Status
Not open for further replies.

Taus

10+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Philly
Status
Attending Physician
Hey all, I am very familiar with most aspects of Osteopathy, but would like some more backround on OMM. As you can tell I haven't started med school yet (I will be attending PCOM in the fall). I'd like to be able to intelligently discuss OMM with people and chiropractics seems to be a good analogy for the lay-man, but I don't want to be way off base. Basically, could someone who's knowledgeable about both practices please elaborate on the main differences and similarities for me? Thanks a lot in advance.

DrDad

DO Stud. '08
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2003
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Visit site
Status

DrDad

DO Stud. '08
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2003
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Visit site
Status
congratulations btw

jkhamlin

Joe Cool Attending
15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2003
Joplin, MO
Status
Attending Physician
Taus said:
Hey all, I am very familiar with most aspects of Osteopathy, but would like some more backround on OMM. As you can tell I haven't started med school yet (I will be attending PCOM in the fall). I'd like to be able to intelligently discuss OMM with people and chiropractics seems to be a good analogy for the lay-man, but I don't want to be way off base. Basically, could someone who's knowledgeable about both practices please elaborate on the main differences and similarities for me? Thanks a lot in advance.
Kind of sad that we have to use the illegitimate offspring of Osteopathy as an analogy for lay people to understand what OMM is. I've had to do it, too. :rolleyes:

indebt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
Status
If I am not wrong OMT treatments are more localized. DO's find a particular somatic dysfunction and treat that particular spot. Like HVLA, DO's treat one rib or tranverse process at a time, while chiropractors treat the general region. From what I have seen of chiropractors their treatment is also limited in techniques. DO seems to be have more muscle/tissue techniques. I also haven't seen DO's use any TENS units, I know many chiropractors use the machine.

medicine1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2004
Status
Differences between DOs and Chiropractors

DOs
-can prescribe medications -
-can go into any medical field
e.g. family practice, surgery, etc.
-look at the importance of the
the musculoskeletal system
in terms of wellness
-look at physiological/
anatomical impediments
http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos074.htm

Chiropractors
-cannot prescribe medications
-look primarily at bone connectivity/alignment
-provide natural, drugless, nonsurgical health treatments
http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos071.htm

frank51

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2003
Visit site
Status
medicine1 said:
Differences between DOs and Chiroprators

DOs
-can prescribe medications -
-can go into any medical field
e.g. family practice, surgery, etc.
-look at the importance of the
the musculoskeletal system
in terms of wellness
-look at physiological/
anatomical impediments
http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos074.htm

Chiropractors
-cannot prescribe medications
-look primarily at bone connectivity/alignment
-provide natural, drugless, nonsurgical health treatments
http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos071.htm
He's not asking about the difference between chiropractors and D.Os, he's asking about the difference between OMM and the techniques used by chiropractors. Why is it that every time someone comments on anything that has to do with D.Os (OMM, COMLEX, etc.) you immidietly feel that they’re trying to put down D.Os, and therefore defend something that does not need defending. Please refrain from doing this, as this creates the illusion that we’re somehow at a disadvantage. The very fact that you compared D.Os to chiropractors produces a negative image, think about it, would you take the time to compare M.Ds to chiropractors.

medicine1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2004
Status
I am simply showing some of the differences between the two professions. Taus wanted to know how to describe DOs, and wanted to know the differences between OMM and Chiropractice manipulation. Taus wanted to explain to lay people that DOs are similar/analogous to Chiropractors.
I have to agree with indebt. I also feel like I did state how OMM and chiropractice treatments can be different. Look again at my list Frank.

I think you are very disillusioned Frank. I am simply showing the differences between chiropractic physicians and medical/surgical physicians (MDs and DOs). I completely disagree with your statements, and I think you need to recheck what I wrote. I am not trying to make the DO profession look bad nor am I trying to make Chiropractors look bad.
Your words are fallacious, and I don't appreciate you putting words into my mouth.

Frank51:
"you immidietly feel that they’re trying to put down D.Os, and therefore defend something that does not need defending. Please refrain from doing this, as this creates the illusion that we’re somehow at a disadvantage."

I am not defending anybody, anyone, or something. I was simply stating differences between the two professions.
Leave it at that.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
Instead of the usual bantering amongst each other, let's answer the actual question at hand. Forget what D.O.'s can do that D.C.'s can't.

What are the specific differences between osteopathic manipulation and chiropractic techniques?

How do they differ?
How are they the same?
If someone explained to you a technique, could you conclude it was an osteopathic technique or a chiropractic technique without asking who performed it? Or would those techniques be the same, but possible with different names?

I know there are differences, but I was always curious as to the specifics. Perhaps someone more familiar with chiropractics could enlighten us.

OP
T

Taus

10+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Philly
Status
Attending Physician
WOAH!...EVERYONE NEEDS TO CHILL THE F%#K OUT!

If you would please read my initial post, I know what a DO is. I am purely referring to OMM and not DO's in general for comparison to chiropractic tecniques. OSUdoc hit the nail on the head. I was looking for someone to elaborate on the specific tecniques of osteopathic manipulation and how they compare to chiropractic manipulation. Lets keep the whole view on professions out of this....

I did a search and most threads that I found ended up going off in tangents such as this thread has begun to, ie regarding differences in professions/rights/politics. I have no interest in that aspect and do not wish to start a discussion/argument on that. Please feel free to start your own post dealing with those issues if you'd like to. I think I have a pretty valid question here, so if anyone has some input on the differences in MANIPULATION TECNIQUES b/w DO's and DC's I would appreciate hearing them and think it might be an interesting topic for others on the forum as well.

Thank you for your time and hopefully I've gotten this thread back on track.

OSUdoc08 said:
Instead of the usual bantering amongst each other, let's answer the actual question at hand. Forget what D.O.'s can do that D.C.'s can't.

What are the specific differences between osteopathic manipulation and chiropractic techniques?

How do they differ?
How are they the same?
If someone explained to you a technique, could you conclude it was an osteopathic technique or a chiropractic technique without asking who performed it? Or would those techniques be the same, but possible with different names?

I know there are differences, but I was always curious as to the specifics. Perhaps someone more familiar with chiropractics could enlighten us.

MaloCCOM

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2002
www.thealo.com
Status
OMT involves more diagnosis. I have seen people at teh chirpractor and all they do is start cracking stuff, whereas, most physicians practicing OMT, seem to do a lot more diagnosis. But in the end it is a nice way to explain it to lay patients. My attending used to say, "It's like chiropractor, but better."

You can read some OMT stories on my blog:
http://www.thealo.com/maloblog/index.asp?ci=6&s=category

(nicedream)

Fitter Happier
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2004
The Sea
Status
medicine1 said:
Your words are fallacious, and I don't appreciate you putting words into my mouth.
I agree, how fellatious of you to put those into his mouth.

subtle1epiphany

Junior Faculty
15+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2003
UIowa <- UNM <- MSU <- SoCal
www.msu.edu
Status
Attending Physician
(nicedream) said:
I agree, how fellatious of you to put those into his mouth.
:laugh:

"nice" !

DocGina

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Status
Medical Student
Basically, there are more than 100 different OMT techniques which are grouped into six major types:

1.) High-velocity-low-amplitude, aka "HVLA" (also called “thrust”)
2.) muscle energy
3.) counterstrain
4.) myofascial release
5.) craniosacral
6.) lymphatic pump techniques.

HVLA OMT most closely resembles the chiropractic technique (often creating "cracking or popping" noises), although chiropractors may move the joint beyond its normal range of motion. HVLA OMT distinctly differs because the joint is not manipulated beyond its normal range of motion.

Muscle energy, counterstrain, and myofascial release are considered “soft tissue” techniques that do not involve chiropractic-like thrusting motions aimed at spinal manipulation. Rather, these techniques target muscle pain by changing muscle tone through reciprocal innervation. Additionally, soft tissue techniques activate the Golgi tendon reflex, which is an inhibitory reflex that causes relaxation of a muscle when sufficient tension is placed on the Golgi tendon organ.

The lymphatic pump technique enhances lymphatic return by increasing intrathoracic pressure or by mechanically assisting return of lymph from the lower extremities.

I'm least familiar with craniosacral OMT. However, I do know that the technique is based on the idea that oscillatory motions of the cranial bones and sacrum exist and can be influenced by the application of gentle pressure.

Hope that helps to answer your question!

BMW19

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2002
Da South
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
No difference. A DO is just a glorified Chiro who can prescribe pain meds

frank51 said:
He's not asking about the difference between chiropractors and D.Os, he's asking about the difference between OMM and the techniques used by chiropractors. Why is it that every time someone comments on anything that has to do with D.Os (OMM, COMLEX, etc.) you immidietly feel that they’re trying to put down D.Os, and therefore defend something that does not need defending. Please refrain from doing this, as this creates the illusion that we’re somehow at a disadvantage. The very fact that you compared D.Os to chiropractors produces a negative image, think about it, would you take the time to compare M.Ds to chiropractors.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
BMW19 said:
No difference. A DO is just a glorified Chiro who can prescribe pain meds
Wow, it looks like that flaming and trolling are always inevitable. It is unfortunate that it always comes from people who aren't actually in school yet.

Courses taken in Chiropractic school and Osteopathic medical school are different.

Courses taken in MD school and DO school are the same, with the exception of one course. Not only is a DO qualified to do everything that an MD can, but they can do OMM.

If a DO is a "glorifed Chiro" who can prescribe pain meds, then an MD is just some random guy that can prescribe pain meds.

Doesn't make any sense, does it?

This doesn't even mention the fact that OMM and Chiropractic techniques are different.

OP
T

Taus

10+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Philly
Status
Attending Physician
DocGina: Thank you so much for your response, as that was exactly what I was looking for!

DrDad

DO Stud. '08
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2003
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Visit site
Status
Trolly Bright Crawler Alert!!!!!!!!

frank51

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2003
Visit site
Status
OSUdoc08 said:
Wow, it looks like that flaming and trolling are always inevitable. It is unfortunate that it always comes from people who aren't actually in school yet.

Courses taken in Chiropractic school and Osteopathic medical school are different.

Courses taken in MD school and DO school are the same, with the exception of one course. Not only is a DO qualified to do everything that an MD can, but they can do OMM.

If a DO is a "glorifed Chiro" who can prescribe pain meds, then an MD is just some random guy that can prescribe pain meds.

This doesn't even mention the fact that OMM and Chiropractic techniques are different.
OSUdoc08, don't bother responding to posts by people like BMW19, they purposely write these ridiculous statements to get some attention. On a side note, maybe we should elect medicine1 to respond to posts by people like BMW19, given how quickly he likes to respond (oral or otherwise) to statements of “fellatious” nature. :D

BackTalk

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2003
Illinois
Visit site
Status
Yes it’s true that osteopath education and chiropractic education do differ. The main question had to do with technique. When it comes to manual medicine, whether DO or DC I think the techniques and the purpose of the technique are far more similar than they are different. The goal of the chiropractor is to correct joint dysfunction, reduce pain and spasm, correct muscle imbalances and address overall biomechnical or posture faults. DC’s who practice NMS care address these issues and DO’s who practice OMM probably do pretty much the same. Like our profession, you doctors probably have split opinion when it comes to OMM practice. That is, some have philosophical reasons on why they use a certain technique and the goal of the technique(s) is different. The goals of the techniques I perform are what I mentioned earlier. The goals of the philosophical chiropractor or a straight chiropractor are to address nerve interference. They believe this interference causes a state of “dis-ease” and hinders the body’s innate ability to heal itself. By adjusting the segments of the spine that are subluxated (vertebrae that have lost there normal position, impinging upon nerves exiting the spine and causing nerve interference) removes the interference. So the goal of their treatment or technique they use is to remove nerve interference. I may use the same technique but the result I want to achieve isn’t to remove nerve interference, but rather to restore motion or reduce muscular spasm or do some of the other things I mentioned earlier. The techniques are the same but result that the chiropractor is trying to accomplish is different. With osteopath medicine some beliefs when it comes to OMM are different. Some believe manipulation of joints, muscles, tissues and viscera is to promote the circulation and allow the vital fluids to circulate without interruption. They stipulate that disease is caused by abnormal changes in the tissues of ligaments, muscles and organs as well as in the position and mobility of the bones wherever situated in the body. An osteopathic lesion may be in bony, muscular, ligamentous, facial, or involve other tissues. The result of this lesion is lack of normal movement in surrounding tissues allowing blood and lymph to stagnate, causing acidosis, irritating nerves which pass that way and through them affecting the functions of various organs including blood vessels. So you see where the technique the osteopath uses may be the same as other osteopaths but the expected result is different.

Within chiropractic there is probably over a 100 techniques as well. Many are unique only to chiropractic and there are some that are borrowed from other professions and modified. Chiropractors also utilized osteopath techniques. SOT is very popular technique chiropractor’s use and I believe it is an osteopath technique. Flexion/distraction is another technique chiropractors borrowed from osteopaths. So many of the techniques we both use are the same, the result we want to achieve are the same and sometimes, depending on philosophical belief is different. Whether what they believe or you believe is true or not, will hopefully be determined with good research.

DocGina

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Status
Medical Student
Taus said:
DocGina: Thank you so much for your response, as that was exactly what I was looking for!
Glad to have helped you! If you need anything else, I will be in your class in August! PM me if you have any more questions. I did extensive OMM research for a neurology class and wrote a great research paper for my professor who was previously a skeptic.

BMW19

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2002
Da South
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
That is pretty funny Frank, maybe you should go into standup. The only reason I even replied to the idiotic statements people like you make is that I am a chiropractor who is going to osteopathic school. I think I have a right to defend my current profession. Most of the time you guys are completely ignorant about what a chiropractor does and just like to bash us. With that u should do some research on chiropractic b/c you have no clue

BMW-

frank51 said:
OSUdoc08, don't bother responding to posts by people like BMW19, they purposely write these ridiculous statements to get some attention. On a side note, maybe we should elect medicine1 to respond to posts by people like BMW19, given how quickly he likes to respond (oral or otherwise) to statements of “fellatious” nature. :D

BMW19

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2002
Da South
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
As for you OSUdoc, you have been in medical school for one year. I have been a chiropractor for 3. I think I have some more clinical experience than you.

The only reason I make sarcastic posts is because i'm sick of people (especially DO students) making incorrect and demeaning statements about chiropractors when they know nothing about them. For Frank to say "to even compare DO to a chiro, produces a negative image", is offensive to me.

Not trying to start a war, but ignorance breeds ignorance...

BMW-

OSUdoc08 said:

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
BMW19 said:
As for you OSUdoc, you have been in medical school for one year. I have been a chiropractor for 3. I think I have some more clinical experience than you.

The only reason I make sarcastic posts is because i'm sick of people (especially DO students) making incorrect and demeaning statements about chiropractors when they know nothing about them. For Frank to say "to even compare DO to a chiro, produces a negative image", is offensive to me.

Not trying to start a war, but ignorance breeds ignorance...

BMW-
It is negative if you try to explain it off by saying the only difference is the "ability to prescribe medications."

You claim to know the difference with your vast clinical experience. If so, then you wouldn't make such statements that "breed ignorance."

On a side note: I have worked in emergency rooms for many more years than you have been a chiropractor, so no, you don't.

Simply leave such comments to yourself. They aren't needed on this forum.

BackTalk

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2003
Illinois
Visit site
Status
BMW :thumbup:

Few other slams...

Kind of sad that we have to use the illegitimate offspring of Osteopathy as an analogy for lay people to understand what OMM is. I've had to do it, too.
Implying that chiropractors are “illegitimate offspring of Osteopathy”.

volves more diagnosis. I have seen people at teh chirpractor and all they do is start cracking stuff, whereas, most physicians practicing OMT, seem to do a lot more diagnosis. But in the end it is a nice way to explain it to lay patients. My attending used to say, "It's like chiropractor, but better."
I see this stuff on these boards all the time, I realize it comes with the turf. But if one is going to dish out slams, then don’t get offended when comes back to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.