Educating Family and Friends about Osteopathic Medicine

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by DOC-2005, Jul 22, 2001.

1. DOC-2005

DOC-2005 Junior Member

On my journey to getting into medical school, I've noticed how little people know about Osteopathic Medicine and D.O. physicians and surgeons. All the posts I have recently read on this website concerning this issue have caused me to think of a way that might help me to educate my family and close friends. What do you think?

I was planning on sending a letter with the usual greetings and asking how everyone is doing, then mentioning that I will be attending Osteopathic Medical school, which grants a D.O. degree: Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine. I'd probably mention that I have noticed that many people don't know the similarities and differences between D.O.s and M.D.s. Next, I'd add that I have included a pamphlet addressing some of these issues; the pamphlet would be one of AOA's or one of the local Osteopathic Association's publications. At the end of the letter, I'd mention that if they have any questions to feel free to contact me at so and so, the local Osteopathic Association, or the American Osteopathic Association.

After thinking about how many people I'd be providing this information to (approximately 35 households), I realized that this might be a good way of educating our family and close friends about Osteopathic Medicine.

Those of us that are interested in educating people about D.O.s, could do something like this for under $20 (assuming we could get the pamphlets for little to no cost). I'm sure that our university, local Osteopathic Association, or AOA would provide us with some pamphlets.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Esteban Ramirez
    MSU-COM 2005

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Billie

Billie An Oldie but a Goodie...

I'm sorry but I am confused. Is this mailing to go to random households? Or to your family and friends?

4. DOC-2005

DOC-2005 Junior Member

Hi Billie-- I think you misunderstood me. I wrote about what I was thinking of doing to help educate MY family and close friends (approximately 35 households because of my wife's side of the family and my side of the family and close friends). I went on to say that I realized that this may be a cheap way (under $20) for us (DO students) to educate those that are close to us about Osteopathic Medicine; I'm expecting many family members and friends to ask what is Osteopathic Medicine and what are the differences between DOs and MDs. This would let them know.

I didn't wish to imply that I would sent it to random households.

5. William Bohannon

Personally, I would simply tell my family and in-laws in a very excited tone that I will be attending medical school this fall. Since the AOA is planning on a public awareness campaign, I would just wait for all the amazing articles and advertisements in popular magazines like "Good Housekeeping" and "Woman's Day".

Then, after the second year, I would offer OMT to family members.

As my wise and savvy colleague Billie would say "Get back to work William, you don't have time to post replies".

6. docflanny

docflanny Senior Member

Esteban,

Great idea! I will probably do the same. Look forward to meeting you and your classmates this fall or possibly this weekend at the softball tournament.

7. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned
    Banned

Resident [Any Field]
    Most brochures and informational pamphlets from DO schools contain a brief, but adequate explanation of Osteopathic medicine and the role it plays in todays medical society.

I would simply send them a letter saying "Here's where I'm going!", along with the full color brochure of the school.

Talk to the admissions desk at the school you will be attending...I think they would be happy to help.

Good luck!

8. Dr6

Dr6 Junior Member

Esteban,

Great idea. My fiancee and I will be attending LECOM this fall together. We noticed the same problem. We just finished our Master degrees and she did her thesis on Graduate students' knowledge of the DO profession. She found that a lot of people, even in the medical field, do not know a whole lot about the Osteopathic field. She e-mailed AOA and they sent her as many pamphlets as she wanted. You can get the e-mail address at their website and explain to them what you want to do. I think they would be more than happy to send you some. Good luck educating your family. I did the same thing with my family and friends.