stwei

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 17, 2003
Status (Visible)
Has anyone here ever sought a private educational counselor for help about his/her academic situation, and if so, for what and how useful was it?

uclakid

15+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2003
Morocco
Status (Visible)
i've never used any private educational consulting service, but I've heard of something called Inquarta...

About the Ads

DannGee

Adorned, Imperious
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2003
cleveland
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by stwei
Has anyone here ever sought a private educational counselor for help about his/her academic situation, and if so, for what and how useful was it?

what exactly is this? ive never heard of it before. is it just a tutor that charges more money than a normal tutor?

docmemi

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2003
Los Angeles, Calif.
Status (Visible)
waste of money. please stay away. you have sdn and you have your premed counselors and professors on campus. those resources are more than enough. from a friends experience, those are scams.

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by uclakid
i've never used any private educational consulting service, but I've heard of something called Inquarta...

I didn't hear anything very positive about the person in charge of Inquarta (Based in Irvine, CA, I think), Don Osborne. If I were to use a consultant, I'll stay away from his company.

jlee9531

J,A,S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2002
CA
fantasysports.yahoo.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
yeah like anti said...i cant see how any of these pay services would know as much as premed advisors and sdn that you can access for free.

the application process is a random one...noone can distinctly tell you which schools you will get into and which you wont.

waste of $$

docmemi

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2003
Los Angeles, Calif.
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by CalBeE
I didn't hear anything very positive about the person in charge of Inquarta (Based in Irvine, CA, I think), Don Osborne. If I were to use a consultant, I'll stay away from his company.

did you actually here something negative or just nothing positive?

from what i know these companies ask you for the money up front. then they dont care anymore. you have to go after them for help. and their help isnt that special anyway. but with anything, like prep courses, if you sign up you better take advantage of everything they have to offer you.

BerkeleyPremed

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by docmemi
did you actually here something negative or just nothing positive?

from what i know these companies ask you for the money up front. then they dont care anymore. you have to go after them for help. and their help isnt that special anyway. but with anything, like prep courses, if you sign up you better take advantage of everything they have to offer you.

What other consulting companies have you heard of besides Inquarta? The consultants from Inquarta looked REALLY shady on the website...they come from such "prestigious" pillars of academia such as the University of Redlands, Vanguard University, and the University of Phoenix. :rolleyes: I actually took a look at their "About Inquarta" section of the website and it has profiles of all their consultants...seems pretty shady to me. If they help people get into graduate school, med school, law school, etc...you'd think they would actually come from good schools.

docmemi

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2003
Los Angeles, Calif.
Status (Visible)
i never understand these consultants and counselors. if they know so much, why dont they do it themselves? youd imagine they can get into any school since they supposedly know so much. i hope you guys dont just bounce back at me and say "well, they arent passionate about becoming the professon, just advising students." do you think there are other reasons?

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
Status (Visible)
Usually the team of consultants are good at things like editing essays, interviewing skills, etc. And they probably figure that working in a consulting company makes more money than going through grad school...

But anyways, I did hear NEGATIVE things about Inquarta.

fullefect1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2003
Mass
Status (Visible)
They wouldn't know jack sh** compared to many people on this board. Don't waste your money.

BerkeleyPremed

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2003
Status (Visible)
I agree. Most members of SDN probably know more than these "consultants." Plus, I'm not really sure if I'd trust a consluting firm that actually boasts about having consultants from such prestigious universities as Vanguard University (where the **** is this school?) and the University of Phoenix (yep..the on-line diploma mill where you can purchase an MBA for X amount of dollars). :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

About the Ads

bongsen

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2004
Status (Visible)
yeah i was totally scammed by Inquarta. after I sent in the $1,000 all I ever got was a packet on how to decide if medical school was good for me, and some other stupid guides. Avoid with a passion!

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by bongsen
yeah i was totally scammed by Inquarta. after I sent in the $1,000 all I ever got was a packet on how to decide if medical school was good for me, and some other stupid guides. Avoid with a passion!

Did you try to call Don Osborne, or did he try calling you? Did they read over your essays and did you do mock interviews? I can't imagine Inquarta actually NOT doing anything at all.

docmemi

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2003
Los Angeles, Calif.
Status (Visible)
its true...i know of someone else. once they get the money, they could careless what happens to you. and they have this limit on the number of times u meet. just stay away.

bongsen

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2004
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by CalBeE
Did you try to call Don Osborne, or did he try calling you? Did they read over your essays and did you do mock interviews? I can't imagine Inquarta actually NOT doing anything at all.

are you doubting my story bbq meat eater? go chew on your own leg next time! and yes, it is true. what a scam.

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
Status (Visible)
are you doubting my story bbq meat eater? go chew on your own leg next time! and yes, it is true. what a scam.

Dang, I hope you're joking and not being bitter, cause I would think that Don Osborne will at least *try his best* to give you emails or phone calls, though they may not be helpful at all.

So what exactly are services that Inquarta provided to you, there gotta be *something* right?

bongsen

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2004
Status (Visible)
OK, sorry I change my mind, CalBeE
BBQ Meat Supermember.

**Hey you all out there, you should sign up for this program. It is sooo good. It got me into all the med schools I wanted, and plus I had all the support I ever needed. & it was fun! It's worth every single penny!

call CalBeE
BBQ Meat Supermember if you're unhappy with this service, because I do not want responsibility anymore.

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
Status (Visible)
OK, sorry I change my mind, CalBeE
BBQ Meat Supermember.

**Hey you all out there, you should sign up for this program. It is sooo good. It got me into all the med schools I wanted, and plus I had all the support I ever needed. & it was fun! It's worth every single penny!

call CalBeE
BBQ Meat Supermember if you're unhappy with this service, because I do not want responsibility anymore.

Dude this is not cool. I have never used Inquarta, so obviously I won't know anything about it. I just found it odd that they didn't even do ANYTHING besides sending you some handouts. I'd think that it makes more sense if they actually do SOMETHING, but are not very helpful, so I just wanna know.

You seriously have an attitude problem.

BerkeleyPremed

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2003
Status (Visible)
:smuggrin: hope you get some mad cow disease soon.

CalBEe, yeah this guy definitely has an attitude problem. His mother might not have held him enough while he was a baby (lack of limbic system stimulation). I have no clue why this guy won't answer your question regarding Inquarta. I'm guessing bongsen's story is probably BS. For $1000...they HAVE to give you something else besides just a stupid packet. They have to go over your application essays, do mock interviews, and tell you what you might want to do to improve your application.

gsx56

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2004
Status (Visible)
Isn't Inquarta somehow related to Princeton Review?! How so?

lyragrl

Mold-a-rama fan
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2003
Status (Visible)
:smuggrin: hope you get some mad cow disease soon.

Dude, that isn't even funny.

CalBeE, I got your back, bro.

bongsen

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2004
Status (Visible)
:sleep: GO TO *[email protected]

As a medical school applicant last year, many would say that I had a strong app. However, it was not complete. I lacked one crucial element -- how should I express why I wanted to be a doctor in the primary, secondaries and interviews? INQUARTA was an invaluable resource in helping me develop my reasons for becoming a physician. I discovered my motives for going into medicine and learned a great deal about myself. Your interview workshops showed me how absolutely imperative it is that you understand why you want to become a doctor, especially at a time when medicine is undergoing some drastic changes. I felt very prepared -- I learned to articulate my desires to practice medicine and deal with the anxiety that is a part of the personal interview.

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
Status (Visible)
:sleep: GO TO *[email protected]

As a medical school applicant last year, many would say that I had a strong app. However, it was not complete. I lacked one crucial element -- how should I express why I wanted to be a doctor in the primary, secondaries and interviews? INQUARTA was an invaluable resource in helping me develop my reasons for becoming a physician. I discovered my motives for going into medicine and learned a great deal about myself. Your interview workshops showed me how absolutely imperative it is that you understand why you want to become a doctor, especially at a time when medicine is undergoing some drastic changes. I felt very prepared -- I learned to articulate my desires to practice medicine and deal with the anxiety that is a part of the personal interview.

I think what you're missing are maturity and common respect for other people

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.