Technology Eee PC 1002HA vs. new Macbook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Captopril

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The title says it all....Next month I am due for a new laptop via my parents as a grad gift. I could save them a bunch of dough and get the newest iteration of the Eee PC (1002HA; 10.2" screen) since all I do is web, Word, chat, email, and occasional photo stuff. But they are willing to get me the new macbook, which of course looks awesome.

So, do you guys think an Eee 1002 is sufficient for the needs of a fresh medical graduate who is going to use it through at least half of residency? Or should I toss in some extra $$$ and spring for the hotness of the new macbook?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, if you're not paying or it, and you don't have any particular qualms about the extra dough required... might as well spring for the macbook ;)

But if you're more inclined to spare them some cash (I dunno the financial situation these days are getting tough) then I would encourage you to consider the netbook. However, EEE 1002HA would not be my choice. Please look into the Samsung NC10. Trust me this is the best one currently on the netbook market. Incredible battery life, pretty good design, nice keyboard, very lightweight, still pretty small. Sammy basically took all the best things about every current netbook and mixed it into one device.

Personally, I think it's nice to have a 2ndary laptop like a netbook that you can carry around for portability, especially nice for college students and med students in their first 2 years. I guess the question is, since you're starting residency now, do you really need a highly-portable laptop? I'm MS3 and I dont see a need for a laptop-on-the-go so I'm sticking to my 16-inch desktop replacement (multimedia giant with 512 nVidia card).

That's a good point abt portability requirements in residency. Also, whatever I get is going to be my primary machine...don't know if a netbook would do the trick. I'll check out the Samsung just in case though. Thanks for the tip!

Members don't see this ad :)
For Web, Word, Chat, Photo, and Email, I love my MBs. Safari is almost always my browser of choice; there are several free versions of Office for your document needs (OpenOffice, NeoOffice); use Adium to chat via nearly any chat platform you might use; iPhoto is amazingly simple and powerful; and Mail is a really nice program that integrates with iPhoto and iCal.

If money isn't a big concern, I'd go for a decked out MB and never look back! :thumbup:

For Web, Word, Chat, Photo, and Email, I love my MBs. Safari is almost always my browser of choice; there are several free versions of Office for your document needs (OpenOffice, NeoOffice); use Adium to chat via nearly any chat platform you might use; iPhoto is amazingly simple and powerful; and Mail is a really nice program that integrates with iPhoto and iCal.

If money isn't a big concern, I'd go for a decked out MB and never look back! :thumbup:

You prefer Safari over Firefox? Never really given Safari a full test drive but I might if I've been missing out!

You prefer Safari over Firefox? Never really given Safari a full test drive but I might if I've been missing out!
Oh I love safari over firefox. There aren't all those additional extensions but it works flawlessly. No qualms what so ever.

To the OP. If this is going to be your primary machine and your parents can afford it I would get a MacBook. Works great no problems with school or anything. Everything you need to get your work done is included in the box but I also prefer iWork to MS Office or open office.

Remember once you go Mac you'll never go back. You never hear of people switching from Mac to windows... there is a reason for that

I wasn't a huge fan until the v3.0 beta came out and a lot of little issues I had with certain sites vanished and some cool usability features were added. I was a FF user before that, and now I find FF on Mac to be a little annoying (gasp! :D).

When I'm on Windows I use Firefox and when I'm on my Macs I use Safari. I prefer Safari, but they are both good.

Ditto to all this.

Don't know how many people still care about my laptop acquisition details...but in an unexpected turn of events I went with a Lenovo Thinkpad T400. I realized that I'd get over the Mac OS in a few weeks (not saying there's anything wrong with it, just that I'm too used to Windows to ever find using OSX efficient). Also, after using Vista on my roommates computer for a bit, I must say I actually like it. Throw in the legendary reliability of the Thinkpad line, and I think I have a winner (I hope). Also decided against the Eee because I realized I wanted something that will last me 4+ years, and wasn't sure if the Eee was future-proof enough.

Lenovo probably has some of the best hardware, but I would've gotten XP on it instead. YMMV with Vista...

Members don't see this ad :)
In an unrelated note... I just bought myself a new macbook!!! $1800 with the 2.4 GHz model...upgraded RAM and the apple care protection plan. I can't wait till it comes :D

In an unrelated note... I just bought myself a new macbook!!! $1800 with the 2.4 GHz model...upgraded RAM and the apple care protection plan. I can't wait till it comes :D

Congrats on your purchase but still ouch expensive. I hope you got your free printer with that and that you have a low tax rate. Did you need the 0.4 and backlit keyboard for $250 extra? Applecare could have been purchased for $125 on ebay or less with cash back or coupons and no tax. I will have to say that the RAM right now was probably still a good purchase from Apple for $135 and the ed discount due to problems with third party RAM. You ended up paying $1926 with taxes at 6%?

I just bought the same setup last weekend. Its somewhere between Shanghai China and Alaska as I type. I'm stalking my package thru the fedex website, soooo impatient lol. I'm treating myself to a 24" LCD to mount at my desk too. I seriously can't wait!!!

I just bought the same setup last weekend. Its somewhere between Shanghai China and Alaska as I type. I'm stalking my package thru the fedex website, soooo impatient lol. I'm treating myself to a 24" LCD to mount at my desk too. I seriously can't wait!!!
OOOO I want the 24" one... I wish I had the cash for it.

OOOO I want the 24" one... I wish I had the cash for it.

I'm actually getting a LG not the apple cinema display. I had a techie friend teach me about what all the specs mean and you can get a better display for less $$ right now, especially since the apple displays haven't been refreshed in a while! I was going to get the 15" MBP but I realized that the 13" MB + 24" LG display actually came out cheaper! I know that there is more to the MBP than the display but that's the only thing that I was really caring about. I do most of my studying at home so having a bigger display at my desk and a smaller laptop to lug around worked out better for me.

I'm actually getting a LG not the apple cinema display. I had a techie friend teach me about what all the specs mean and you can get a better display for less $$ right now, especially since the apple displays haven't been refreshed in a while! I was going to get the 15" MBP but I realized that the 13" MB + 24" LG display actually came out cheaper! I know that there is more to the MBP than the display but that's the only thing that I was really caring about. I do most of my studying at home so having a bigger display at my desk and a smaller laptop to lug around worked out better for me.
Actually the Apple display was refreshed in November... all new LCD to match the new macbook.

I've had a MBP for the last 2.5 years and before that it was a 12" PB and prior to that a 12" iBook. Got the 13" MacBook because it is small and portable but now I just need to save enough cash to get the cinema display (plus I'd need a slightly larger desk).

But getting the display would be me just wanting a bigger nicer set up... maybe I'll splurge or maybe I'll save the cash for skydiving lessons... dunno

Remember once you go Mac you'll never go back. You never hear of people switching from Mac to windows... there is a reason for that

Here's one person - me. Started with the Apple //e, and had various Powerbooks, desktops until I sold my last G3.

Switched to Windows. Now have Dells, Toshibas, Sony, built homebrews. The reason? Cost. At one time my household had close to seven desktops and laptops. Would absolutely not be able to afford that much hardware with Mac. There were some cross-compatibility issues back then that I'm sure are ironed out now, but back then it killed.

Would I like a Macbook? Hell yeah. Do I miss them? Sometimes. Not enough to rush out a buy one.

Congrats on your purchase but still ouch expensive. I hope you got your free printer with that and that you have a low tax rate. Did you need the 0.4 and backlit keyboard for $250 extra? Applecare could have been purchased for $125 on ebay or less with cash back or coupons and no tax. I will have to say that the RAM right now was probably still a good purchase from Apple for $135 and the ed discount due to problems with third party RAM. You ended up paying $1926 with taxes at 6%?

:( I guess I overpaid for the applecare. I live in Oregon so we have no sales tax...I'm going to be keeping this laptop for at least the next 4 years and I wanted to have peace of mind. I figured the extra .4 might mean something performance wise in a few years, which is the reason I also upgraded the RAM...just a pre-emptive strike to stall the outdating process. The backlite keyboard I have no excuse for wanting. It seems like a nice gimmick so I'll take it.

Nice!! Aluminum Macbook buddies! :highfive:
You bought it from the apple store online? I'm really impatient as well...I had no idea they were shipping it out from halfway across the globe though :thumbdown:

:( I guess I overpaid for the applecare. I live in Oregon so we have no sales tax...I'm going to be keeping this laptop for at least the next 4 years and I wanted to have peace of mind. I figured the extra .4 might mean something performance wise in a few years, which is the reason I also upgraded the RAM...just a pre-emptive strike to stall the outdating process. The backlite keyboard I have no excuse for wanting. It seems like a nice gimmick so I'll take it.

You bought it from the apple store online? I'm really impatient as well...I had no idea they were shipping it out from halfway across the globe though :thumbdown:

Ok I'm moving to Oregon. They ship from Shanghai since that is where they make them. I've had the 2GHz Aluminum model since October. As for your RAM, that was a good purchase as they sell it for a $135 upgrade in the education store rather than $150 in regular pricing. Just FYI next time though make sure you buy your free printer when you buy an Apple computer. If you buy during the summer you get the free printer and iPod. Enjoy your computer. :)

Yeah I had no clue either. I also had them pre-install their version of office because it was cheaper that way but didn't realize until later that it would take them an extra 2 days to do so (2 days to install a program!?!). Arg. Mine just left Alaska tonight so hopefully it will be here soon.

Yeah I had no clue either. I also had them pre-install their version of office because it was cheaper that way but didn't realize until later that it would take them an extra 2 days to do so (2 days to install a program!?!). Arg. Mine just left Alaska tonight so hopefully it will be here soon.

It's not really that it takes them 2 days to install it but what you ordered is called a BTO (build to order). It requires them to open a box that was ready to ship because it is the base model and then install and double check it. Part of it is that you probably ordered it at the end of the week.

Just remember how happy you will be when you open it. Even the packaging is beautiful and tight with how small and light the packaging is. Remembering how much packaging my iMac had in 2007 it was amazing how much it has changed since then.

Ok I'm moving to Oregon. They ship from Shanghai since that is where they make them. I've had the 2GHz Aluminum model since October. As for your RAM, that was a good purchase as they sell it for a $135 upgrade in the education store rather than $150 in regular pricing. Just FYI next time though make sure you buy your free printer when you buy an Apple computer. If you buy during the summer you get the free printer and iPod. Enjoy your computer. :)

Haha. Yup, a lot of people live across the river in Washington so they pay really low property taxes then do their shopping in Portland so they don't have to pay sales tax. I probably should have gotten the printer as well but I already had one and didn't feel like going through the rebates process...I do remember the ipod deal back in the summer, was wondering what happened to that. Oh wells, it would have been nice to sell it to recoup a little bit of the cost of the macbook. I figured letting apple upgrade it was the best way to go, that way I would have to buy two seperate 2gb sticks and end up with two useless 1gb sticks.

I think I'm gonna go with OpenOffice, the free open source alternative. I checked it out on my PC and it looks very functional so I'll save some money that way. Next week can't come soon enough!!!

Haha. Yup, a lot of people live across the river in Washington so they pay really low property taxes then do their shopping in Portland so they don't have to pay sales tax. I probably should have gotten the printer as well but I already had one and didn't feel like going through the rebates process...I do remember the ipod deal back in the summer, was wondering what happened to that. Oh wells, it would have been nice to sell it to recoup a little bit of the cost of the macbook. I figured letting apple upgrade it was the best way to go, that way I would have to buy two seperate 2gb sticks and end up with two useless 1gb sticks.

I think I'm gonna go with OpenOffice, the free open source alternative. I checked it out on my PC and it looks very functional so I'll save some money that way. Next week can't come soon enough!!!
I don't know anything about open office but I can say that iWork 09 is the bomb. I suggest you give it a try. You can download a trial from the iWork Website and browse those pages to look at the features... who knows you might like it better than OO

Places like OWC take your original RAM and give you $25 rebate back but if there are ever problems with your computer it is a good thing to have the original RAM. Since Apple sells the DDR3 RAM at a reasonable price in the ed store compared to third-parties I agree that it is a good purchase right now.

As for the Apple rebates, they have really streamlined the process. I got my check very quickly since everything is done online without cutting any UPCs out. If you had a printer though there is no reason to get another.

It's not really that it takes them 2 days to install it but what you ordered is called a BTO (build to order). It requires them to open a box that was ready to ship because it is the base model and then install and double check it. Part of it is that you probably ordered it at the end of the week.

Just remember how happy you will be when you open it. Even the packaging is beautiful and tight with how small and light the packaging is. Remembering how much packaging my iMac had in 2007 it was amazing how much it has changed since then.

Yeah I was amazed by the package size!!

I ordered it on a sunday night. I just checked the apple store and it would ship faster if I ordered it today! Weirdness.

I'm loving it so far. My fingers are adjusting to the keyboard but the trackpad was really easy to use out of the box. The screen is friggin beautiful. I'm currently training the battery. Will seriously suck when I have to let it go to sleep and leave it alone for 5 hours!!! I don't want to go back to working on the imac lol.

I don't know anything about open office but I can say that iWork 09 is the bomb. I suggest you give it a try. You can download a trial from the iWork Website and browse those pages to look at the features... who knows you might like it better than OO

Mine came with iWork08 on it. The only issue so far is that its struggling with some imported pictures in text boxes that are in my documents (.docx). I'm putting the latest microsoft office on it tomorrow to see if it will handle it better. I'm already a few weeks into making study documents for this block so I need to salvage what I have. Though I might start from scratch in iWork next block and compare.

This thing is awesome. Pepsina did you get a case or a screen protector? I'm not sure what the good ones are beyond what is available at my uni's book store at overmarked prices.

This thing is awesome. Pepsina did you get a case or a screen protector? I'm not sure what the good ones are beyond what is available at my uni's book store at overmarked prices.

Why would you need a screen protector? It is glass and it protects the screen. Are you talking about anti-glare films? There are some out there. Try Amazon.

As for cases, I'd just recommend a sleeve to put it in while traveling or while in your bag. A case can be bulky or take away from the look of the MB.

Why would you need a screen protector? It is glass and it protects the screen. Are you talking about anti-glare films? There are some out there. Try Amazon.

As for cases, I'd just recommend a sleeve to put it in while traveling or while in your bag. A case can be bulky or take away from the look of the MB.

Yeah, i meant an anti-glare screen, sorry. Thanks for the suggestions. I stumbled upon an apple forum with a lot of good answers. They are as obsessed with their macs as we are with the ins and outs of medical school!

FYI everyone. The White MB was quietly refreshed with an upgraded processor, FSB, 9400M, and 2GB standard. The price stays the same at $999 ($949 ed price).

I didn't get a screen protector, I actually like the glossy! It makes all the colors pop. And I have no problem with glare even in the lecture hall even with all the bright fluorescent lights. Sometimes I just have to adjust the tilt a hair and then its perfect.

My backpack has a built in computer protection compartment so I didn't buy a sleeve but I think I might so I can carry it in my purse too. I was in the apple store in the mall and I liked the ones they carried there (I think they are on the website too) but they are probably overpriced. They had really good padding.

Hey guys. If you bought after 1/6 you can upgrade to iLife '09 (For $10) when it starts shipping. It should start shipping soon. It was released on the 6th. (Since editing it has started shipping so you can try to get your copy for $10 if you'd like).

http://www.apple.com/ilife/uptodate/

O and psipsina I have a backpack with a notebook pocket too but I like having another layer of protection by having the sleeve. I do recommend this one. You do have to spend a few more dollars ($25 total) for free shipping though.

Last edited: