EDs w/ Efficiency/Technology/Numbers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docflanny

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been particularly impressed with an EM residency program that has great numbers >55K, efficient departments, and up-to-date technology?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by docflanny
Has anyone been particularly impressed with an EM residency program that has great numbers >55K, efficient departments, and up-to-date technology?

Resurrection in Chicago. High acuity (even higher than listed on SAEM b/c "fast track" patients are included there) including lots of fun stuff from O'hare airport, great technology with lots of US, AWESOME department - one of the most efficient I've seen (and I've seen lots!), and trauma rotations at Cook County. Only downside? - No real aeromed program (elective possible as observer) and not an EMS base hospital. Other than that...

- H

MetroHealth - Apparently building hteir new ED now, suppose it should be done soon as it was still being constructed in Jan when I interviewed.

Univ of MD - Brand new ED. I was rotating there when they switched from the old one to the new one. Its awesome.

Albert Einstein in Philly - supposedly builidng a brand new ED< not sure of when it will be built.

USF - we will be finished with construction early 2006, with a brand new ED and Trauma Center.

Q, DO

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by QuinnNSU
MetroHealth - Apparently building hteir new ED now, suppose it should be done soon as it was still being constructed in Jan when I interviewed.

Will be done in March, will be moving in early April. The completion time has always been March as far as I've heard.

mike

So let me get this straight....you're looking for an academic ED that is efficient? Academics is the antithesis of efficiency. I don't think I interviewed at one program last year that had an ED that was more efficient than one of the community EDs I rotated in as a student.

Desperado,

I haven't seen many EDs (3) so far, but I'd have to agree with you from what I've seen. The academic places are larger and have decreased efficiency, not necessarily from increased bedside teaching. Hopefully, though there are some programs, as mentioned above, with both.