for a Bachelor's degree by matriculation
    3.) 3.6 GPA or greater
    4.) 10 or better average MCAT section score with no section below 9.

I THINK I remember them telling us during orientation that our class's average was around 3.6/31, but I could be off-base, that was a long time ago. But, I would NEVER have applied EDP with a 3.6/30, or a 3.6/31. I don't know that I wouldn't have gotten in, but I definately wouldn't have been confident about it.

4. MirrorTodd

MirrorTodd It's a gas.
    Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    Good idea. :thumbup:

5. Critical Mass

Medical Student
    I often see that the first requirement is to be a state resident. A lot of places don't publish actual cut-offs even though they make them.

Seems like there was a similar thread about this recently. Here is what I wrote there:

6. DropkickMurphy

Banned

Other Health Professions Student
    Is it bad that when I saw EDP, my first thought was "emotionally disturbed person", not "early decision program"? My second thought was "Yup, pre-allo has more of those than any other forum on SDN (outside of the Lounge)". :smuggrin:

7. MirrorTodd

MirrorTodd It's a gas.
    Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    No, I had to look-up EDP to make sure I had the right acronym.

8. bearkat1

bearkat1 bearkat1

Medical Student
    I successfully applied EDP in state.... First advice for anyone thinking about applying EDP is to talk to that specific school's dean. I talked to the assistant dean of admissions about whether or not I would be competitive or not.... of course I would not have applied had the dean recommended otherwise, but it allowed me to make a confident decision about applying EDP. STRONG EC's and a STRONG interview play huge roles in the EDP because more than likely, individuals applying EDP alreay have greater than a 3.5 and 31 MCAT....