Edward Via - Virginia (VCOM-CC) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesLMT

Accidentally Accepted
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
New Year, New Thread!!! Discuss Away!!!

Members don't see this ad.

can anyone speak on the quality of rotations here?

I am very interested in VCOMCC. I plan on applying this cycle. I am a TN resident and had 3.5 GPA and 23 MCAT. I have over a year of experience (>2000 hrs) as an ER Scribe under my belt and I am about to start as a Medical Assistant at the largest Cardiology Clinic in the city. Any chance at getting in with that MCAT score?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am very interested in VCOMCC. I plan on applying this cycle. I am a TN resident and had 3.5 GPA and 23 MCAT. I have over a year of experience (>2000 hrs) as an ER Scribe under my belt and I am about to start as a Medical Assistant at the largest Cardiology Clinic in the city. Any chance at getting in with that MCAT score?
Apply as early as possible. They report an average of 25 so you are not too far off.

Thanks working on putting the finishing touches and waiting on transcripts

Hey, I am an NC resident, so the virginia and south carolina campuses are about the same distance from me. I am just wondering what the carolinas campus has to offer that the virginia one does not, and vice versa. Other than location, are there any major differences?

The Blacksburg campus is obviously larger because it has had a lot more time to grow. Other then that, the curriculum is the same, rotation sites are the same, and students average statistics (GPA/MCAT) are the same.

Applying here- my absolute top choice school. Great faculty, great administration. I had the privilege of sitting in on a lecture day here, and I was really impressed with the quality of everything. Applying CC due to proximity, but Blacksburg was gorgeous too.

The Blacksburg campus is obviously larger because it has had a lot more time to grow. Other then that, the curriculum is the same, rotation sites are the same, and students average statistics (GPA/MCAT) are the same.

Hmm ok thanks for the info. I guess I'll make my decision based on location/environment

I am confused... the thread title says Virginia, then says CC (Carolina Campus, I am assuming)?

received verification of primary today :) excited for the supplemental!

Good luck to you all! I cannot wait to start here in 1 month! Great facilities, Staff, and great location. PM me if you have any questions about anything at all.

I am confused... the thread title says Virginia, then says CC (Carolina Campus, I am assuming)?

There's a separate thread on the next page for VCOM Carolinas. I thought CC stood for carolinas too but either was I'm pretty sure this thread is for the Virginia campus

Members don't see this ad :)
Selttiks is right. I'm not sure what the CC stands for here for the Carolina thread in buried in the 2nd page with 0 replies.

Got an email June 26th that they received my primary and they will be reviewing apps in the next 2-3 wks.

Does anyone know when they send secondaries and if there are essays?

Got an email June 26th that they received my primary and they will be reviewing apps in the next 2-3 wks.

Does anyone know when they send secondaries and if there are essays?
They do send a fairly lengthy secondary. I believe it has about 3-4 essays.

Hey all, I found this on another board. An individual who stated that they just finished third year wrote it. Thought I would share since it answers a lot of common questions.

Curriculum: First and second year curriculum is constantly being altered/improved by the administration. I highly doubt that the curriculum I experienced is the same as what the current 1st years experience, just as mine was different from my classmates who are interns now. Overall, there are some truly excellent, easy-going professors with great open-door policies. Biochem comes to mind. Pathology is taught almost exclusively through online cases in a sort of independent study fashion; it is the only course like this. I personally love that model, because the vast volume of Path material would have taken hours and hours in lecture; it should be noted that I am not a big lecture fan in general (I was a back-of-the-classroom sitter, usually working on a totally different topic). Attendance at lectures is "required" but never strictly enforced. Post-exam days, especially near the end of 2nd year when boards were looming, may have had 30-40% attendance. Overall, we all attended classes in high percentages because we are adults, and it is just polite.

The curriculum is systems-based and divided into 8 blocks over your 1st and 2nd year. I love the systems model; it makes sense to me and was one of the reasons I picked VCOM. For example, Block 4 might be Cardiology. You will cover all Path, Phys, Pharm, Anatomy, etc for the Cardiovascular system. You can make connections and associations in this system that help you retain information. Many schools now use a systems-based approach, and I think it is a big strength.

Tests during my pre-clinical years were almost every single week, if not multiple times a week. It seems psycho at first, but you get used to it. It does force you to stay on top of everything, but getting sick for a few days can also be a problem.

OMM is very good. There is one lab a week plus 1-2 lectures a week devoted solely to OMM. OMM lab also includes a lot of sports-med-related testing. Practicals are run of the mill. On rotations, we are usually the most equipped student on site. Topically, the lecturers cover everything you need to know for boards. They do not teach very much cranial, so bear that in mind if you want to pursue that in your career.

Anatomy is a true strength. Our anatomy lab is amazing, huge and super fancy. There are something like 20-30 cadavers per class, which breaks down into 6 students per donor. Lab groups of 6 are split into 2 periods, so you typically share with 2 other students at a time unless there is a huge dissection that requires the whole group. Most anatomy faculty are great. Practicals occur once or twice a block and encompass all anatomy for that system. They are timed and highly structured...and often curved a bit.

Block 8 is a board review block. I will cover that under the Board Review section below.

The curriculum is ok. Often, the material is not board-relevant, which is frustrating as you near the end of 2nd year. There are only 1 or 2 truly impossible lecturers who write completely ridiculous questions. The other several dozen are reasonably or totally fair. Tests are moderately good, with some being difficult and excellent (Peds and Ob were always written very well), and others with multiple typos or missing answers (some of the Clinical Case Correlates come to mind).

Location: Blacksburg, VA for pre-clinicals. All over the place in clincals (see Rotations). Blacksburg is awesome. It is the college town that houses VA Tech, and I loved living there. It is smaller, but not tiny. You are 30 minutes from Roanoke, which has some trendier restaurants and lounges. Charlottesville is about 3 hours away. Asheville, NC is about the same distance. Columbus, OH is 5 hours. There is lots of outdoorsy stuff to do. During pre-clinicals, you can use all of Va Tech's facilities, including the student center which has bowling, pool and such for next to nothing. You also have access to the gyms, and you are allowed to sign up for the various athletic classes like Yoga, Pilates, etc. It is a family friendly town with beautiful seasons and very minimal snow (usually 1-2 bad storms per winter). There are also several fun festivals each year, like Fork and Cork, as well as a Farmer's Market.

Cost: I'm currently avoiding my loan statements. I honestly don't know how much tuition is right now, but it is mid-to-high-30s + cost of living, which is 13-15K. I know that my estimate for total debt when I graduate was something like 225-235K. I had no undergrad debt, so that should about sum it up. It is middle of the road for DO schools and about on par with any other private med school.

Faculty: See above under Curriculum. 80% good. 10% amazing. 10% awful. I think that is pretty standard for any sort of education, be it college or grad school or professional school.

Reputation: I learned more about this once I got out on rotations, but we have a really good reputation, especially on sites where there are students from other schools (including rotating MD students). VCOM tends to have very friendly classes, and this is evidenced by our interactions with residents and attendings. Many of my classmates are often told how "nice and normal" they are, and almost all of us have been complimented on clinical knowledge that exceeds the attending's expectations. Our match lists are always very nice, and we have residents/alums in some truly amazing spots.

Clinical Rotations: I cannot stress this enough - rotations, regardless of school, are going to be what you make of them. In addition, quality is very site-specific. Think about your med school class. You have lots of pretty smart, pretty nice people; you also have that guy who is a total pervert and some people that might actually be psychopaths. Now imagine they are done with residency and are attendings, because that is who you have as attendings on rotations. Just remember that.

VCOM has core sites all over VA, NC and SC. We also have one or two single rotations in TN. You enter a lottery system in the spring of 2nd year for your site assignment. I am at a site where 9 or my 10 rotations are on site. We have 4 or 5 core sites like that. The other core sites have 3 rotations there, 2 somewhere nearby, 1 in another city, etc. Depending on your needs and your family situation, you can rank the sites to try to meet your needs. VCOM allows special consideration forms to be submitted too; considerations are definitely made for children in school, owning a home, a spouse with a local job and family illness.

Rotations here are like rotations anywhere. Some attendings are amazing and love teaching; you will be challenged and learn. Other attendings are sort of "over it" but won't give you any crap, so you just read on your own and don't cause trouble. I have had two awful attendings on my rotations - one that sexually harassed every female students (reported it), one that seemed upset at life and was amazingly hateful (to everyone, not just me). My classmates have usually had 1 crazy/nutty/hateful/perverted attending in their 10 rotations, which takes me back to my earlier comment about 10% of the people in a class being sort of peculiar.

My site specifics are not particularly relevant, because it may be different when ya'll are 3rd years. Needless to say, we have site reps to answer questions, and VCOM provides plenty of info to help you decide on rankings.

Housing: In Blacksburg, it is great. Loads of apartments and houses at every price point. Very easy to rent. On rotations, it is totally site-specific.

Study areas: At VCOM, there is a large quiet room in the library with outlets. I'm not sure how many spots there are, at least 40. There are also break out rooms upstairs that seat about 10 people. Many also study in the classroom. On rotations, it is site specific. Most hospitals have a medical library for students of varying quality - some like closets, some like conference rooms.

Social Scene: In Blacksburg, it is great. Many students would go out together after tests. Lots of little restaurants and coffee places. We did a lot of social studying too. On rotations, again, site specific. If social interaction is a priority, there are core sites for that.

Local Hospitals: Too many to discuss - http://www.vcom.vt.edu/clinical/hospitals.html

Board Prep: As noted above, Block 8 of 2nd year is board prep. My class was the 2nd class that had this (I'm Class of 2013). It is 50% faculty essentially regurgitating their earlier lectures (not very useful). The other 50% is Dr. Rizk presenting his board prep program (very, very, very good). He also offers Step I and Step II review classes at VCOM just after the academic year ends. He is AMAZING. His material is EXTREMELY high yield. He told us things we had never heard before, and then those things were on boards. The addition of this review (by Dr. Rizk) is a very good thing.

Other: There is a super cute little coffee shop on the 2nd floor that serves breakfast and lunch. They have legitimately good food. The admissions/student services staff are amazing and some of my favorite people. They are always welcoming. This includes, but is not limited to: Julie, Matt, Tyler, Bea and Mr. King. The administration actually walks around and talks to students. Student feedback is relevant and listened to, and VCOM started these review groups called QACs to help facilitate that communication (I ran one during 1st and 2nd year). There is also a massive involvement with medical missions, and the website covers that pretty well.

Summary: Yes, I would go here again. I've been occasionally frustrated, but mostly satisfied. There is a lot of support for students. People in the administration and front office truly care about student welfare, and frankly, that is a huge factor in success in medical school. Pick a school where you feel comfortable.

Curriculum: B+
Cost: B+
Financial Aid: B+
Faculty: A
Technology: A+
Study Space/Library: A
Library technology/Resources: A-
Rotations: B+
Social: A-
Hospitals: varied

Overall Grade: A-

Just got this secondary, and wondering if that one section is solely for items not listed on AACOMAS?

Just got this secondary, and wondering if that one section is solely for items not listed on AACOMAS?

VCOM sent you a secondary? I haven't gotten one yet, still waiting...

Got a conformation email yesterday but no secondary here either

I got mine today too! YAY! I didn't get prescreened lol. It is pretty long, not horrible long but got some length to it.

Now I just have about 8 total 500word essays to write so far. Rock on!

Hey guys
I tried to use the email's info to log in to the supplemental app for VCOM, but it wouldn't let me, it keeps saying that I entered the info incorrectly. The ID portion is just my email address that I used for AACOMAS app, including the @xx.com and the AACOMAS ID is already given, but do I include the "-2013" after the first numbers?

Sorry if anyone wasted their time reading this!!

But thank you to anyone who helps me figure this out!

I got mine today too! YAY! I didn't get prescreened lol. It is pretty long, not horrible long but got some length to it.

Now I just have about 8 total 500word essays to write so far. Rock on!

Got mine today as well. I have four others I need to finish before it :eek:

Hey guys
I tried to use the email's info to log in to the supplemental app for VCOM, but it wouldn't let me, it keeps saying that I entered the info incorrectly. The ID portion is just my email address that I used for AACOMAS app, including the @xx.com and the AACOMAS ID is already given, but do I include the "-2013" after the first numbers?

Sorry if anyone wasted their time reading this!!

But thank you to anyone who helps me figure this out!

include the 2013 but remove the " - " between the 1st set of numbers and the 2013.

How's the secondary look? Was sent a "we don't have your MCAT so no secondary for you" type of thing, despite my MCAT finally making it onto my app a week and a half ago. So I guess I have a bit of time before I officially get it but I'm trying to keep up with them and get all the DO ones done before MD sarts rolling in. Lengthy or the usual questions?

aburnet2--thank you so much for your help. i don't know why i didn't think of that! thanks again :)

Did anyone else receive this email?

Dear XXX,

We are writing to follow-up with you regarding your application status at VCOM. Your AACOMAS application indicates that you are in the process of completing additional coursework this summer/fall 2012. Our committee conducted an initial review of your application and the committee determined they would prefer to wait to make a decision regarding your candidacy until they have the opportunity to review your grades from the summer/fall 2012 semester. Thus, your application has been placed on hold until we receive record of your grades.

lol...the prompts are exactly the same as CUSOM prompts...how convenient

Anyone know the address to mail the secondary check? I had problems with PayPal and it won't let me see that page anymore

Anyone know the address to mail the secondary check? I had problems with PayPal and it won't let me see that page anymore

VCOM
Office of Admissions
2265 Kraft Drive
Blacksburg, VA 24060

Did anyone else receive this email?

Dear XXX,

We are writing to follow-up with you regarding your application status at VCOM. Your AACOMAS application indicates that you are in the process of completing additional coursework this summer/fall 2012. Our committee conducted an initial review of your application and the committee determined they would prefer to wait to make a decision regarding your candidacy until they have the opportunity to review your grades from the summer/fall 2012 semester. Thus, your application has been placed on hold until we receive record of your grades.
Bummer. I guess this is added motivation for you to kick ass this semester!
The only email I got was them telling me they wanted to wait for my MCAT scores before they decided to give me a secondary.

Well just got another "you need to wait" email from them. Now that they have my MCAT they want to wait for my biochem class that I'm taking in the fall. Seems ridiculous that they want to wait for one class I'm taking to meet requirements at some schools and to just keep myself from being too distanced from the classroom for too long.

Has anyone else emailed them asking for this to be overlooked and just send a secondary? Knowing the results of this class will do absolutely nothing to change what anyone thinks of my application.

Well just got another "you need to wait" email from them. Now that they have my MCAT they want to wait for my biochem class that I'm taking in the fall. Seems ridiculous that they want to wait for one class I'm taking to meet requirements at some schools and to just keep myself from being too distanced from the classroom for too long.

Has anyone else emailed them asking for this to be overlooked and just send a secondary? Knowing the results of this class will do absolutely nothing to change what anyone thinks of my application.

Hmm... what is your science GPA? Maybe they want to see if you'll rock your biochem class to improve your sci GPA?

Hmm... what is your science GPA? Maybe they want to see if you'll rock your biochem class to improve your sci GPA?

Off the top of my head cGPA 3.59, sGPA: 3.82, MCAT 28 with an abysmal freshman year. I've rocked all my bio classes including many upper levels that we will be taking in med school. I can't see this one class doing anything to change anyone thoughts on my application.

I'm assuming the email was automated, was just wondering if anyone else has had success bypassing it.

I would just email or call them. They are all very nice in the admissions office and they will be able to explain exactly why they require your biochem class. This will also let them know that you are very interested.

Just got a secondary on Friday. They seem to be sending them out in smaller waves than the other schools.

Well they sent me an email they want to wait for my last 2 classes to finish up...guess I'm out...or not.

Is it just me or is this secondary quite extensive compared to other schools?

Also some of the questions are making me super paranoid... like about your community size and if you go to a DO/MD and stuff. I hope they don't count this against us... it's not my fault my parents chose to live in a suburban city and that the doctor I've had since birth is an MD!

Anyways I better to get to work on writing some essays....

I have all of the stuff on the secondary done, but I am so torn between the two campuses! They both seem like awesome places to learn, I just don't know which to choose!

Anyone know if they allow for one year deferment if accepted?

Are the secondary prompts for the virginia campus the same as the carolina campus?

List/Describe any work or volunteer opportunities NOT on AACOMAS (this one is more of a fill in the blank one rather than an essay

-What are the top five qualities you feel you bring to VCOM that would enhance the overall climate of our college? (500 words)

-Osteopathic medicine parallels allopathic medicine but has principles and practices that are distinct. Which of these principles and practices are of greatest interest to you and why? (500 words)

-There are many problems facing healthcare in America today. Describe your interpretation of the status of healthcare in the United States today and those challenges the patients and physicians of tomorrow will face.(500 words)

-In the event you submitted an application to VCOM last year, what improvements have you made to your application? (500 words)

-If you have not completed all the prerequisite coursework, please state how you intend on completing it prior to matriculation. (500 words)

?

has anyone received an "application complete" email from vcom?

Nope. Submitted the app 7/12 and haven't heard squat. It says on their website it takes about 2 weeks for them to review the file to make sure it's complete and send us an e-mail confirmation.

Hi everyone,

I am a Michigan resident and received my secondary at the begining of July... I have a an undergrad 3.6 sGPA, 3.4 cGPA, and a graduate (masters in biomed) GPA of 3.5 from Midwestern (CCOM) University..I think now my sGPA including undergrad and graduate work is 3.5.. I am waiting for my MCAT score to come in August 14.. I have 1200 hours of volunteering, 4500 clinical hours providing patient care from working, 200 shadowing hours..

Do you think as an OS student I would have a chance here?

Hi everyone,

I am a Michigan resident and received my secondary at the begining of July... I have a an undergrad 3.6 sGPA, 3.4 cGPA, and a graduate (masters in biomed) GPA of 3.5 from Midwestern (CCOM) University..I think now my sGPA including undergrad and graduate work is 3.5.. I am waiting for my MCAT score to come in August 14.. I have 1200 hours of volunteering, 4500 clinical hours providing patient care from working, 200 shadowing hours..

Do you think as an OS student I would have a chance here?

I think you stand a pretty good chance. I (out of region too) asked around a little before I added VCOM and the general consensus was if your stats are good you have a good chance.

That is a lot of clinical hours, what did you do if you don't mind me asking?

I think you stand a pretty good chance. I (out of region too) asked around a little before I added VCOM and the general consensus was if your stats are good you have a good chance.

That is a lot of clinical hours, what did you do if you don't mind me asking?

I probably should have look around a bit more before asking and posting some of my stats but I figured this was easier..

I worked full time throughout undergrad as an Emergency Room Tech..