Edward Via - Auburn (VCOM-Auburn) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the thread. I really suggest that everyone give the CIB a quick skim. It says that if you applied to their other campuses, that you only need to submit one secondary application and pay only one fee. Next, after a site visit in July and a September review from COCA they anticipate that they will follow AACOMAS traffic guidelines regarding interviews.

Very excited for this school! My application is complete and now I'm just praying for an interview. I would love to be part of an inaugural class!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just added this school to my AACOMAS early this morning after researching the area and VCOM. It seems to have an incredible potential! @sjingle would you mind posting the secondary questions? Or PMing me? Good luck!!

Yeah, I am excited about the school also. Interested to see how things develop in Auburn.

would you mind posting the secondary questions? Or PMing me? Good luck!!

You can also find the secondary questions in one of the other VCOM threads since the secondaries for all 3 campuses are the same.

Oh yeah, duh. Thanks for reminding me!

Yep but just for good measure these were the prompts..

Describe the top three reasons you have chosen osteopathic medicine as your professional choice in becoming a physician. (500 words)

Professionalism and the ability to gain respect in the community in which you live is of utmost importance as you embark upon a career as a physician. What three professional qualities do you feel a Student Doctor must be able to demonstrate as he/or she makes the transition into the study and practice of medicine. How will you demonstrate those qualities as a medical student at VCOM? (500 words)

Please describe a volunteer or service activity that played a large part in your decision to become a physician. (500 words)

So excited for this school!

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone visited? I know the school is having it's first application cycle now, but I have been unable to visit an Edward Via school.. how do they work with the partnership? I love the idea of being in this location and I am really attracted to the work Edward Via schools do in Guatemala.

Also considering applying. Do first classes typically have worse match placements from a new school?

Also considering applying. Do first classes typically have worse match placements from a new school?

I thought the same thing, however it seems like since Edward Via is established as a medical school already, this wouldn't be as much of an issue

I got the "Thank you for submitting a primary application to VCOM. Please be advised your application was received from AACOMAS...." email yesterday but no secondary yet; submitted to VCOM-Auburn last week. Did you all receive the same email? If so, was there a long delay in receiving the secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
I received the email, then I'd say it was about 3-5 days before I received the secondary

Has anyone visited? I know the school is having it's first application cycle now, but I have been unable to visit an Edward Via school.. how do they work with the partnership? I love the idea of being in this location and I am really attracted to the work Edward Via schools do in Guatemala.
I've visited this campus every day for the last 5 months. Well, not quite - I actually drive by it every day on my way home from Auburn University to check out the construction progress. The buildings are going up very fast, and I have no doubt they will be able to host the inaugural class in Fall 2015.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
i spoke with the director of admissions of the new VCOM auburn this weekend in Destin at the Alabama osteopathic medical association meeting and it seems be great school. He said they can not interview till october but go ahead get applications in. They are in there final stage accreditation then can interview students. The cool thing about them is Dr. Andrews covers sports medicine for auburn athletics and the school is going to focus primarily on sports medicine. They have partnered with Andrews and will have rotations there for sports medicine. They also going have a sports medicine residency.

This makes me so excited to get more information from this school! Love the location and what seems to be going on there!

This makes me so excited to get more information from this school! Love the location and what seems to be going on there!

I had to edit my original post because ... I don't want to let people on to how awesome it is living here. ;) This is a wonderful community with tremendous upside ... and our state has an equally tremendous need for primary care physicians. I'm originally from Southern California, and much prefer it here.

Last edited:
BKR2 said, "i spoke with the director of admissions of the new VCOM auburn this weekend in Destin at the Alabama osteopathic medical association meeting and it seems be great school. He said they can not interview till october but go ahead get applications in. They are in there final stage accreditation then can interview students. The cool thing about them is Dr. Andrews covers sports medicine for auburn athletics and the school is going to focus primarily on sports medicine. They have partnered with Andrews and will have rotations there for sports medicine. They also going have a sports medicine residency."

That's great news. I had read an article from 2012 that Dr. Andrews was going to be associated with the school. That is huge! Since he is ortho, is VCOMs focus going to be on sports med from an internal medicine standpoint or ortho?

I'll post a picture of the (under construction) building tomorrow for those of you who are interested. :)

I'll post a picture of the (under construction) building tomorrow for those of you who are interested. :)

Yes please! And it sounds so AWFUL living there! Nice to have some eyes down there while we're up here in the north! ;)

I have already applied to the other two campuses and submitted my letters and secondary. I decided to apply to this campus today. Does anyone know if I need to submit my secondary or anything again and mark this campus too?

BKR2 said, "i spoke with the director of admissions of the new VCOM auburn this weekend in Destin at the Alabama osteopathic medical association meeting and it seems be great school. He said they can not interview till october but go ahead get applications in. They are in there final stage accreditation then can interview students. The cool thing about them is Dr. Andrews covers sports medicine for auburn athletics and the school is going to focus primarily on sports medicine. They have partnered with Andrews and will have rotations there for sports medicine. They also going have a sports medicine residency."

That's great news. I had read an article from 2012 that Dr. Andrews was going to be associated with the school. That is huge! Since he is ortho, is VCOMs focus going to be on sports med from an internal medicine standpoint or ortho?
suppose be ortho.

wondering if I should still apply with a science GPA of 3.16 even though the website states "To be considered a competitive applicant to VCOM, candidates should have achieved at least a 3.2 science and cumulative grade point average, on a 4.0 scale" I make up for it in my MCAT of 28, and my cGPA of 3.32 isn't the worst. any thoughts?

Pictures of the campus (taken 05 AUG 2014). :)

Front of the building, literally standing in the driveway:

2014-08-05 11.32.46.jpg

A picture of the construction sign, which has a conceptual drawing/photograph of the completed building:

2014-08-05 11.33.28.jpg

A side view of the VCOM-Auburn building. There is a lot of construction activity behind the building as well, but the trees obscure the view:

2014-08-05 11.37.47.jpg

Driving North on S Donahue Drive, toward the center of Auburn University. VCOM-Auburn is 200 meters behind me, on the left. You can see the football stadium straight ahead, where the 2015 NCAA Division 1 national champions will play their home games. ;) WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!

2014-08-05 11.40.06.jpg

A view from the Auburn University Student Center, looking back toward the VCOM-Auburn building. This picture was taken facing S-SE; the VCOM-Auburn campus is S-SW from this location (to the right). The actual building is not visible, but I thought people might want a glimpse of the Auburn University campus as well:

2014-08-05 12.29.46.jpg

:)

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Pictures of the campus (taken 05 AUG 2014). :)

Front of the building, literally standing in the driveway:

View attachment 184277

A picture of the construction sign, which has a conceptual drawing/photograph of the completed building:

View attachment 184278

A side view of the VCOM-Auburn building. There is a lot of construction activity behind the building as well, but the trees obscure the view:

View attachment 184281

Driving North on S Donahue Drive, toward the center of Auburn University. VCOM-Auburn is 200 meters behind me, on the left. You can see the football stadium straight ahead, where the 2015 NCAA Division 1 national champions will play their home games. ;) WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!

View attachment 184279

A view from the Auburn University Student Center, looking back toward the VCOM-Auburn building. This picture was taken facing S-SE; the VCOM-Auburn campus is S-SW from this location (to the right). The actual building is not visible, but I thought people might want a glimpse of the Auburn University campus as well:

View attachment 184280

:)

Thank you so much. Wow! It certainly is beautiful! And it's nice to know we can cheer the eagles on in spirit (and maybe catch a bit of the big screen ;) ) as we study endlessly in the buildings! Haha

Last edited:
Any bias towards in state applicants? I'd appreciate some instate love!

Any idea if I can apply without a DO letter?
They said I can with a MD letter but must get a DO letter before matriculation. 30 days after getting accepted.
Do they provide any help getting the DO LOR???

Still waiting for the secondary. Received one for every other school I've applied to. Hoping I get it within the next few days.

Add me to the list of stalkers. I'm working on my secondary application now. My MCAT scores won't be in til September 2 or so. I spoke with Ms. Jasmine Oliver (admissions director) about the DO letter, and she said she is working on a list of local DOs that would welcome a shadow. I've got a letter from an MD to get started. I shadowed a DO a couple of years ago, I'm wondering if he will be up for writing that letter. I'm working up the courage to ask. I drive by the construction a few times a week myself when I drop my boys off for football practice nearby. It's so exciting!

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1408059143.613753.jpg

The roof is coming along!
I stopped by the site today after going to the farmer's market a block over at the arena.

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone else still waiting for secondary? My primary has been verified for almost a month.

I received an email stating that they will be reviewing my app in a committee meeting to determine if I will even be offered a secondary.

Secondary received here 8/13. Am very excited to apply for the Auburn campus. I have very close friends who spent a few years in San Diego who decided to move back to Alabama. Really want to be apart of the Southern hospitality and also being so close to New Orleans perhaps I can do an elective or two at LSUSOM!

very excited to hear that they may have a focus on sports med... that is what i want to go into!!! would love to be a part of the first class this school sees

has interviews went out yet for the auburn campus?

Hey everyone! Been a long time lurker here on sdn. Sent out completed secondary on 8/6 and was wondering if anyone knows if they send an email regarding file completion before considering interview spots?

Good luck to everyone this cycle!

Hey everyone! Been a long time lurker here on sdn. Sent out completed secondary on 8/6 and was wondering if anyone knows if they send an email regarding file completion before considering interview spots?

Good luck to everyone this cycle!

Out of curiosity, did you apply to VCOM campuses other than Auburn? Or was it your only one, thanks!

I believe VCOM does send those type of file completion emails, but double check with a VCOM-VC or CC thread from a previous year just in case.

Out of curiosity, did you apply to VCOM campuses other than Auburn? Or was it your only one, thanks!

I believe VCOM does send those type of file completion emails, but double check with a VCOM-VC or CC thread from a previous year just in case.

Thanks, good idea!

I applied to all three with Auburn being my first choice. What about you?

Thanks, good idea!

I applied to all three with Auburn being my first choice. What about you?

Just to Auburn. I'm considering adding the others though, I've been in contact with one of the associate VP's for awhile. I was told by that same person that they take 6-7 people from my school every year which is pretty enticing. It's one of my top choices too, the sports med focus and potential to work with Auburn Athletics (maybe even the football team) is an opportunity I can't pass up.

Best of luck to you!

They said interviews would start in Oct. I'm still waiting on the LOR from the physician to finish my secondary. Ugh!

I've gotten an email from them letting me know what's missing from my secondary.

Just to Auburn. I'm considering adding the others though, I've been in contact with one of the associate VP's for awhile. I was told by that same person that they take 6-7 people from my school every year which is pretty enticing. It's one of my top choices too, the sports med focus and potential to work with Auburn Athletics (maybe even the football team) is an opportunity I can't pass up.

Best of luck to you!

You're not an AL resident are you?

Just got a complete email :) super excited!