DrPhysician

10+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Does anyone know if Edward Via VCOM absolutely requires a letter from a DO?? I contacted the local Virginia Osteopathic Medical Association to see if i could get help finding a DO to shadow in my area, and i was told that most of the DO's in my area won't let a student shadow due to privacy concerns, thus this poses a problem for me. So I was wondering if VCOM mandates the DO letter or not. Does anyone know??

THANKS!! :)

Packamylase

MSIV
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2006
In the City of Fountains
Status
Medical Student
DrPhysician said:
Does anyone know if Edward Via VCOM absolutely requires a letter from a DO?? I contacted the local Virginia Osteopathic Medical Association to see if i could get help finding a DO to shadow in my area, and i was told that most of the DO's in my area won't let a student shadow due to privacy concerns, thus this poses a problem for me. So I was wondering if VCOM mandates the DO letter or not. Does anyone know??

That may be their official stance, but if you contact the osteopathic physicians directly, the story will probably be different. Be confident, honest, and humble, and you will be able to find someone to write a letter of recommendation for you.

Hardbody

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
DrPhysician said:

http://www.aacom.org/colleges/vcom.asp

Secondary Application Requirements:

Secondary Application and Processing Fee
Completed evaluation form or letter (on letterhead accompanied by a release) from an osteopathic physician – THIS IS REQUIRED
Completed evaluation form or letter (on letterhead accompanied by a release) from a pre-med committee, pre-med advisor, or if neither are available, from one or more science faculty members

About the Ads

noshie

Don't judge!
10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
DrPhysician said:

Honestly, it is soooo easy to shadow a DO! Maybe just in Texas but... This is my advice, Do you have any MD/DO family members? or if you volunteer at a hospital, or anything anywhere near any doctors? I see that you were an EMT, you must have networked with someone! I do not mean what I am about to say as a mean thing so do not take it personally at all, but how do you know you want to be a doctor if you have never really met someone that has gone through what you want to go through? How can you really know what you are getting into if you have not seen a doctor in action. I just dont get it I guess. I dont know if they really require one, someone else needs to answer that for you, but I do think that anyone that wants to invest 8+ years on any career should at least once see what they are really doing all of this hard work for. Now saying that I think you should shadow a DO even if they do not require it. Also is that the only DO school you are applying to? I just looked at your MDapp, just wondering. Maybe close to your house I bet. :)

Raven Feather

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2005
Status
Jeez, I would have thought they would have accepted a MD letter. I was accepted there and 2 out of 3 of my interviewers were MDs. They have a lot of MDs on staff there. Hmmm.

OP
D

DrPhysician

10+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
noshie said:
Honestly, it is soooo easy to shadow a DO! Maybe just in Texas but... This is my advice, Do you have any MD/DO family members? or if you volunteer at a hospital, or anything anywhere near any doctors? I see that you were an EMT, you must have networked with someone! I do not mean what I am about to say as a mean thing so do not take it personally at all, but how do you know you want to be a doctor if you have never really met someone that has gone through what you want to go through? How can you really know what you are getting into if you have not seen a doctor in action. I just dont get it I guess. I dont know if they really require one, someone else needs to answer that for you, but I do think that anyone that wants to invest 8+ years on any career should at least once see what they are really doing all of this hard work for. Now saying that I think you should shadow a DO even if they do not require it. Also is that the only DO school you are applying to? I just looked at your MDapp, just wondering. Maybe close to your house I bet. :)
I am not taking your post personally, and I know you mean well, so I will explain myself.

How do I know I want to do this? I've been in the thick and thin of it. I've had the opportunity to work full codes, deliver babies, gunshot victims (i live in a dangerous city), stabbings, assaults, respiratory arrests, and many more things. I've had the opportunity to talk patients out of suicide. I've had the opportunity to comfort the elderly who just need a sympathetic voice. EMS is a very high stress job (in some situations you have precious minutes), and although it is not as stressful as a physician's job, this is the closest I will ever get to experiencing the high levels of stress that I should expect as a clinician. Shadowing a doctor is not going to get me in the thick in thin (the majority of the time), and it is certainly not going to expose me to the high levels of stress that a physician will experience. If anything, I will be standing there, observing the doctor's stress and won't know what he's going through. This is why I have never shadowed a doctor or volunteered in the ER. Instead of observing or stapling papers, I'd much rather be performing chest compressions, or setting up an IV, or suctioning the airway of a post-ictal patient. I've seen many types of patients from trauma to psychiatric, and I've loved every moment of every patient interaction i've had, and this is why i choose the career that i do.

I hope this explains it.

(btw, no that's not the only school i'm applying to. my stats suck... lol)

About the Ads