Eeeek!!! Forgot my interview apparel!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AverageMan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking through my clothes inventory for my interviews for the next two days, and had the following realization:

Suit - Check
Shoes - Check
Shirt - Check
Socks - Check
Tie - ??? WTF? Where is it? ::scramble:: AHHHH!!!!

So basically I'm sans tie. I suppose I'll have to go with my ensemble just without the tie, which wouldn't look terrible I guess. There's no place around here that I could buy a tie from either before my interviews. Any ideas on how I could improve my no-tie situation? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by AverageMan
I was looking through my clothes inventory for my interviews for the next two days, and had the following realization:

Suit - Check
Shoes - Check
Shirt - Check
Socks - Check

So basically I'm sans tie. I suppose I'll have to go with my ensemble just without the tie, which wouldn't look terrible I guess. There's no place around here that I could buy a tie from either before my interviews. Any ideas on how I could improve my no-tie situation? Thanks.

Are you staying with a student host? Does the city youre in have mass transit or do you have a car? Hmm, cant think of too much else. Im sure if you go talk to the med students the night before the interview, a few will have a tie thatll go with your ensemble.

Maybe one of your fellow male interviewees brought an extra tie you could borrow. I know I leave an extra tie in my car when I go to interviews (in case I spill my morning OJ all over myself).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hitting up a student host isn't an option, as I'm staying in a hotel. I have to be at the interview at 8:00 AM, so finding a place that is going to be open that early will be hard, much less trying to finagle my way around Boston's mass transit system. I took the train in, so no car either :(

Hitting up a student host isn't an option, as I'm staying in a hotel. I have to be at the interview at 8:00 AM, so finding a place that is going to be open that early will be hard, much less trying to finagle my way around Boston's mass transit system. I took the train in, so no car either :(

There are no Walmarts in Boston?? A cheap tie is better than no tie at all.

Oh yea...depending on the "niceness" of your hotel...you might be able to get the concierge to get you a nice tie.

Suit - Check
Shoes - Check
Shirt - Check
Socks - Check

When I went to my interview I brought two ties in case of an emergency. You may want to see if anyone else staying at the hotel is interviewing and ask to borrow. Or you could just stand in the lobby and ask the incoming people if they would sell you their tie.

If you are flying there you should be able to find one in the airport. Otherwise, I think the concierge idea is a good one.

yeah if you cant find anything...

then just play it like a pop star look ;)

i mean if you at a hotel maybe one of the workers can hook you up or something. i mean if its a motel 6 or something i guess they cant help you out but if it is a somewhat nice place im sure someone can hook you up just as long as you return it to them asap.

be extreme.

Originally posted by danwsu
ask the incoming people if they would sell you their tie.

Oh!! Good idea!

ooh...i see price gouging opportunities....

I'm sure you'll be fine without the tie tomorrow, but are you headed to Tufts on Tuesday? (I am and noticed you posted the same date.)

Anyhow, the Copley Mall is a good bet for a tie (in Copley Square.)

-SavvyR

Members don't see this ad :)
Try to find someone on SDN from the school you are interviewing at tomorrow to see if they can hook you up?

you could ask the hotel if they have any extra ties. either that, or you could ask one of the med students that you meet tomorrow if you could borrow their tie and then page them when you are done. minus one tie shouldn't be a big deal though, just button your shirt up all the way and tell them that one of your fellow applicants must have stolen your tie when you weren't looking. this will cast a cloud a suspicion over the rest of the interviewees, increasing your chances of being admitted.

Originally posted by Darth Vader
you could ask the hotel if they have any extra ties. either that, or you could ask one of the med students that you meet tomorrow if you could borrow their tie and then page them when you are done. minus one tie shouldn't be a big deal though, just button your shirt up all the way and tell them that one of your fellow applicants must have stolen your tie when you weren't looking. this will cast a cloud a suspicion over the rest of the interviewees, increasing your chances of being admitted.

...while at the same time making him look like an honest, competent individual worthy of someone's life being entrusted to his care
thefinger.gif

Call a talk radio station or a DJ at a station where the listeners actually own ties--tell your story--add a little flare--you may have a hundred ties before morning and maybe a few other interesting offers.:D

AverageMan's 10PM Adventure

I headed to the front desk (I'm not staying at a hotel classy enough to have a concierge :)) and asked him if there was a 24hr Walmart nearby. He said there wasn't, but that there was a Marshall's and an Old Navy 100 meters down the road, and that he thought they closed at 10 and if I hurried maybe I could catch them. I hurried down the road and lo and behold .... both of them were closed. Turns out that things close at 6PM on sundays. Anyways, there was a Super Stop and Shop open in the plaza, so I checked it out. It had a surprisingly large assortment of socks and underwear for both men and women, but nothing in a tie (I would have even bought a cheezy christmas themed tie). No luck there. Further down the plaza was a ethnic chineese market, so I figured what could it hurt to check it out. There was a gift shop in the market, but it was closed. It was frustrating too since I could see a rack of ties inside the shop. As I was walking back to the hotel, I passed a guy outside the hotel. I explained my situation to him and offered him $20 for any ties he had. He looked perplexed and slightly worried at my request. For some reason this attracted the attention of a cop who was nearby. I explained what I was trying to do, and he politely told me to not do it anymore and move along. As I went back into the lobby of the hotel, the desk clerk asked if I had found a tie. I said I hadn't, and he went into the back room to talk to his co-workers. He came out with a tie that belonged to one of them and said I could borrow it for tomorrow as long as I returned it. So all in all, it worked out. One hour of work for not taking 5 seconds to remember to pack a tie. What a night :p

That tie is gonna bring very good luck!

great story, AM! You're gonna have a great day tommorow. Why? Because it cannot get more stressful than scrambling for a tie in a strange neighborhood and having the cops bust your chops. :D

Good luck tomorrow!

Originally posted by acab
That tie is gonna bring very good luck!

if it brings good luck, you should definitely keep it. the co-worker will never find you if you are out of town.

Originally posted by Darth Vader
if it brings good luck, you should definitely keep it. the co-worker will never find you if you are out of town.

I couldn't do that, that would be mean to the guy who helped me out, and it would be unethical....

And I'm staying in the same hotel for my Tufts interview on tuesday, so I can't slip quietly into the night :p :p :p

when i went to my UBuffalo interview i woke up and proceeded to put on my suit... much to my surprise finding that my tie was back in Michigan at my school. being 8 oclock in the morning i had to get to the school and i looked for open stores where i could pop in and buy a tie... no luck though. So, i just unbuttoned the top button and rocked the suit sans tie. one guy i interviewed with there even asked me to take off my jacket so we could be more relaxed... so i dont think he cared. anyway, they sent out my acceptance letter the day after i interviewed, so not only did the lack of tie not hurt, it may have helped portray me as a little more laid back and chill than the others. moral of the story: if you have to go with no tie, just do it with confidence and you should have no worries.

AverageMan's Post Interview Report

After getting the tie, I was psyched. After overcoming this predicament, I was ready for a great interview and went to bed with great anticipation for the next day. Unfortunately, I woke up the next day with a case of the bubonic plague (or something similar. In either case, I was dying :) ) I pressed on regardless. I saved my pep and vigor for the interview, so I think I ended up giving the wrong impression to the other interviewees and med students since I really wasn't up for talking. Anyways, I was lucky that my interview was one of the first ones to come up, and it was showtime. The interview actually went pretty well I think, I had some good answers to the questions, with only one fumble that I can recall. At the end, the interviewer said that I was a strong candidate and that I had a lot of energy (score!!! :) ). I know it doesn't necessarily mean much (I heard the same thing at Rochester and I got waitlisted), but it was still good to hear. All I can hope now is that the guy wasn't just trying to soften the blow of my eventual rejection which he knows is coming. Anyways, after the interview, I tried to hang around as long as possible, but I ducked out before the tour. I went back to my hotel after a quick trip to a grocery store, and spent the rest of the day in a NyQuil induced coma. So in all, a good interview. I'll bump up the thread again once I get my decision. On an unrelated but cool note, when I interviewed at Tufts the day after BU, ony of my interviewers aske me where else I had interviewed. I mentioned BU, and he asked me who at BU I interviewed with, since he was also a faculty member at BU. I told him the name of my interviewer at BU and he was like "Oh, I've known him for a long time. He was one of my residents 20 years ago". I thought that was cool :)

AverageMan's Post Interview Report

After getting the tie, I was psyched. After overcoming this predicament, I was ready for a great interview and went to bed with great anticipation for the next day. Unfortunately, I woke up the next day with a case of the bubonic plague (or something similar. In either case, I was dying :) ) I pressed on regardless. I saved my pep and vigor for the interview, so I think I ended up giving the wrong impression to the other interviewees and med students since I really wasn't up for talking. Anyways, I was lucky that my interview was one of the first ones to come up, and it was showtime. The interview actually went pretty well I think, I had some good answers to the questions, with only one fumble that I can recall. At the end, the interviewer said that I was a strong candidate and that I had a lot of energy (score!!! :) ). I know it doesn't necessarily mean much (I heard the same thing at Rochester and I got waitlisted), but it was still good to hear. All I can hope now is that the guy wasn't just trying to soften the blow of my eventual rejection which he knows is coming. Anyways, after the interview, I tried to hang around as long as possible, but I ducked out before the tour. I went back to my hotel after a quick trip to a grocery store, and spent the rest of the day in a NyQuil induced coma. So in all, a good interview. I'll bump up the thread again once I get my decision. On an unrelated but cool note, when I interviewed at Tufts the day after BU, ony of my interviewers aske me where else I had interviewed. I mentioned BU, and he asked me who at BU I interviewed with, since he was also a faculty member at BU. I told him the name of my interviewer at BU and he was like "Oh, I've known him for a long time. He was one of my residents 20 years ago". I thought that was cool :)

THEY PUT ANTHRAX ON THE TIE
eek3.gif

here's a word of advice for anyone who gets really bad pharyngitis and can't speak on an interview (this may also work for laryngitis, not sure): robitussin to thin and clear mucus, sudafed to keep it from being secreted, and the coup de grace, methylprednisone to reduce all of the inflamation.

Oh, and if you're still contaigious, insist on kissing all of your fellow interviewees on the mouth...pretend it's a cultural thing...

good luck, sickos...

If anyone ever needs a tie I can get one to you just about anywhere in the country any day of the week with even a few hours notice. . . yes, I really can. And I'll do it for free.<br>
Just email me: [email protected]

Originally posted by smc927
If anyone ever needs a tie I can get one to you just about anywhere in the country any day of the week with even a few hours notice. . . yes, I really can. And I'll do it for free.<br>

is it just ties or can u get us anything we want?
either way, u must have some major connections

wow....how?

I have a pretty extensive network of connections (and a UPS account), but it would have to be pretty important to justify using those connections. You know - if you just forget your toothbrush, too bad, chew some gum. If you only have white tennis shoes to wear with a black suit, then I can help you out. <br> Not everywhere, but pretty darn close.

Any of those connections on any adcoms?? ;) ;) ;)

Wow!!! I had the same problem. I had back to back interviews... one in Houston and the next day in Galvaston. Well when I got to Houston and as I was unpacking i did a run through check. Shirt, tie, socks, shoes all check..... suit, no check. I forgot my suit!! I ran to the galleria and bought a suit. No time to get it tailored ( and even then I couldnt take it back) So I did a home hem job and wore the ugly a$$ suit to two interviews. I then just returned the suit to the store.
So if you forget your suit I highly recommend renting one from Foley's... you can return it no questions asked.

Does your last name end in a vowel?

I have a pretty extensive network of connections (and a UPS account), but it would have to be pretty important to justify using those connections. You know - if you just forget your toothbrush, too bad, chew some gum. If you only have white tennis shoes to wear with a black suit, then I can help you out. <br> Not everywhere, but pretty darn close.

Originally posted by exmike
Does your last name end in a vowel?
<br><br>
Nope.

thats pretty impressive yo...thanks for your offer of help in a dire emergency....

Update - 1/15/2004

AverageMan gets accepted to BU. I should have kept that tie :) :) :) :)

Congrats!! I enjoyed reading your story.

I feel bad... if I would have read this way back when I would have jumped on the T and brought you a tie. Well anyway, I guess it worked out for you in the end! Congrats!

Update - 1/15/2004

AverageMan gets accepted to BU. I should have kept that tie :) :) :) :)

mazel tov and sima tov... congratulations! it all works out in the end.

i really enjoyed this thread! it's like a "feel good" thread. you got your tie and acceptance. and all of sdn was super helpful with suggestions... very creative and awesome suggestions, too! it's so nice when people do nice things to help other people out. :)

Congratulations!! I will take an emergency tie with me to my interviews next year, but will insist on getting the front desk guy's tie. Do you by any chance have the guy's name that you borrowed it from? Maybe he will sell it to me for $100? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Congrats man!