EDP to state school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

estradiol9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.75 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA attending an undergraduate university in which multiple students each year matriculate to the state school I am interested in. MCAT to come in May.

- 1 year research assistant experience, no publications/posters/presentations
- 2.5 years of volunteer emt experience (~2000 hours)
- vice president of ambulance squad
- grant writer (community service? wasnt paid)
- 6 months of scribe experience in local ED (strong LOR from medical director)
- 20 hours shadowing
- 6 months experience as a cpr instructor
- involved in multiple school clubs/organizations, secretary of a club for 2 years, some more community service done as a member of these clubs
- part time non-medical work experience for 3 years
- bunch of academic honor society memberships

oh and <100 students apply edp on average, with up to 20 being accepted.

Members don't see this ad.

3.75 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA attending an undergraduate university in which multiple students each year matriculate to the state school I am interested in. MCAT to come in May.

- 1 year research assistant experience, no publications/posters/presentations
- 2.5 years of volunteer emt experience (~2000 hours)
- vice president of ambulance squad
- grant writer (community service? wasnt paid)
- 6 months of scribe experience in local ED (strong LOR from medical director)
- 20 hours shadowing
- 6 months experience as a cpr instructor
- involved in multiple school clubs/organizations, secretary of a club for 2 years, some more community service done as a member of these clubs
- part time non-medical work experience for 3 years
- bunch of academic honor society memberships

oh and <100 students apply edp on average, with up to 20 being accepted.
What are the acceptee median stats, including MCAT score, for this school?

If you applied and were not accepted EDP, what is your backup plan?
Are you geographically restricted due to family factors in what schools you can attend?

What are the acceptee median stats, including MCAT score, for this school?

If you applied and were not accepted EDP, what is your backup plan?
Are you geographically restricted due to family factors in what schools you can attend?

I think they give decisions fairly early, before the end of the summer, so I would still apply to other schools in the area. The other state school here doesn't have rolling admissions so they would not make any decisions until late December anyway so I don't think I'd be at a disadvantage there if I applied EDP to the first state school, wasn't accepted, and then submitted in the late summer to the second state school. If I still didn't get accepted anywhere, I'd probably do an SMP, retake MCAT and apply again next summer. And yes I am restricted in location - my SO will be working full time here and I don't want to force him to relocate and look for a new job. So I'm restricted to the 3 in state NJ schools, and about 10 schools nearby (Philly, NYC), which happen to be more top heavy.

Stats are 3.6 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 32P mcat @ school of interest

Members don't see this ad :)
EDP decision deadline is like Oct 1st. Your school of interest may give out decisions earlier, but this year could always be that year where they don't.

I really can't see a reason why anyone would apply EDP. Applying on June 1st is almost like an EDP but to as many schools as you want.

OP you seem to be in very good shape numbers-wise pending your MCAT.

EDP decision deadline is like Oct 1st. Your school of interest may give out decisions earlier, but this year could always be that year where they don't.

The above is good general advice, not knowing the NJMS-specific situation. However, if you speak with NJMS admissions regarding EDP, they will tell you they do their best to render a decision within weeks. People interviewed in June last year and got in mid-July. In my experiences with tracking EDP applicants over the last couple years there is no chance they will hold you for an unnecessary amount of time.

I think they give decisions fairly early, before the end of the summer, so I would still apply to other schools in the area. The other state school here doesn't have rolling admissions so they would not make any decisions until late December anyway so I don't think I'd be at a disadvantage there if I applied EDP to the first state school, wasn't accepted, and then submitted in the late summer to the second state school. If I still didn't get accepted anywhere, I'd probably do an SMP, retake MCAT and apply again next summer. And yes I am restricted in location - my SO will be working full time here and I don't want to force him to relocate and look for a new job. So I'm restricted to the 3 in state NJ schools, and about 10 schools nearby (Philly, NYC), which happen to be more top heavy.

Stats are 3.6 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 32P mcat @ school of interest
Considering that you've carefully thought this through and are willing to accept the risks, that many are chosen EDP for this school, that you have geographical restrictions, and provided your MCAT score is strong enough (personally I think it should exceed that of the typical acceptee, but you may have more insight into requirements for sucess based on a phone call), then applying EDP may be a reasonable choice for you.

You do not need an SMP. Don't waste your money.

Considering that you've carefully thought this through and are willing to accept the risks, that many are chosen EDP for this school, that you have geographical restrictions, and provided your MCAT score is strong enough (personally I think it should exceed that of the typical acceptee, but you may have more insight into requirements for sucess based on a phone call), then applying EDP may be a reasonable choice for you.

You do not need an SMP. Don't waste your money.

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely focus all my attention to my MCAT now :thumbup: