R

Revolution #9

So I was looking around on MDapplicants.com today, and I came across an account that I swear should be mine in a few months. Same exact GPA (both overall and BCPM), same MCAT score (with a similar breakdown by section), similar school (well-known private school in the South), and very comparable extra curriculars (research, volunteering, leadership). The person was even a social science major/life science minor like myself! :eek: Needless to say, it felt very strange to see an account that so closely mirrored my own. Has anyone else ever come across this? It sure felt a bit odd...
 

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
1,028
1
Status
I've never used MDApps, but that is pretty weird....maybe your long lost twin?
 

MedicineBird

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2004
686
1
Status
Revolution #9 said:
So I was looking around on MDapplicants.com today, and I came across an account that I swear should be mine in a few months. Same exact GPA (both overall and BCPM), same MCAT score (with a similar breakdown by section), similar school (well-known private school in the South), and very comparable extra curriculars (research, volunteering, leadership). The person was even a social science major/life science minor like myself! :eek: Needless to say, it felt very strange to see an account that so closely mirrored my own. Has anyone else ever come across this? It sure felt a bit odd...

:eek: welcome to the Outer Limits. doodoodoodoodooodoodoodooo :eek:
 

firebody

Banned
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2004
591
0
Status
Revolution #9 said:
So I was looking around on MDapplicants.com today, and I came across an account that I swear should be mine in a few months. Same exact GPA (both overall and BCPM), same MCAT score (with a similar breakdown by section), similar school (well-known private school in the South), and very comparable extra curriculars (research, volunteering, leadership). The person was even a social science major/life science minor like myself! :eek: Needless to say, it felt very strange to see an account that so closely mirrored my own. Has anyone else ever come across this? It sure felt a bit odd...
it just means you're not special. don't feel bad. a good majority of applicants each year pretty much carry the same stats and extracurriculars....it's no biggie. it's hard these days to stand out. even volunteering abroad brings out the occasional groan from admissions commitee..'oh, here's another one that volunteered in Africa..yawn.' the funniest thing though is when 4.0 gpa and 40+ MCAT student wonders why they don't get interviews at top schools like hopkins or harvard - what they don't realize is that unless they've shown potential to be leaders in the field of medicine, chances of getting in the school let alone the interview is pretty much null. i actually applaud these institutions for doing that....if you do happen to be lucky enough to be invited for an interview to harvard or hopkins, then a congratulations to what an outstanding student you must be.
 

MedicineBird

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2004
686
1
Status
mustangsally65 said:
Isn't that the Twilight Zone? :confused:

I knew someone was going to say that. THe defense I've decided on is that "dodododododooooodddododododddoooo" implies no specific tune. It could be Innagaddadavida for all I know.
 

45408

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
16,976
47
Status
Resident [Any Field]
16000 applicants....good chance that at least a few people are gonna be quite close.
 

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
8,510
6
Status
Medical Student
MedicineBird said:
keep dreaming
is this a playful romance or something?
 

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
959
2
Status
Medical Student
Psycho Doctor said:
is this a playful romance or something?
A romance on SDN? We have reached new heights of nerd-dom.
 

MedicineBird

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2004
686
1
Status
Ambs said:
A romance on SDN? We have reached new heights of nerd-dom.

Hahahaha -- nooooo. Khenon is actually engaged to be married in HAWAII this summer. Alas, she is already spoken for.

On another note -- sorry to have participated in the hijacking of this thread.
 

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
959
2
Status
Medical Student
MedicineBird said:
Hahahaha -- nooooo. Khenon is actually engaged to be married in HAWAII this summer. Alas, she is already spoken for.

On another note -- sorry to have participated in the hijacking of this thread.
So, uh, does that mean you're single and available? ;)






:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
 

patzan

Waiting for March 20th
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2004
711
2
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
MedicineBird said:
I knew someone was going to say that. THe defense I've decided on is that "dodododododooooodddododododddoooo" implies no specific tune. It could be Innagaddadavida for all I know.
Eight doo's? That's definitely Twilight Zone...also eerie.
 

MedicineBird

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2004
686
1
Status
Ambs said:
So, uh, does that mean you're single and available? ;)
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

As flattered as I am by your interest, you have already offended me by interviewing in Portland and not even bothering to take a small trip over to Seattle to say hi to me. Plus it seems you have a love for fruit I could never share as I am allergic to most unprocessed fruits. Ambs, it will never work between us. Best of luck in the pursuit of your future on line romances.
 

MedicineBird

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2004
686
1
Status
patzan said:
Eight doo's? That's definitely Twilight Zone...also eerie.

8 doo's could be the opening line to "Georgia on my Mind"
 

GuyLaroche

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
798
1
Status
This was a fun thread. Now, back to obsessing about Harvard. So if I am complete and cannot log into the financial aid website, that means I am rejected, right?
 

MedicineBird

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2004
686
1
Status
GuyLaroche said:
This was a fun thread. Now, back to obsessing about Harvard. So if I am complete and cannot log into the financial aid website, that means I am rejected, right?
no but it may mean you have been exposed to Ebola and that your mom was actually born a man. I read this in USN&WR so it must be true.
 

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
959
2
Status
Medical Student
GuyLaroche said:
This was a fun thread. Now, back to obsessing about Harvard. So if I am complete and cannot log into the financial aid website, that means I am rejected, right?
You should have written Harvard a short story or play as an update.
 

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
959
2
Status
Medical Student
MedicineBird said:
As flattered as I am by your interest, you have already offended me by interviewing in Portland and not even bothering to take a small trip over to Seattle to say hi to me. Plus it seems you have a love for fruit I could never share as I am allergic to most unprocessed fruits. Ambs, it will never work between us. Best of luck in the pursuit of your future on line romances.
AH! But you were my top choice! :mad:

How can you reject me with such a swift, seemingly apathetic review of my credentials? So I have a red flag or two on my application! But my numbers are beautifully proportionate!

I withdraw from further consideration. :mad:
 

MedicineBird

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2004
686
1
Status
Ambs said:
AH! But you were my top choice! :mad:

How can you reject me with such a swift, seemingly apathetic review of my credentials? So I have a red flag or two on my application! But my numbers are beautifully proportionate!

I withdraw from further consideration. :mad:
Oh sh!t -- you're right!! I forgot to lead you on and build false hopes before cashing your check!
 

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
959
2
Status
Medical Student
MedicineBird said:
Oh sh!t -- you're right!! I forgot to lead you on and build false hopes before cashing your check!
Yeah, who was looking for a long-term thing?! It was supposed to be a short, sweet deal ended abruptly with no real explanation. Alas, it will never be.
 

MedicineBird

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2004
686
1
Status
Ambs said:
Yeah, who was looking for a long-term thing?! It was supposed to be a short, sweet deal ended abruptly with no real explanation. Alas, it will never be.
so you're after a Tulane whereas I am more into a VCU type of rejection.
 

getunconcsious

Very tired PGY1
10+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2004
1,094
9
36
Cloud 8
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
firebody said:
- what they don't realize is that unless they've shown potential to be leaders in the field of medicine, chances of getting in the school let alone the interview is pretty much null.
But I just want to be a garden-variety follower in medicine. Is that so wrong? :confused:
 

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
959
2
Status
Medical Student
getunconcsious said:
But I just want to be a garden-variety follower in medicine. Is that so wrong? :confused:
How are you feeling today? Better?
 

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
959
2
Status
Medical Student
MedicineBird said:
so you're after a Tulane whereas I am more into a VCU type of rejection.
You speak the truth - this could never work. :(











:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
 

MedicineBird

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2004
686
1
Status
spoze the name of this thread shoud be changed to "random babbling"
 

getunconcsious

Very tired PGY1
10+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2004
1,094
9
36
Cloud 8
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
MedicineBird said:
spoze the name of this thread shoud be changed to "random babbling"

LOL, spoze you're right. Now, back to fulfilling my mission of being SDN's version of 'Debbie Downer' from SNL :thumbup:
 

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
959
2
Status
Medical Student
getunconcsious said:
Actually yea, thanks for asking! My bootleg SSRI's have finally kicked in it seems. :)
I'm glad you're feeling better. ;) But you're feeling better because you're going to med school this fall, and you rock.

On a "serious" note, I roomed a patient today who was on Celexa, trazodone, temazepam, morphine, and oxycodone. If any one of us were on those meds, we would be out for week(s).
 

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
959
2
Status
Medical Student
MedicineBird said:
spoze the name of this thread shoud be changed to "random babbling"
Why does the sign in the restroom at my work say:

Wash your hands "before" you return to work.

Why is the before in quotations? What, is it a joke, like no one really does it? Did someone say that, and they're just quoting that person? WHY?
 

getunconcsious

Very tired PGY1
10+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2004
1,094
9
36
Cloud 8
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Ambs said:
I'm glad you're feeling better. ;) But you're feeling better because you're going to med school this fall, and you rock.

On a "serious" note, I roomed a patient today who was on Celexa, trazodone, temazepam, morphine, and oxycodone. If any one of us were on those meds, we would be out for week(s).

Thanks ambs! :love: And to think I was depressed all this time over UNSOM...I must have been crazy.

All I can say about your patient on the tricyclic/painkiller cocktail...that better be absolutely necessary.

And the handwashing sign in your bathroom at work is indeed confusing. In the lab where I work, the PI's started using 1:10 dilutions of liquid soap at the handwashing sink! Cheap bastard! How much can it possibly cost to have real soap when you've got RO1 grants??
 

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
959
2
Status
Medical Student
getunconcsious said:
Thanks ambs! :love: And to think I was depressed all this time over UNSOM...I must have been crazy.

All I can say about your patient on the tricyclic/painkiller cocktail...that better be absolutely necessary.

And the handwashing sign in your bathroom at work is indeed confusing. In the lab where I work, the PI's started using 1:10 dilutions of liquid soap at the handwashing sink! Cheap bastard! How much can it possibly cost to have real soap when you've got RO1 grants??
You're welcome! :) UNSOM is ridiculous - they seriously need to get around to saying they'd love to have you. And then you can reject them!

Yeah, that patient... is... interesting. There's quite a few of them like that, and I don't know what to think of it any more.

The soap at my work is so bad on our hands that is actually causes dryness on the verge of bleeding knuckles. :eek: Yeah. So, I actually bought soft soap for us and some Lubriderm.
 

abraxas20

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2004
261
3
Milwaukee, WI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If someone is allergic to most unprocessed fruits, what part of the fruit are they actually allergic to? I am totally curious about this.
 

MedicineBird

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2004
686
1
Status
abraxas20 said:
If someone is allergic to most unprocessed fruits, what part of the fruit are they actually allergic to? I am totally curious about this.
If you figure this out be sure to let every allergist I've seen know. It's not insecticides (I've done bleach washes). It started out during puberty as only being allergic to apples and thanks to IgG has moved on to pears, peaches, apricots, plums -- pretty much anything that grows on a tree. I am also allergic to Birch and almonds which happen to be in the same family as apples. I can eat them after they've been cooked so you'd think it's a protein that denatures -- but the liklihood of that dereases as the number on the list of fruits increases. Another theory is that it is the sulfonamides in the pits of the fruit leaching into the flesh of the fruit. Either way I have yet to find an allergist that knows what to do about it. I would do unearthly things to be able to eat a peach.
 

liverotcod

Lieutenant Crunch
15+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2003
2,336
6
Status
Attending Physician
Revolution #9 said:
So I was looking around on MDapplicants.com today, and I came across an account that I swear should be mine in a few months.
When you created the profile you must have checked the "Release results to past" checkbox.
 

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
43,161
84
Wild west of Mistytown
Status
MedicineBird said:
no but it may mean you have been exposed to Ebola and that your mom was actually born a man. I read this in USN&WR so it must be true.
:laugh: This might be quote worthy ... and must be ingrained in this thread forever.
 

MedicineBird

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2004
686
1
Status
mshheaddoc said:
:laugh: This might be quote worthy ... and must be ingrained in this thread forever.

So nice to know my humor is appreciated.