EdS apply to PhD/PsyD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zoomie1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I (like several others recently) am interested in School Psych. I'm thinking about starting with an EdS degree so I can get into the career field much sooner than with a doctoral (3-4 years vs 5-7). If I wish to go for the doctoral degree later, will any of the EdS count, or will I still have the full 5-7 years to go?

And another question - the few EdS programs I have looked at have you spending the first 2 years getting your Master's (either in Ed or in Psych) and the last couple of years doing your EdS coursework and internship. Will already having a Master's (MS Continuing Education in Counseling/Psych) be of any advantage when applying to an EdS program? I don't expect it to fulfill the full 2 years, but I'm hoping that I'll get something of a break for it. :)

thanks!
zoomie

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone

I (like several others recently) am interested in School Psych. I'm thinking about starting with an EdS degree so I can get into the career field much sooner than with a doctoral (3-4 years vs 5-7). If I wish to go for the doctoral degree later, will any of the EdS count, or will I still have the full 5-7 years to go?

And another question - the few EdS programs I have looked at have you spending the first 2 years getting your Master's (either in Ed or in Psych) and the last couple of years doing your EdS coursework and internship. Will already having a Master's (MS Continuing Education in Counseling/Psych) be of any advantage when applying to an EdS program? I don't expect it to fulfill the full 2 years, but I'm hoping that I'll get something of a break for it. :)

thanks!
zoomie

There are several students in my program that have decided to continue with their PhD after receiving their EdS, so I know it's a possibility, but it's also a matter of time frame. For example, if you let 10 years pass after getting your EdS, you'd be less likely to have all of that coursework transfer than if you waited 2 or 3 years.

As for the master's degree, that really all depends on what classes you have taken and how your individual program views them. My program awards students with their master's degree after a year of coursework, but we also attend full time over the summer. I know of one student who already had her master's, but still needed to take some classes with the first year students, so my advice would be to ask programs ahead of time how your credits will transfer.

It's probably different from school to school, though my general impression is that many programs are quite reluctant to accept coursed from other programs. If your applying to a doctoral program with a master's from the same program, it's a different story. If your starting a doctoral degree and you have a master's from another program, the outlook is probably not too good. Many Ph.D. programs will essentially say "we want to train you" and will not take your previous graduate level credits. Probably best to check with each program your interested in.

Members don't see this ad :)
For clinical programs, I think the only shot you have is APA doc classes ---> APA doc classes, but short of that, they probably won't like it, especially if it is more than a handfdul of courses.

-t

I appreciate the input given so far...the vibe that I am getting is a definite "maybe, but probably not especially if some time has passed". Does that about sum it up? :)