EDP dicussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MirrorTodd

It's a gas.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I thought maybe we should compile a little discussion/list of all the things needed to apply EDP. I know little about it, but it might be something for a lot of people to try out, given certain stats etc. Could a low GPAi.e. <3.3, but super high MCAT i.e. >37-39 apply EDP successfully? Could the reverse position be done successfully? It's a dangerous gamble to make and I think having this discussion might help some people with the decision. If the discussion goes well, perhaps we could make it a sticky. Who knows.

Members don't see this ad.

So, I thought maybe we should compile a little discussion/list of all the things needed to apply EDP. I know little about it, but it might be something for a lot of people to try out, given certain stats etc. Could a low GPAi.e. <3.3, but super high MCAT i.e. >37-39 apply EDP successfully? Could the reverse position be done successfully? It's a dangerous gamble to make and I think having this discussion might help some people with the decision. If the discussion goes well, perhaps we could make it a sticky. Who knows.

Schools usually have a particular cut off. I don't think you would want to apply EDP if you JUST met their EDP cut off. Usually a low GPA OR a low MCAT would put you under the cut off, so the compensation factor disappears. Perhaps a constructive use of this thread would be to list such cut offs for individual schools? I'll start with mine:

UAB:
1.) State residency
2.) Eligible for a Bachelor's degree by matriculation
3.) 3.6 GPA or greater
4.) 10 or better average MCAT section score with no section below 9.

I THINK I remember them telling us during orientation that our class's average was around 3.6/31, but I could be off-base, that was a long time ago. But, I would NEVER have applied EDP with a 3.6/30, or a 3.6/31. I don't know that I wouldn't have gotten in, but I definately wouldn't have been confident about it.

Schools usually have a particular cut off. I don't think you would want to apply EDP if you JUST met their EDP cut off. Usually a low GPA OR a low MCAT would put you under the cut off, so the compensation factor disappears. Perhaps a constructive use of this thread would be to list such cut offs for individual schools? I'll start with mine:

UAB:
1.) State residency
2.) Eligible for a Bachelor's degree by matriculation
3.) 3.6 GPA or greater
4.) 10 or better average MCAT section score with no section below 9.

I THINK I remember them telling us during orientation that our class's average was around 3.6/31, but I could be off-base, that was a long time ago. But, I would NEVER have applied EDP with a 3.6/30, or a 3.6/31. I don't know that I wouldn't have gotten in, but I definately wouldn't have been confident about it.

Good idea. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I often see that the first requirement is to be a state resident. A lot of places don't publish actual cut-offs even though they make them.

Seems like there was a similar thread about this recently. Here is what I wrote there:

You have to be competative to get taken, so if your app is midling, I'd avoid it. It's better to apply broadly in that case. BTW a lot of state schools limit EDP apps to in-staters, though I can't really think of a good reason to apply EDP oos unless your state has an agreement to get you in-state tuition.

The only reason that I can think of for doing it is if you are certain that you really only want to go to one school and feel confident that you will get in. This is usually the case when a given state only has one school.

Often if you are good enough for EDP, however, you are good enough for scholarships elsewhere. Furthermore, there is no incentive for the EDP school to offer you money as a recruiting tool.

The main reason NOT to do EDP is that it will delay your ability to apply broadly EARLY. I don't think anyone here will say that you can apply too soon to medical school.

Looking at your mdapps, I don't recommend EDP for you. Take your time.

Is it bad that when I saw EDP, my first thought was "emotionally disturbed person", not "early decision program"? My second thought was "Yup, pre-allo has more of those than any other forum on SDN (outside of the Lounge)". :smuggrin:

Is it bad that when I saw EDP, my first thought was "emotionally disturbed person", not "early decision program"? My second thought was "Yup, pre-allo has more of those than any other forum on SDN (outside of the Lounge)". :smuggrin:

No, I had to look-up EDP to make sure I had the right acronym.

I successfully applied EDP in state.... First advice for anyone thinking about applying EDP is to talk to that specific school's dean. I talked to the assistant dean of admissions about whether or not I would be competitive or not.... of course I would not have applied had the dean recommended otherwise, but it allowed me to make a confident decision about applying EDP. STRONG EC's and a STRONG interview play huge roles in the EDP because more than likely, individuals applying EDP alreay have greater than a 3.5 and 31 MCAT....